1925 Citroen 5CV

At long last Windows now provides a shell for task automation. It isn't ideal, but it works. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/po...alling-windows-powershell?view=powershell-7.2

The internet has a number of PowerShell scripts to reduce jpg image quality for a smaller file size available for copying.

If you set up a suitable menu to call it, this job can then be a button press. It isn't only for AF as email needs file size reduction too. Once done, this is a quicker than using an image viewer built-in function.

Success, who said that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.

Attachments

• 20220530_114748.jpg
    20220530_114748.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 97
Thank you seasink for the reply, i had figured it out before i read your reply, will try that next time.

Hi Guys, I've been trying to keep the 5VC as original as possible.
One thing I found very hard to get used to was the accelerator in between the clutch and brake pedal.
My father altered the little 5CV Ute to the normal pedal pattern. I also saw a U-tube video of a 5CV with the accelerator on the right, so I decided to have look and see how hard it would be to do it.

Turns out, it is very easy to do. The accelerator moves on a sleeve built on the brake pedal and is locked in between the clutch and brake pedal.

It was a simple mater of turning the brake pedal around, reversing the pedal pad, bending the pedal shaft, and fitting the accelerator on the end. Obviously if would fall off the shaft as the is nothing to lock it on.
After bending the accelerator into the right position, I spot welded a steel washer on the end of the reversed brake shaft. Put it all back on and now it is very easy to drive. I also made a new alloy plate rather than damage the original plate.

01 June 2022 - 5CV 01.jpg
:love:

My Bean had a central accelerator too. It didn't bother me too much, however the pedals in it weren't in a straight line like yours are.

20220601_173738.jpg

Looks like you've done OK. I drive 3 vintage cars with the accelerator in the middle so I am used to the set up as long a I wear shoes that are not too wide.

Today the wife and I drove the little Citroen 27km to the Sandgate Beach area, for lunch. Fish and Chips which was beautiful!
I have enclosed two photo's taken at Sandgate. One of them just shows how ting that car is, in between a Hyundai and Mitsubishi, that are not monsters by any means.
03 June 2022 - 5CV 02.jpg
03 June 2022 - 5CV 01.jpg

Today the wife and I drove the little Citroen 27km to the Sandgate Beach area, for lunch. Fish and Chips which was beautiful!
I have enclosed two photo's taken at Sandgate. One of them just shows how ting that car is, in between a Hyundai and Mitsubishi, that are not monsters by any means.View attachment 205263View attachment 205264
That little car is like a breath of fresh air in a sea of anonymity in that first photo.
The last time I took my wife for lunch in the 1926 Rover the tailshaft broke in half at 75kph. She wouldn't get in it after that.💩🤷‍♂️
Glad you had a good maiden voyage.

That little car is like a breath of fresh air in a sea of anonymity in that first photo.
The last time I took my wife for lunch in the 1926 Rover the tailshaft broke in half at 75kph. She wouldn't get in it after that.💩🤷‍♂️
Glad you had a good maiden voyage.
Wife felt a lot vulnerable perched up in the seat, and was happy IF I did not drive it flat out. (At 60kph it shakes allover) 50kph appears to me a good cruising speed for it.

Wife felt a lot vulnerable perched up in the seat, and was happy IF I did not drive it flat out. (At 60kph it shakes allover) 50kph appears to me a good cruising speed for it.
My Rover had a bad shake/vibrational around 60kph too. I just figured it's an old car so that's expected.
When the tailshaft broke I then realised it wasn't the original one. It had been cut in half right in the middle and buttwelded together, linished smooth and painted. Of course it snapped where they had joined it.
I made a new one from a 2 1/2" aluminium extrusion into which I pressed into the ends off an old Reliant tailshaft. Smooth as a gravy sandwich with the new tailshaft. The 1924 Bean was very smooth at speed as well.
Not sure if the little Citroen has Hardy Spicer unis or not? If it does and it has a sliding spline I'd be checking to make sure the two unis are phased correctly.

