1999 406 Coupe Auto trans fluid check and add.

ultspnch

Tadpole
Hi! I want to check and possibly add fluid to our auto trans 406 Coupe.

I have seen the auto trans dipstick below the air? filter and can get to it. Do I check level with engine running after a few gear engagements?

What kind of fluid spec should one buy to add fluid here in Australia?

Thanks for all ideas.

Ron in Brisbane

One helpful member on the 406 club website says this;

The auto box is the German ZF manufactured 4HP20. You must use LT 71141 spec fluid only in the 4HP20. ZF claim that any other fluid will kill the box.

I wonder if this is a spec number known in Australia?

I know it's a long shot but if you have the hand book then it should tell you the oil to use in the specifications section.
Certainly mixing brands and different specification oils is a bad thing.

Ask member dmccurtayne , he is a member here, as he worked in a dealership and has a great knowledge of these things.

Also - it has always been my understanding that the level should be checked when hot.

Cheers
Roland

I wonder if this is a spec number known in Australia?
Would you have, by any chance, carried out a search (top right of page: "Search and press enter") of that number, or perhaps a Google search of that number?

Hi! I want to check and possibly add fluid to our auto trans 406 Coupe.

I have seen the auto trans dipstick below the air? filter and can get to it. Do I check level with engine running after a few gear engagements?

What kind of fluid spec should one buy to add fluid here in Australia?

Thanks for all ideas.

Ron in Brisbane

Two oils come highly reccomended for this box which is also used in the following 207, 307, 407 series which came after yours
The ZF4HP20.

CASTROL Transmax-Z which has the original LT71141 spec. and actually surpasses it.
This oil is full synthetic.

PENRITE ATF-FS Full synthetic: Surpasses the LT71141 spec.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/atf-fs-full-syn#/

How many klm has the box done and has it ever had an oil change?
Rather than just adding new oil to old, it's far better to drain out old oil and replace.