1993 505 GTI wagon – How to stop the ATF leaks?

I can't find it just yet, but I did just call

Seal Imports Pty Ltd
11 Iris Place, Acacia Ridge QLD 4110
(07) 3711 4004

and they suggested that if all else fails, to use a gland packing, in either teflon or graphite. They sell it by the meter and do mail order if you just give them your credit card number.

However some other place close to you may sell the same thing.

I'm not too familiar with gland packing, and can't suggest how to keep it in there. but it would be easy to find out...

Hi

@Pug72, thanks for the tip. The challenge may be that the speedo seal is in the rear housing and most likely Peugeot specific (and not standard from the manufacturer of the transmission, ZF). It is also unlikely to be in overhaul kits for the same reason. I have checked their website under Peugeot 505 and unfortunately it is not listed but I have sent them a query email on the off chance that they can help.

@Beano, thanks for those ideas! Gland packing is certainly thinking outside the box. :) I'll bear that in mind as an alternative.

I'm still wondering - has anyone replaced this seal?

Cheers,
Hugo :)

spacer ring . a band of material .25 thick that when fitted would take your 8 out to 8.5 to fit in the housing ,,if you took some plastic sheet about 6.5 mm ,cut a hole in it with a hole saw bigger than 8.5 ,you now have a washer ,clamp that puppy up between two nuts two washers on a bolt ,stick the bolt in your battery drill ,hold the drill on and by using a file against the nylon ,turn it down till its a snug fit in the housing ,now clamp this down to a but of scrap pine with at least 4 screws around the outside ,if you happened to have a speed bore 8mm ,one of those ones with the little tangs that scribe the outer diameter ,you could use your trusty battery drill to gently take the centre out ,half way one side flip it over and drill from the other ,fit this to your seal with some locktight or similar ,sparingly on the inside and outside of ring ,fit this to the housing using the shaft to centre it leave it overnight to set , done ,as you can see iv got lots of time to spare ,cos of covid ,this may appear to be a desperado approach ,and i hope you dont have to go there ,but ,i thaught id just explain spacer ring ,pugs ps i think this is what beano is trying to do with gland packing ,

Hi pugwash,

Great, thanks for taking the time to describe that. :)

Just for clarification, the dimensions of the seal are 8.5x16x6.5 (8.5 mm ID, for a 16mm bore, 6.5 mm high). They look something like this: (this is a similar 8x16x7):
Sample seal 8x16x7.png

Cheers,

sorry was getting my id,s and od,s mixed up but you get the gist .pugs

Hi all

@Pugwash, yes, I get the gist. :) Thanks for the description.

I have found an obscure corner of the internet where the seal can be ordered. It is from the www.rumisota.eu website in Lithuania. FWIW, the brand is TCS from Taiwan. I ordered it yesterday, so fingers crossed that it finds its way to my letterbox. :) It could take a while of course.

Cheers

Lithuania is normally a reliable supplier

Hi all

The next challenge I faced with partially renovating and reinstalling the transmission was to replace the large o ring seal of the thrust ball at the end of the torque tube where it joins the u joint and the transmission.

Basically you need to place a place a thick o ring over the thrust ball which is significantly larger in diameter, so some stretching is necessary. Potentially a recipe for frustration, skinned knuckles and damage to the part.

Here is the o ring in comparison to the thrust ball:
IMG_20200425_170618 sml.png

I made up a special tool that acts like a ramp to get the o ring stretched over the ball. Here it is, with the o ring half way up the ramp (I carefully warmed the o ring to make it more pliable).
IMG_20200426_162410 sml.png

And here it is with the o ring in the final position behind the ball:
IMG_20200426_163050 sml.png

There may be a simpler way of doing this, but not that was obvious to me. So here it is as a reference in case it is useful to others in the future.

Cheers,