1993 GTI 505 wagon - Removing the diabolical automatic transmission rear bracket

Hugo

Fellow Frogger
Hi all

I'm trying to remove the automatic transmission from my 505 GTI wagon.

The rear of the transmission in the wagon has a complex bracket called the 'engine mounting assembly' where it joins the torque tube and I'm having trouble removing this bracket.

Does anyone here have any tips for removing it?

The Haynes manual has no real details and although the Peugeot workshop manual has useful diagrams, it is also short on details. Here is a diagram from the workshop manual with my annotations in red:

The bracket v2.png

And here after the transmission and torque tube have been separated:
The bracket - disassembled.png

The bracket consists of a large bracket and a small bracket joined with two arms that have rubber bushings.

The four bolts joining the transmission and torque tube are cap bolts that I have marked 'b'. Removing them is the goal of this whole operation, but the top two are hard to access. Getting to them will be much easier, I think, if I can remove the bracket first, as the workshop manual suggests.

The problem is, once I have removed the large bracket bolts (marked 'd'), the large bracket is still connected to the small bracket which is, I think, firmly sandwiched between the transmission and torque tube - a mechanical Catch 22!

In other words, I need to remove the bolts marked 'b' in order to remove the bracket so that I can access the bolts marked 'b' to remove them! :crazy: Ok, so maybe I'm overthinking this one. :)

There is also another bolt that I have marked 'c' which also joins the transmission and the small bracket.

So, I'm sure there are any number of bad ways of separating the transmission and torque tube, but has anyone done it before who can suggest the best way?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Hugo :)

Last edited:
Many years since I have done so.Mine was a 2 l injection.appears that the frame wraps around front of torque tube.Drop rear end after jacking body up...roll torque tube and tail shaft back...remove whole support system.Hopefully.

Thanks for the ideas Pekay.
Mine is a 2.2 l injection. Yes, the bracket wraps around the torque tube (see the second image).
Still hoping to hear from someone who has done this job on this model.

From memory you remove the front bolts from the arms then undo the six nuts that hold the large bracket to the body it should the slide out to the rear. support the back of the box whilee undoing these parts then as you lower the rear of the box a little it should all pull away. this then allows you tto undo the allen screws and separate the diff and torque tube.
I hope you are doing this on a hoist so you can lower the box on a cradle/ platform because it is a very heavy unit.

Thanks for that Ian! I'll give it a go.

I'm using a transmission jack to take the weight, thanks.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is the promised follow up.

I got the bracket out thankfully.

I said there were 6 main bolts, I should have said nuts. Also, the bracket in my 1993 wagon is an updated design on that shown in the workshop manual (produced in 1986). It is a bit bigger and has 12 main nuts, not 6! FWIW, here is the large bracket:
IMG_20200322_120009 sml.png

I could then remove the arms, the large bracket and the four cap bolts. I could then finally lower the transmission.

Thanks again,

Apparently they were originally designed as a commercial vehicle.
Guess someone decided to beef it up??

The 505 was assembled in 2 parts originally.
The upper body was one part
The other was all the running gear, engine
The body was lowered onto the running gear a few bolts here and there and finished quick assembly :)

Maintenance really difficult though :(