1977 GS 1220 Pallas

Car's going pretty well (apart from synchro on 2nd)
Cal (who used to be a fairly prolific poster here) got a great photo of it at Cars and Coffee Taigum this morning
58vp1q9.png

Absolutely stunning Ken and what amazing work on this gorgeous GS. That final picture is majestic and it will hopefully be a great, usable classic for you. I had a Club wagon which I greatly miss in delta blue that I have given up looking for despite some false leads over the years. The Pallas is really a stunner and seeing one original like yours is a very rare find.

Well, apart from a Pottsy'esqe driveshaft disconnection and associated gearbox rebuild, I've been enjoying it. It gets used for the occasional work commute, and cars and coffee run.

I've since changed the front lights to the more classic single projectors, as I prefer the look
JiVxHCE.jpg

Those lights I found were better. The 4 headlight front is cobbled together and the lenses fall apart (and the plastic breaks). How do you find it in the heat ? (is that your land rover too?).

How did I completely miss this thread. I need to read this restoration forum more often!

Yeah, I think these lights are better - No, its not my landrover, its a local cars and coffee.
I went to another one on Sunday that must have had ~15 or so there
wRUIVoP.jpg

3JZzZpq.jpg

I reckon those cars and coffee events are way better than most car meetings .... as the variety of cars that arrives is amazing.... rather than seeing the same "rare" car a dozen times over.... you might see 50 different types of cars ... but just one of each :)

Lovely. Far too few GS examples left. Hope all goes really well.

Cheers
John
I have at last got my GS after having piked on a new one. Am trying to get to the exhaust manifold - have a leak.
How do I remove the side bumpers - have followed Haynes and removes two screws and nut but will not budge - would be gratful for some guidance
Cheers

John
I have at last got my GS after having piked on a new one. Am trying to get to the exhaust manifold - have a leak.
How do I remove the side bumpers - have followed Haynes and removes two screws and nut but will not budge - would be gratful for some guidance
Cheers
Sorry, I'm a great admirer but have never owned a GS. Hopefully someone who knows more will be able to help. We've had BX, CX and Xantia.

Evan, you’ve removed the bolt from the bumper end, inside the front wheel arch, the bolt from under the front edge of the bumper, and the nut from inside the hole in the inner wheel arch panel / engine bay, I assume you’re saying. Have you actually undone the correct thing inside the engine bay? There are two bolts down there holding the bottom of the outer guard also, you haven’t undone one of them instead?

Evan, you’ve removed the bolt from the bumper end, inside the front wheel arch, the bolt from under the front edge of the bumper, and the nut from inside the hole in the inner wheel arch panel / engine bay, I assume you’re saying. Have you actually undone the correct thing inside the engine bay? There are two bolts down there holding the bottom of the outer guard also, you haven’t undone one of them instead?
Bruce - thanks for getting back to me
I have removed two bolts/screws from under the side bumper and a nut immediately in from the RH front wheel (the bumper slides into a bolt on the bodywork and is secured by the nut)
Is that all that is required?
Cheers

Bruce - thanks for getting back to me
I have removed two bolts/screws from under the side bumper and a nut immediately in from the RH front wheel (the bumper slides into a bolt on the bodywork and is secured by the nut)
Is that all that is required?
Cheers
I forgot about the second one ftom the underside. Look inside the engine bay to see the holes in the box section. The rear elongated one gives access to the bottom bolts for the guard, the forward round one gives awkward access to a nut securing the bumper corner. Pic is left side from below , background light is coming through the hole the bolt on the bumper goes through ( can't get bonnet open on this one atm to take from above and other cars are in the dark). Other pic of bumper corner off.
20240204_064010.jpg
20240204_064010.jpg

Attachments

• 20240204_064550_resized.jpg
    20240204_064550_resized.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 28
Bruce
Thank you again - I did find two nuts on the inner side of the fender and when loosened did not seem to assist loosening the side guard.
Will now revisit on your advice and images
Cheers