1969 DS21 BVH restoration

Hi from Australia
the 69 D harnesses were particularly bad the plastic insulation used during that period being of very poor quality possibly due to cost cutting.
I hope this help please send some pictures of your 69 restoration
Cheers

I found that the insulation wasn't plastic, but rather a rubber-like coating that just simply dried out. I still suspect that this wire came from some East Bloc country, and yah- it was bad quality stuff. I think the thinking went that the cars were just throw-away appliances at the end of their working life. Nobody ever suspected that tens of thousands of them would make it to today.

Cheers Le Parisian

that helps a lot. I can get a loom over here in UK but around £500 which seems a lot - will give Christian a try.
Someone else told be the insulation around 69 was not good - mine has rotted away badly. Have some rust to sort out , clutch to change, needs new tyres, carpets etc but pretty solid and engine is superb. Also love the old dash on the 69's

will upload some pics

cheers again

Cheers Le Parisian

that helps a lot. I can get a loom over here in UK but around £500 which seems a lot - will give Christian a try.
Someone else told be the insulation around 69 was not good - mine has rotted away badly. Have some rust to sort out , clutch to change, needs new tyres, carpets etc but pretty solid and engine is superb. Also love the old dash on the 69's

will upload some pics

cheers again

Good on you cant wait to see the pictures

I found that the insulation wasn't plastic, but rather a rubber-like coating that just simply dried out. I still suspect that this wire came from some East Bloc country, and yah- it was bad quality stuff. I think the thinking went that the cars were just throw-away appliances at the end of their working life. Nobody ever suspected that tens of thousands of them would make it to today.

Spot on Hotrodelectric you’re absolutely correct definitely feels like a rubber type material, just wondering how many years did Citroen use this crappy wiring.

Spot on Hotrodelectric you’re absolutely correct definitely feels like a rubber type material, just wondering how many years did Citroen use this crappy wiring.

I've seen from as early as the late 1968 models and it persisted to the early 1970 models. The earlier cars used a more normal plastic insulation in different colors (blue, yellow, gray, green), and the later '70 continued using all-black, but again with a more normal plastic insulation.

If you look at a rotted '69 harness, you find the black is what suffers. The yellow and green might be stiff and maybe even cracking because the plasticisers in the insulation has completely dried out, but the damage is nowhere near what has happened to the black.

Even more telling, the rear harnesses almost never have this problem, regardless of the YOM.

Last edited:
IMG_1936.jpg
IMG_1959.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg
Make over completed didn't turn out too badly photo taken with iphone and not paying justice also the car needs a good clean up
will take more picture with descent camera later on
IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1933.jpg
IMG_1932.jpg
IMG_1931.jpg
IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1927.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg
IMG_1957.jpg
IMG_1939.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
Make over completed didn't turn out too badly photo taken with iphone and not paying justice also the car needs a good clean up
will take more picture with descent camera later on

View attachment 50935

You saved the best for last, simply superb congratulations :wink2:

Let me know when you feel this thread can be moved to 'Completed Restorations' :headbang:

Cheers
Chris

You saved the best for last, simply superb congratulations :wink2:

Let me know when you feel this thread can be moved to 'Completed Restorations' :headbang:

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris
Finally and did this is the end of my DS restoration it has been fun and at the same time tiring I wont be doing any more restoration mainly due to health issues thank you for the compliment please move the thread to 'Completed Restorations' when youre ready.
Thank you
Philippe

Last edited:
Great job, you must be pleased!!!!

Alors la! Hein... Chapeau Philippe. Tres bien. Mais par contre, les cendriers, pas d'accord. Le siege de droite va a gauche et vis versa.

Mais vraiment encore......felicitations!

Philippe

Hi matthew
Do you have the part number and description for the item in question the link youve given me doesnt point to any spare parts listing
Cheers
Philippe

Hi Phillipe
part number is DX 541 159

They appear to be updating their website. Perhaps if you email them with the part number they can get back to you.

Hope that helps and congratulations on the DS..

Matthew :)

Hi Phillipe
part number is DX 541 159

They appear to be updating their website. Perhaps if you email them with the part number they can get back to you.

Hope that helps and congratulations on the DS..

Matthew :)

Thank you for the above info and the compliment; Im in touch with Andre and currently organising the part to be sent to Australia
Cheers
Philippe