195/50R15 tyres again

schlitzaugen

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I see there's a fair few tyres on the market now in this size (not sure if all available here) so again the question comes up, which one to get? This is for my 205GTI. Last time I checked it was still the RE003. What about now?

The RE003 grips well, not bad in the wet and lasts OK. Only minor complaint is they are a bit noisy. Some rate the Yoko AD08 as better, considering mine are on two quite different vehicles I think they are about the same, with the Yokos a little quieter, but generally more expensive.

This may help re width/rim size"

Tyre width vs rim size.jpeg

Fireblade's data sheet is misleading as it doesn't include section data. Generally, lower sections demand wider rim width ranges (a bead seating issue).A better guide is:

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

As for tyre size comparisons, see:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

So 195/50 will fit the 6" rim & yes, 185/55 will have its sidewall pretensioned a bit more than 195/50 at a given pressure. That said, tyre type is just as big a variable & the RE003 has a taut sidewall. One way of remediating concerns about sloppy response to steering inputs is to use elevated pressures to lower the slip angle of a given tyre.

I can't imagine you being disappointed with the RE003 sunless, as Peter T. warns, you have fouling issues. As observed, nominally identically sized tyres can vary a bit in dimensions & it'd be nice to have feedback from someone who'd fitted the RE003 to a similar vehicle.

I'll have a little look at what's currently available in 185/55 & 195/50 presently but, for now, I'll just say that if the RE003 is chosen, I'd ensure that i purchased at a time when the frequent "4 for the price of 3" deals are available. As the RE003 is recently supplanted by the RE004 overseas, I'd expect the RE003 to feature in such deals.

Cheers! Peter

A quick trawl of BJ & Jax sites yields the following possibilities. They fall into two camps: track day tyres & "performance" road tyres.

First decision is between there two subsets of the short list. Generally, track day tyres are unhappy at low temperatures & especially at low temperatures in the wet (say, under 5°C).

If that is not likely to be an issue then, at higher temperatures, they are, compared to road tyres, generally tauter in response, tolerable in "merely slick" compound-important wet conditions & very good in the dry. Obviously they will be harder over bumps as well.
But, if the possible ARB fouling issue is at the shoulder, fouling might be a greater possibility with these than with most regular road types. So, 195/50 is a dodgier choice than 185/55 with these. There's a short list of two (both available in each candidate size). Each has a good reputation as a tyre a bit more street-orientated than some track-day tyres.

One is the AD08R, an updated version of the AD08 Alan mentions. (There's a quite long "blurb" about the changes on Bob Jane's site.)
The other is Bridgestone's RE71RS, an updated version of the RE71R.

I don't know of a comparison test of the two but surmise that each would suit if taut response & dry performance are your priorities & you live somewhere where you won't be driving in cold conditions.

If your priorities are more suited by a "performance" road tyre, then there's a shortlist of two in 185/55 & two in 195/50.

Michelin's PilotSport 3 is available in each size. The RE003 only in 195/50 & Continental's PremiumContact 2 only in 185/55.

The general view of the PS3 is that it is good in the wet but not as taut a structure & not as good in the dry as enthusiasts for its predecessor, the PS2, had hoped. They complained that it should have been called 'PilotExalto 3'. (The PE range is defunct but was between PS & Primacy.) That slur might not bother you as I think that PE2 tyres were OE on the 205 GTI 1.9.

The RE003 is tauter, better in the dry & similar in the wet. The most significant of these traits is tautness of response. My prediction would be that the RE003 structure in 195/50 would more than compensate for the extra rim width tensioning of sloppier structure of the smaller 185/55 PS3.
In effect here, I'm suggesting to only consider the PS3 if you feel compelled to 185/55. If 195/50 RE003 is able to be fitted, then it's better than the same size PS3 & will not be less taut in response than the 185/55 PS3 (or, if I'm wrong, a few psi would remediate matters).

Finally, a wild card. Conti's PC2 is only available in 185/55 & is notionally a class down ("premium", not "performance") from the PS3 & RE003. And yet, and yet . . .

As some might know, I've long used these on the Djet & the fronts of the RERs. I'd happily fit them to everything. This is primarily because of a nice combination of tautness of response & talkative & responsive limit behaviour (especially welcome in the wet). I haven't used the PS3 & given that the PC2 is an even older type than the PS3 & in a nominally different class, there are no comparison tests. It might however, be a nicer 185/55 choice than the PS3 if a reviewer at the following site who's had both (on a Clio 2) is right.

