1960 404 sedan

Agreed, it's a very nice car. In particular, I really like the interior colour scheme.

Sometimes the original is so much better than the updated versions, this is so much more 'French' than the later ones-even though I love all 404,s. Those air vents may even have expelled a rush of air. Almost has that 'Citroen' style to the details.

Yes, original is always more stylish, Series 1 and 2 505 interiors are a great example of that.
Great to see the 404 has kept its original painted headlight rims, chrome ones destroy the front end styling.

Agreed, it's a very nice car. In particular, I really like the interior colour scheme.
Was that an original interior colour scheme? If so, did it come to Australia? I don't think that I have seen one like it.

It is going back quite a few years - I owned my 1965 model 404 from1974 to 1976 or 77, I think - but, if I recall correctly, it had round swivelling air vents on the dash, one at each extremity. Again, I've never before seen that style of air vent.

Is that the jack handle or crank handle under the bonnet? Or was it the one handle for both? I have my Owner's Book somewhere here, but I can't locate it right now.

I will have to have a better look for that book, as well as through photos and slides, to see what I can come up with. I know that plenty of photos were taken, but whether I still have them …

Our family had a 403 Wagon in the same interior colors and a light grey exterior.

The trim was vinyl not cloth.

From memory around 1958, built by C &G.

Last edited:
Was that an original interior colour scheme? If so, did it come to Australia? I don't think that I have seen one like it.

It is going back quite a few years - I owned my 1965 model 404 from1974 to 1976 or 77, I think - but, if I recall correctly, it had round swivelling air vents on the dash, one at each extremity. Again, I've never before seen that style of air vent.

Is that the jack handle or crank handle under the bonnet? Or was it the one handle for both? I have my Owner's Book somewhere here, but I can't locate it right now.

I will have to have a better look for that book, as well as through photos and slides, to see what I can come up with. I know that plenty of photos were taken, but whether I still have them …

Colour scheme didn't come to Australia, we had a much more boring one. Swivel vents replaced these ones in around 1961. Crank handle under the bonnet.

Some years back I had a look at an early '60's 404 possibly an early Aus release. Elderly lady owner had an inflated idea of its value. Plenty of rust. Interior had two toned dash and door trims. It had the early style "flat" hubcaps, I prefer these, am still open on the headlamp trims. Three bearing motor along with the dry element air filter.

Would have been imported with the two tone dash. All Australian 404s had oil bath aircleaners.

Some years back I had a look at an early '60's 404 possibly an early Aus release. Elderly lady owner had an inflated idea of its value. Plenty of rust. Interior had two toned dash and door trims. It had the early style "flat" hubcaps, I prefer these, am still open on the headlamp trims. Three bearing motor along with the dry element air filter.

How do I know if it's a 3 bearing engine?
I did see a 404 last year with the spare tyre compartment inside the booth, thought it was some modification done here, according to the owner the car was registered in 74.

Engine number will tell you. Tyre was in boot for all cars prior to 1967