• aussiefrogs will be closing to new forum posts from January 26th, 2022. This will make it a clean 22 years of service to the Australian French car community. The site will remain static after this date and accessible, but not taking any new content. All email addresses, IPs, private messages (conversations), passwords, will be deleted. Only the main forums will be retained after the transition. There will be a link prominently placed forwarding visitors to another forum elsewhere (not affiliated) that is either currently existing or is to exist, that current members here could be found again. Gerry – aussiefrogs.com
  • Tapatalk and Mobile iOS/ Android APPs no longer supported on aussiefrogs.com. Please delete on your device. Use the web interface instead.

1959 4cv Restoration in North Carolina USA

Sunroof

1000+ Posts
Never thought about that offset!! Live and learn eh. Pity about the rego and what goes behind that..... I drove Bruce's car once and it was really nice with the 330 box.
Currently several club members are putting Dauphine brakes and new front suspension bushes on it for him. So as to be ready for the 50th birthday bash.

JohnW

Too many posts!
Currently several club members are putting Dauphine brakes and new front suspension bushes on it for him. So as to be ready for the 50th birthday bash.
That's just great. He'll be overjoyed, I can imagine. Good people.

Dauphine brakes are just great on a 4CV. Same size as FJ Holden I think!!! I love mine.

Stan W

It's not likely that I would install a 330 gearbox, but my first inclination would be to modify the 4cv crossmember. I am MUCH more likely to install a 314 gearbox from a Dauphine. I have been working on the rusted thin spots on the lower part of the front left wing. There are all sorts of compound curves, so I made my patches in several pieces. I can form small pieces with the hammer and dolly, but not complex compound curves. It works well to make the patches in several pieces, but it takes time. Work on the wing was delayed by a lawnmower problem. The balance assembly, camshaft and governor were all destroyed - not sure which failed first. It is a poor design (briggs and stratton), but amazingly, repairable without spending a lot of $$. I solved the problem by purchasing a similar but older and better mower. I will fix the newer one properly and sell it. Both are swedish riders - articulated mowers.

IMG_2993Copys.JPGIMG_2994Copys.JPGIMG_3012Copys.JPGIMG_3013Copys.JPGIMG_3014Copys.JPGIMG_3008Copys.JPG

JohnW

Too many posts!
I can vouch for the 314 being an improvement! Mine was built with the 7x33 diff ratio to suit my early car. Briggs and Stratton powers our rotary lawn mower (small lawn but a bit of grass is good) and it's some 20+ years old now. Just goes and goes. It's junky in its way I agree. I change the oil every year or two. You'd need more than metallic epoxy for yours by the look of it!
Nice panel work - way beyond my skill set!

jaahn

1000+ Posts
Hi Stan ;)
Nice work !! I wish I had your patience :cry:
Those syncro balance B&S motors had a habit of failing like that after a long life usually. The syncro weight bearings on the crank eccentrics wear and sieze eventually and the slim weight side castings let go. Thus the carnage ! I guess by now there is a repair kit as the rest of the engine is just normally worn. You could put a non syncro balanced engine crank and parts in. 😁
Jaahn

J-man

1000+ Posts
Hi Stan, my 4CV front wings need the same treatment. The metal was so thin on these little cars, it's no wonder it doesn't take much for them to rust away in the right environment.

I had to do a job on my brother's Husqvarna ride-on (I think you call them lawn tractors) when the B&S came to an abrupt halt too. The decompression device on the back of the cam gear comes adrift causing havoc. The parts to fix were as cheap as the quality of the originals! Common problem, it would seem.

Attachments

• Cam Gear parts.jpg
    Cam Gear parts.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 13
  • B&S in pieces.jpg
    B&S in pieces.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 13
  • B&S sump.jpg
    B&S sump.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Sunroof

1000+ Posts
B & S can make good engines. My John Deere ride on (lawn tractor) has a B & S specially made for JD. About 15 years and quite a lot of work no faults and spasmodic servicing on my part. But I had a number of other ride on mowers over the years with B & S that were pretty much junk. Two were replaced under warranty. Not my favourite brand of motor. But have also had two bad Honda's so there you go.