2001 D9 406 Anti Pollution Fault

Peter C

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
This car has an EW10J4 engine.

Started the car on my way back from the shops. Symptoms are rough running, lack of power and, of course, the "anti pollution fault" message on the centre display. With an old 504 engine my first thought would be a dud plug, lead, blocked carby jet etc. My first thought with the 406 is a coil pack, an O2 sensor or something else.

Any thoughts? Do I take it somewhere for a diagnostic test?

Help!!

Okay. Thanks. Anyone out there in Melbourne eastern suburbs with the right gear? Maybe I'll just have to putt putt down the road to Alpine Affaire.

I haven't been able to locate a fault code reader yet, but thought I'd check the spark plugs, which I cleaned and regapped. They are Champion plugs although I didn't take note of the number. They were last done about 60Ks ago and look like they could do with replacing.

This car has an EW10J4 RFN engine. The label under the bonnet says "Bosch FR8 LDC" plugs, but the Haynes Manual says "XU engine Bosch FR8 LDC" or "EW engine Bosch FR8 ME". Does anyone know what the difference is, and what the right plug is?

An update, for info purposes.

After being unable to locate a fault code reader ( I wasn't game enough to drive it to a place that has one either ) I had a friend come over and we both agreed it sounded for all the world like a cylinder was out of action. I took the plunge and bought a new coil pack and it turned out to be the cause. Although the engine ran well, the "anti pollution fault" came on for between 5 and 10 seconds, with one beep after which the error message disappeared. Drove it over to Alpine Affaire, who are now in Bayswater (Vic) who cleared the fault code ( intermittent firing) for me.

All is well'ish with the world.