1972 504 knock in steering/suspension - what is it?

Pug72

Fellow Frogger
Hi all

I rebuilt the front struts last year which included new inserts, all bushes/rubbers, bolts/nyloc nuts and lower ball joints (being earlier model they are the kit - 2 plastic cups). I also replaced the steering rack end bushes and tie rod ends plus the plastic cup in the rack at the end of the column. The needle roller bearing and seal on top of the strut (under the top pad) was fine - just needed a clean up and some lube.

Since then I have a knock when cornering. There will be a single knock noise coming from the front corner where the load is - so taking a right turn, the knock noise will seem to be coming from the front strut area. If I turn a left hand bend, the knock will appear on the right hand strut.

When driving in a straight line there is no knock. I can fly over speed bumps and there is nothing.

I recently pulled the struts apart again including the ball joints to make sure I didn't stuff something up in the reassembly. But all seemed fine

Are there any other bushes inside the rack that I should be looking at?

I noticed today with the car parked in the garage and when I turn the steering wheel left to right, I can hear the knock, but cannot feel anything through the steering wheel. I'll get under the car tonight with my son turning the steering wheel and try to locate the source of the knock.

One of those frustrating things.

Thanks

Did you replace the steering flector plate?

Did you lace the anti rattle bush that lives in the left side of steering rack , its a white nylon " cylinder " with two rubber rings , held into the rack by a circlip.

Does it happen going turning into drive ways etc? I have a 306 with very similar symptoms. It's had nearly new everything and it's still there. Last candidate is the sway bar bushes... The d shaped ones in the middle. Might be different but might be the same!

Did you tighten the nut that holds the shockers in?, my Dads 505 had a knock over bumps turned out too be a loose nut that holds the shocker in.
Hope this helps