1992 Citroen BX 19tzi engine block

pdl1989

Tadpole
So I discovered recently my car was leaking coolant and the other day took it to the mechanic, who tells me the engine block is cracked. It still runs well and doesn’t overheat or show any signs of this other than the leak.
The mechanic is going to see what he can do, but I wondered if anyone here might know what my options are, whether or not I can permanently seal it or if I’d need a new engine block, where I might find one, or what a replacement is likely to cost.
Thanks in advance

I have an Mi16 block in Melbourne, pretty sure it will work as an 8 valve, Peter T could confirm.

Thanks for the response. That’s great. I’ve had a tough go of it since getting this car. If the mechanic can’t repair I guess another block is my best option. I should know soon.
Just one thing, who is Peter T?

@Ken W has a DKZ short block, DFZ short block and a full DKZ motor in North Brisbane.

You could use an Mi16 block but it will become a bitsa engine. ie you’ll need to use an Mi16 engine mount, drill a hole for the dipstick and hopefully the TZi runs the later eccentric tensioner. In the interests of originality is everything, I’d be looking for an 8V block.

Ok that sounds like it might be a bit of work. Better off with an 8v then. How about a DKZ short block? Will that suit?
Sorry I’m a total layman when it comes to this. Probably bit off more than I could chew buying an old Citroen, but I’m not giving up yet.
In case it matters, my car is the automatic hatchback version. There seems to be dozens of different BX’s all with slight differences so I thought I should clarify.

Yes the DKZ short block will be the same as what was in your TZI. Chat with Ken, it would probably be cheaper to get the full DKZ motor than to rebuild using one of the blocks only.

Bx Tri was a DFZ
Bx Tri122 and Tzi was DKZ

Hi pdl,

I have been down in the shed looking for and at these DKZ remains and I need to do a bit more testing before I can give you some idea about exactly what they are. So hopefully I will have some more news tomorrow.

Cheers, Ken

Hi Guys, sorry to hijack this post, but I've got a BC 16V GTI. It was not starting, so replaced ignitor, and ecu. Now starts, but runs rough. My mechanic changed the rotor arm just on case but still the same. Have run out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Was running great before it stopped. Thanks, Sohan

How do the spark plugs look?

Compression test.

Injectors can also get a bit mucky if they sit for a while.

Cam belt tight and dowels line up?

So you've replaced dizzie rotor but not cap? I have had caps fail (without being able to see any cracks or spark tracks) at about 20 years old...

How do the spark plugs look?

Compression test.

Injectors can also get a bit mucky if they sit for a while.

Cam belt tight and dowels line up?
All spark plugs replaced. Cam belt fine. Have not done a test. It was only sitting for 2 months.

Hi Paddy,

It seems that once you have answered in a Conversation, you lose access to it. I will start work on getting the engine ready for you to collect. I have to disconnect a gearbox and some other stuff you will not need. Send me a message on our conversation and I will let you know how I am going and when it would be the best time to pickup.

Cheers, Ken

Hi Ken

I can still access all my "Conversations", but when I click on the envelope I just see "You have no recent conversations".

I then click on "Show all..." (under above msg) and everything is there - including old private messages.

Cheers
Alec

My BX is all sorted out and running sweet one again. Thank you to everyone for their assistance.

I hope all the other cars on this page are soon sorted.

Happy motoring. Sohan