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Premium-Contact-2.htm

See also:
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Adrenalin-RE003.htm
&:
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-3-PS3.htm

Personally, unless there are clearance problems with it in 195/50, I'd get the RE003. (I've had several sets on Foresters.) And there is a current "4 for the price of 3" deal on. I wonder if a cooperative fitter would allow you to fit one tyre just to check clearance on the understanding that if it doesn't fit, you'll by 4 185/55. My local BJ would but he's a bit of a gem.

If 185/55 is mandated, I'd fit the PC2. It will wear out fast though (as will the RE003, I suggest, contra Alan); the PS3 would be the longest lasting. Then again, most classic cars' tyres date expire before they're worn out.

cheers! Peter

The car has 195 at the moment and there's no fouling issues, so no worries there.

In my opinion, the 205GTI has way too much grip for its structural integrity. These cars are quite flimsy and I have seen a lot of people reporting cracking at the top of the B pillar, something I would like to avoid with mine (I am afraid things have already started to move though). I have only used good tyres on it and I think I am just ruining the rather fragile bodyshell, so I am not entirely against thinner tyres and giving away some grip.

Okay, so the RE003 wins again, but what about a comparison between this and the AD08R and RE71RS? I understand these wold not be as good in the wet. Anything else to consider?

How about the A052?

Also, I have found Eagle F1, Conti Ultracontact 6 as well as Pirelli Cinturato P1 available in this size. Any good? Can't find comparison reviews and definitely not against RE003.

Last edited:
Just fit the factory size of 185. Feels better, not baggy/sloppy. Its what they should have. You wont ever get ad08 hot enough for them to be worth considering. The re003 ride shitty compared to a PS3 fwiw on a 205 as they are (the car) so light. They are great in the dry bur a bit hairy in the wet. I wouldn't imaging you would drive fast In the wet. My vote has been the Michi for years. I had re003 on them once and moved on once they wore out. Go back to a 185.

I am inclined that way, and would consider the Contis mentioned above as well as the Michelins. It will probably come down to whatever the dealers around here have in stock and how old their stocks are.

Just get them to order a fresh set. They will likely not have that size but they will get them delivered in days.

195 x 50 RE003 for me.
Black and round with reasonable dry grip.
Wear well and magnificent in the wet.
Will keep the rust off the gearbox end cover if driven hard on full left lock.
I have noticed a bit of noise, when you drop the clutch in 1st from about 4k rpm! :)

UC6 & P1 both inferior to earlier listed options in the wet. Eagle F1 AS3 good across board but is it available (??) - directional sloppier & less good in wet. Which did you find?
As mentioned, floppiness is a function of sidewall height & curvature, construction (especially flippers & fillers in the bead area) & pressure. If someone fitted the same type of tyres in 195/50 & ran the same pressures as 185/55 then, yes, they'll be sloppier in response but increased pressure is the answer, especially with an inherently tauter 195/50 like the RE003 compared to PS3 & PC2..

The A052 is even more cold weather sensitive in its compounding than the earlier-mentioned pair &, given what you've said, I can't see that you'd be wanting any "track-day" tyre's increased warm weather dry grip & vertical bump harshness.

In truth, you'd probably be happy with any of RE003, PS3 or PC2 in either size. None is poor anywhere (except wear) & relative advantages & disadvantages are sufficiently owner remediable by pressure changes (including front-rear pressure balance shifts).

Buy any of them & play. A major advantage of the RE003 remains price. (One can buy a half-way decent bottle of red for the saved price of one tyre!)

cheers! Peter

Well, the chips are down and the PC2 won. Available off the shelf and the cheapest, even with the 4 for the price of three of the RE003 simply because I bought five and they gave me 50 bucks back. I like my spare to be ready to roll (ha!). Even though the last one has never seen tarmac. Yeap, I have thrown away a never used 300$ tyre.

First impressions? Well, a lot easier to turn the wheel at slow speeds, which I guess says something about grip, but then again I have no idea what the pressures are right now because I can't find the damn gauge. Stupid things, I think I have lost a million of them. That's what happens when you have two cars.

Yeah, I know, I know. In my defense, I didn't have time to play with them at all. I will get back when I had some time to drive the car a bit more.

Last edited:
I can't imagine you being disappointed with the PC2. If all 5 wheels are the same type then 5 wheel rotations are possible.

Yeah, I thought of that as well, but can't promise anything.

Checked the pressures, 2.1 bar all around so .1 bar lower than I had in the old set. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but noticeably easier to turn the wheel (no power steering, by the way).

Last edited: