IMG_1316 - Copy.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1308.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1319.jpg
ctures, Panel gaping completed. last polish now due

Painting and polishing now completed, love the change of color, light dependent turns from blue to grey very nice.
The side strips and mirrors are left to be installed by panel beater the headlights assembly will be done by yours truly and then the interior restoration will begin; I'm thinking about blue or grey carpet which will go well with the black leather seats.
the current wheels will become spares as I have a new set of Michelin XVS and fresh painted rims ready to fit on.
Pleasing results considering this is the first time this Panel beater touches a DS and at a very reasonably price. if you're looking at respraying your car send me as PM I would be happy to pass on his details
Cheers

last ds pics 003.jpg
last ds pics 001.jpg
last ds pics 002.jpg

Nce!!! It looks like you even got the back edges of the bonnet sitting right (something many people really good at adjust 'D' panels can't do). I think that colour is great, good on you for doing it the colour you liked.... especially if it was origanally white or that metalic gold :)

Out of interest, how did you protect all the panel edges from chips and damage :confused: Just masking tape :confused:

Dark colours look the best on D's IMO. the black body rubbers aren't highlighting all the panels gaps and adjustments that are usually far from perfect compared to modern cars.

seeya,
Shane L.

Nce!!! It looks like you even got the back edges of the bonnet sitting right (something many people really good at adjust 'D' panels can't do). I think that colour is great, good on you for doing it the colour you liked.... especially if it was origanally white or that metalic gold :)

Out of interest, how did you protect all the panel edges from chips and damage :confused: Just masking tape :confused:

Dark colours look the best on D's IMO. the black body rubbers aren't highlighting all the panels gaps and adjustments that are usually far from perfect compared to modern cars.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Shane
the alignment in general is good but not 100% perfect but I'm more then satisfied with the results considering the age of the car.
The color is unreal constantly changing from light blue in the sun to dark blue or greyish in the dark.
Panels protection is basically being very careful and yes masking tape used sparingly
Over the years and especially in the early 70s with small budget I always ended up with a white dSpecial thus the reason for not liking light colors although very good for summer.
Dark colors makes the car more noticeable especially at showing all the lovely curves.
I can see a slight variations between identical panels possibly manufactured at different time or even different country and the reason for panels being hard to align.
This car was designed for all panels to detach from the chassis in case of an accident so that the people wouldn't get buried in the car and the spare located at the front to absorb the impact; so panel gaping for Citroen not on top of their priority list
Cheers

Last edited:
Not happy with the Head light buckets; the painting finish is just not good enough so more delays expected now as I will now have to wait for a new set to come from the NL also waiting on new rear blinker lenses.
The pictures makes them look good but the paint beneath as reacted with the new one
Next the CARPET can anyone advise where to get a good set locally???

IMG_1341.jpg
IMG_1342.jpg

Last edited:
What colour is this, Phil? Looks amazing so far. You don't muck about when it comes to restorations.

There is plenty of nylon carpet around for the DS. But after doing some research I found a Mercedes carpet that was actually wool. A simple and cheap upgrade from the original, the colour palette was good as well. Given the black leather I guess there is only one choice.... grey. But as you say, when you put all this effort into a restoration you can choose whatever colour you like.

The panel work and paint looks absolutely first class by the way.

Last edited:
There is plenty of nylon carpet around for the DS. But after doing some research I found a Mercedes carpet that was actually wool. A simple and cheap upgrade from the original, the colour palette was good as well. Given the black leather I guess there is only one choice.... grey. But as you say, when you put all this effort into a restoration you can choose whatever colour you like.

The panel work and paint looks absolutely first class by the way.

Hi and thank you for the carpet information I will follow up on it; cheap is good as long as there is some level of quality. True! grey carpet is best with black leather but I intend to pick a fairly dark grey colour it will go well with the external duco and as previously mentioned I am not one to follow Citroen colour code standards the fact is I don't like any of them. I'm restoring the car to my personnel standards and am sure it will look good when finished. I have been following your restoration thread and your car seems to be identical to mine and looking absolutely fantastic. BTW did you buy this car from Andrew dodd ?

Despite the amount of rain received this week end; I managed to do a little more on the car, the new wheels are now fitted, the stainless steel plates along and below the doors are now fitted, I finally received my new thermostat now fitted and one guard is now reassembled and ready to go back.

DSCN5889.jpg
DSCN5893.jpg
DSCN5896.jpg
DSCN5878.jpg
DSCN5880.jpg
DSCN5881.jpg
DSCN5882.jpg
DSCN5885.jpg
DSCN5886.jpg

Last edited:
DS 21 BVH Resto

Waiting on grey carpet kit from Citro-Classique here is a couple more pictures before the interior get fitted

(the bonnet is not locked thus the r
IMG_1501.jpg
IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1500.jpg
e
IMG_1499.jpg
ason for the gap)

Last edited:
That does look amazing, great to see such a beautiful car rebirthed. Well done!

:)

Hi Lamoor
Yes I guess it does look better in the flesh, Being registered I took it for a drive yesterday and wow she drove beautifully the gear change is just perfect took me a while to fully understand the BVH principals but I'm very happy with my adjustments (Self tuition); the new Michelin tires made a huge difference in handling I also noticed one of the rear spheres was a little hard so a new set of spheres will be next on the agenda will wait for Richo's next batch of spheres with dampers.
Cheers

Last edited: