1959 4cv Restoration in North Carolina USA

Geez, this is never ending! Where did you fid this car, again?
The rear wings are making me feel like it is never ending:(. Still, they are better than the ones on my last MGA project. The 4cv was for sale about 25 miles northwest of where I live. It spent most of it's life in Winston Salem - about 20 miles east of where I live. I am tackling the hardest panels first while the motivation is higher. The goal is to have a 4cv that is slightly better than new.

John, my best guess is that there were around 20,000 4cvs sold here, but I have never seen any numbers. It could be as much as twice that much, there were about 200,000 Dauphines sold here. There might be some good rear wings on parts cars, but I have not found any yet. I don't think I have ever seen an unrestored 4cv in the US that did not have banged up rear wings. Most of them are rusted AND banged up AND expensive. The other problem is that some might be available, but only if I buy an entire hoard of parts - most of which I don't want.

The rear wings are making me feel like it is never ending:(. Still, they are better than the ones on my last MGA project. The 4cv was for sale about 25 miles northwest of where I live. It spent most of it's life in Winston Salem - about 20 miles east of where I live. I am tackling the hardest panels first while the motivation is higher. The goal is to have a 4cv that is slightly better than new.

John, my best guess is that there were around 20,000 4cvs sold here, but I have never seen any numbers. It could be as much as twice that much, there were about 200,000 Dauphines sold here. There might be some good rear wings on parts cars, but I have not found any yet. I don't think I have ever seen an unrestored 4cv in the US that did not have banged up rear wings. Most of them are rusted AND banged up AND expensive. The other problem is that some might be available, but only if I buy an entire hoard of parts - most of which I don't want.
Thanks for the numbers and I quite understand the parts/wings situation!! "Northern Hemisphere winter + 1950s car = rust" as a rule. Not that they didn't rust here.

Is that a cold, wintery place? Or are these cars rusty just because they are crap?

Either way, you're a sucker for punishment. If I come across any rust in my car, can I post it over for you to repair? It may be cheaper.

I don't like making rust repairs, I only do it when absolutely required. There is not much salt used on the roads in North Carolina in the winter. The 4cv is made of thin metal to keep the weight down, so any rust is a problem. I purchased this particular 4cv because it had very litte rust. The only other minor rust repairs the 4cv needs are at the bottom of the front wings - there are spots that hold dirt and therefore moisture. These will take a little time, but they aren't too bad. I can't take credit for figuring out how to make the repair part for the wing - I copied it from this book.

book.jpg

I FINALLY finished the right rear wing - at least the first stage. It still needs to be block sanded two or three times. I blocked the left rear wing once and gave it another coat of primer. I think the right front wing is next for metal work - it is a little worse than the left front, but better than either of the rear wings.

Img_2916Copys.jpg

While I have not posted in the last week, I have not been idle. I installed the fittings and re-enforcements for flat towing and started work on the front right wing. The lower front center portion of the wing was rusted very thin, so I installed a doubler behind that area. It will be carefully sealed to prevent a rust trap. This wing had been hit in the front twice, but it was not as hard to straighten as I anticipated - much easier than the right rear wing. The front left wing is better than the right.

IMG_2941Copys.JPGIMG_2942Copys.JPGIMG_2943Copys.JPGIMG_2944Copys.JPGIMG_2946Copys.JPGIMG_2947Copys.JPGIMG_2956Copys.JPGIMG_2959Copys.JPG

While I have not posted in the last week, I have not been idle. I installed the fittings and re-enforcements for flat towing and started work on the front right wing. The lower front center portion of the wing was rusted very thin, so I installed a doubler behind that area. It will be carefully sealed to prevent a rust trap. This wing had been hit in the front twice, but it was not as hard to straighten as I anticipated - much easier than the right rear wing. The front left wing is better than the right.

View attachment 133273View attachment 133274View attachment 133275View attachment 133276View attachment 133277View attachment 133278View attachment 133279View attachment 133280
Nice. Very mild, that steel!

About the only thing I did to the Volvo was refinish the wheels. Yes, the 4cv will be finished to the same standard - my goal is slightly better than new in most respects.

About the only thing I did to the Volvo was refinish the wheels. Yes, the 4cv will be finished to the same standard - my goal is slightly better than new in most respects.
I reckon proper rust protection is the most important improvement needed! Although our cars these days tend to be garaged, unlike the 1960s when they were second cars, student cars, neglected cars, all outside!

The body work continues - but it isn't as interesting or quick as the mechanical work. The front right wing is mostly done - it has been block sanded once and primed twice. The rear wings are at the same point in body work. All will need more coats of primer and additional block sanding. I will do that when the whole car is close to being painted. I think the front left wing needs less work than the others. All weld seams are being sealed.

IMG_2961Copys.JPGIMG_2962Copys.JPGIMG_2967Copys.JPGIMG_2977Copys.JPG

The body work continues - but it isn't as interesting or quick as the mechanical work. The front right wing is mostly done - it has been block sanded once and primed twice. The rear wings are at the same point in body work. All will need more coats of primer and additional block sanding. I will do that when the whole car is close to being painted. I think the front left wing needs less work than the others. All weld seams are being sealed.

View attachment 133494View attachment 133495View attachment 133496View attachment 133497
Nice body work Stan. What brown paint/sealer are you using on the bolt up areas?
I notice your stash of golf balls. Our place gets the same treatment. Golf balls everywhere and the odd window ventilation without opening it!

Nice body work Stan. What brown paint/sealer are you using on the bolt up areas?
I notice your stash of golf balls. Our place gets the same treatment. Golf balls everywhere and the odd window ventilation without opening it!
I use Rustoleum rusty metal primer. I have had good long term results with it in the past. We are too far up the hill to get golf balls through windows, but we get a few in the back yard. I find most of the balls at night using a black light. I hit the cheap ones in the water (or the swamp). I play the good ones and also give a lot of them away to neighbors and golfers.

I use Rustoleum rusty metal primer. I have had good long term results with it in the past. We are too far up the hill to get golf balls through windows, but we get a few in the back yard. I find most of the balls at night using a black light. I hit the cheap ones in the water (or the swamp). I play the good ones and also give a lot of them away to neighbors and golfers.
Yes we have that brand here. Will study!
I used to collect them and sell them on Gumtree, but I got bored with that and just lob them back over onto the course for the local kids to fossick.

Yesterday was a big day! I paid the "path fee" and used my 4cv as a golf cart for the first time. It was the best I have done on nine holes - still bad by most standards, but good for me. Lots of fun! I am moving right along with the left front wing. It has some dents on the top and the rear edge. I have removed most of the red paint and old bondo.

IMG_2978Copys.JPGIMG_2982Copys.JPGIMG_2984Copys.JPGIMG_2985Copys.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2984Copys.JPG
    IMG_2984Copys.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 130
Just doesn't look like a golf buggy to me.o_Oo_O

But great that it can improve your game. :);)