2 cv speedometer

I thought the speedo cable went to the front wheel hub. Or am I confused.
Jaahn

Cable goes to gearbox. A fairly straightforward and normal arrangement

Cable goes to gearbox. A fairly straightforward and normal arrangement
Thanks. We undid the cable and attached a drill and bingo speedo worked. Re-attached same and no speedo. Is it a gearbox out job to find the problem ? Have a '69 ID with the same problem.Purchased a $50 GPS based speedy which projects onto the screen but does nothing for the odometer. Odometer readings are needed for SI rego in Tassie.

I thought the speedo cable went to the front wheel hub. Or am I confused.
Jaahn
All the old VWs did (Type1, 2 and 3. The cable just went through the hollow LH stub axle and the bearing cap had a square hole in it.
The essence of the KISS principle.🤩

images (26).jpeg

likely either the cable has snapped or some has pulled on the cable at some point and separate the end of the cable from the cogs.
Next step would be to remove the cable from the gear box. If is like my '78 dyane, it's just a matter of removing the retaining bolt and jiggling the end of the cable out (gear box in situ)
Do you have a manual for the car? this should have photos.
Other option would be to take it down to Balki in Sheffield

Thanks. We undid the cable and attached a drill and bingo speedo worked. Re-attached same and no speedo. Is it a gearbox out job to find the problem ? Have a '69 ID with the same problem.Purchased a $50 GPS based speedy which projects onto the screen but does nothing for the odometer. Odometer readings are needed for SI rego in Tassie.
There should be a little gear inside the gearbox that will pull out. It’s either missing or stripped

Stick an old iPhone on dash and get the odometer app so much easier
gps.jpg