1981 Renault 20TS

Hi Tony,

I recently had a similar oil leak from the dizzy of my R20. I too pulled it down and replaced the oil seal at the bottom. The original seal is 12.5 X 22 X 4.5 (or 5). I could not get either of those but got a 12.5 X 22 X 6 and fitted that. So far no oil leaks. I got the seal from CBC in Adelaide.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

John

You have my 100% approval on the rear badges, and on the whole project.
As soon as I saw there was an update on this thread I was keen to see how you were going.
You are making me homesick for my 20TS.

(Above post continued)...

Before everything could back on, the valve clearances needed checking. Only the one was obviously noisy, but it seemed prudent to do them all. I used the jack up a front wheel and turn it to get TDC method for each cylinder in firing order.

View attachment 125534

Cheers,
Tony.

I'm being a thickhead and can't remember how to attach a photo... but if this can be opened, it is of a similar motor.. as clean as it can be.

Enjoying this thread. The old banger R20 I bought decades ago was possibly one of my fave Renaults.
Jo

Attachments

• cleannn.pdf
    784.6 KB · Views: 294
Hello Tony
I am not a very regular user of AussieFrogs, and just logged on to see if there was any interest in the 5pcs 4 stud wheels we are about to take to the recycleler tomorrow.
Don't know if you can find my post before Covid 19 about our 20. I now have alloy wheels on mine.

Do you have a parts manual or workshop manual that you could identify the distributor bits you need. OOps just looked in mine and they only list the complete thing plus attaching bits and the "O" ring.

Very interesting reading and happy to see another 20. on the go.

Cheers
DG

This could explain why yours has the chrome side window surrounds that only the series 2 had out here. AGFIK Aussie ones had painted window surrounds ( see blue one above) Series 2 also had a thin strip around the grille opening.
ps I gave my Renault workshop manual to another Aussie frogger for the cost of postage - maybe he's finished with it . I'll pm his name to you
cheers
Dave
I have not looked at this site for a long time, but I am the Queensland owner of a Series 2 with 5 speed manual and just ticked over 450,000 km, virtually untouched. I have accumulated quite a few bits and pieces and we are in de-clutter mode. More details to follow.

I have not looked at this site for a long time, but I am the Queensland owner of a Series 2 with 5 speed manual and just ticked over 450,000 km, virtually untouched. I have accumulated quite a few bits and pieces and we are in de-clutter mode. More details to follow.
I was very interested in buying this car off Tony but someone beat me to it.

BTW: I have some R20 parts of anyone needs em
NOS Headlight, taillight lenses, and other stuff

Hi Tony,
Good choice they are really a great car. Mine did 600,000 k's. Engine, clutch and gearbox were untouched. Used as a farm hack in the end it was finally beaten by rust. Very comfortable seats great long distance cruiser.

Great to hear about another 20TS on the road. I have an early series 1 (1979) which I have owned since 1984. It has done 380,000 and is still going strong and used almost every day of the week. It was a 4 speed but I was able to find a 5 speed box some years ago and changed over. A great improvement but especially on a country drive. I know of only a few 20TS's still around. One is in Queensland and another in Hobart but I am sure there are more around. It would be interesting to know just how many are still going.

Good luck with yours and I hope it goes well for some time.

Cheers

John
Clarendon SA
The 20TS was & is even today one of the great touring cars on the Australian roads. In many was was similar in that regard to the R16TS, but with even more interior space. The Douvrin engine has a great reputation for achieving huge mega kms & also saw the same level of reliability in the Peugeot 505 STi & GTi vehicles.

Renault Australia brought 2 Renault 30 TS vehicles into the country for evaluation; the first was a manual & many months later an automatic. Stunning performance from the Renault V6 engines. The manual shift vehicle was purchased by a Victorian dealer, whilst I cannot recall where the automatic version ended up. Perhaps Canberra?
Cheers,
Kevin.

I believe the Australian R30's (2 off) had carburettors. The French R30 I drove for perhaps 3000 kilometres had mechanical injection.

I understand John Atkins, a past President of the Renault Owners Club of Canberra, had a Renault 30TS but not sure where it is now.

I understand John Atkins, a past President of the Renault Owners Club of Canberra, had a Renault 30TS but not sure where it is now.

I was so close to buying said car in this thread twice. not sure where it ended up.

When I was teaching in Fitzroy (Melbourne) in the late 70's, there was a new R30 in navy blue near the school (Bell street) - got me impressed.

Hi all. FWIW, I do indeed still have the car. It's technically for sale (search gumtree in tas) as my mental health does vary, but I am still working on it very slowly! :)

I could use a pair of new (or good condition) tail light seals in the unlikely event someone has some!

Cheers,
Tony.
0422 960 242

Hi all. FWIW, I do indeed still have the car. It's technically for sale (search gumtree in tas) as my mental health does vary, but I am still working on it very slowly! :)

I could use a pair of new (or good condition) tail light seals in the unlikely event someone has some!

Cheers,
Tony.
0422 960 242

And it may now be sold. Will know for sure on the weekend. T.
Hi BlackC2,
I've seen your 20 TS back on gumtree up here in Launceston. Considering an inspection, and possible rescue purchase. Any chance you could fill me in on any 'showstoppers' that informed your decision to part ways? Was it rust, or is an engine rebuild required?
Many thanks,
Dan