My Rover had a bad shake/vibrational around 60kph too. I just figured it's an old car so that's expected.
When the tailshaft broke I then realised it wasn't the original one. It had been cut in half right in the middle and buttwelded together, linished smooth and painted. Of course it snapped where they had joined it.
I made a new one from a 2 1/2" aluminium extrusion into which I pressed into the ends off an old Reliant tailshaft. Smooth as a gravy sandwich with the new tailshaft. The 1924 Bean was very smooth at speed as well.
Not sure if the little Citroen has Hardy Spicer unis or not? If it does and it has a sliding spline I'd be checking to make sure the two unis are phased correctly.
The tail shaft is similar in design to the model T, early fords both US and UK. It has a flexible uni joint at the back of the gearbox. A round rubber disc with three holes for the drum and three holes for the shaft. Most of the shaking comes from the steel wheels, gearbox and engine which is bolted direct to the chassis. Simplicity at its best. In 1925, most roads would have been primitive and this car is good OFF ROAD :LOL:
(y)

It has a flexible uni joint at the back of the gearbox. A round rubber disc with three holes for the drum and three holes for the shaft.
Oh OK, a lot of late model Euro stuff still use similar rubber driveshaft couplings too. Lada Nivas had them as well come to think of it.🤔

I wonder if the other 5CV owners on here have similar vibes?

This is all wonderful Ron. I once lived in Albany Creek and I'm picturing the route you would have taken through Bald Hills and across the freeway and across towards Sandgate.
60kph is also a bit quick for my B2 and yes .......... at that speed it tends to vibrate a bit.
I am organizing the Landrover and caravan for a bit of a holiday to SA. I'm working it around a pick-up of Citroen B2 parts that a fellow is getting rid of as he's getting to the age where he'll never get to see it all complete to make up a car.
Not that I need this stuff but who knows ........................ it might come to something.

Last Sunday, the wife and I attended a morning tea in Dayboro, 35km away from Home, on a back road. My first and last trip in the 5CV outside of Brisbane. The road had a few hills and two of them had the Citroen crawling up in fist gear. Every now and again I had to pull over and let the long line of traffic pass. Even 60kph on a 100kph stretch collected a long line of impatient drivers.

Quite a lot of them, when they realized what the hold up was, tooted their horn, waved and gave us the thumbs up. When we eventually got to Dayboro, the Sunday markets were on, so the Citroen became a photographed exhibit. I was dreading the return journey. We took the main highway, same story hills, first gear, lots of traffic and very stressful.

I have decided that I will drive it in the north Brisbane area, if the roads are double lane. Outside of my area, it goes on the tilt car trailer.

I take my hat off to the two boys who drove a 5CV around AU in 1925, Jim Rediex who did the same in 1975 and then in 2010, Tom and Lois Newsome, did the same trip. Only this time they had a bad accident just out of Sydney. Good news was the Sydney Citroen car club rebuilt the car and when the Newsomes were able to travel, they completed the trip.

These people are for more adventurous than me, but I guess they were a lot younger than me :rolleyes:

Last Sunday, the wife and I attended a morning tea in Dayboro, 35km away from Home, on a back road. My first and last trip in the 5CV outside of Brisbane. The road had a few hills and two of them had the Citroen crawling up in fist gear. Every now and again I had to pull over and let the long line of traffic pass. Even 60kph on a 100kph stretch collected a long line of impatient drivers.

Quite a lot of them, when they realized what the hold up was, tooted their horn, waved and gave us the thumbs up. When we eventually got to Dayboro, the Sunday markets were on, so the Citroen became a photographed exhibit. I was dreading the return journey. We took the main highway, same story hills, first gear, lots of traffic and very stressful.

I have decided that I will drive it in the north Brisbane area, if the roads are double lane. Outside of my area, it goes on the tilt car trailer.

I take my hat off to the two boys who drove a 5CV around AU in 1925, Jim Rediex who did the same in 1975 and then in 2010, Tom and Lois Newsome, did the same trip. Only this time they had a bad accident just out of Sydney. Good news was the Sydney Citroen car club rebuilt the car and when the Newsomes were able to travel, they completed the trip.

These people are for more adventurous than me, but I guess they were a lot younger than me :rolleyes:
My 9hp Rover was the same (a mobile roadblock) so I added a small Roots supercharger.
Makes a world of difference (not so much to top speed but rather to hillclimbing ability) and it was neither overly difficult or overly expensive to do.🤔
Easy to put back to original as well.
I have a shelf full of superchargers in my shed.😉

Attachments

• 20170824_112830.jpg
    20170824_112830.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
This just popped up on Brisbane Marketplace and for some reason I thought of you.🤔🤔🤔

Resized_20220701_004548.jpeg
Resized_20220701_004621.jpeg