18 Turbo mods

Renault17

Fellow Frogger
Hi there,

I own an 1981 R18 turbo. I have already added a large diameter exhaust, removed the restrictive intercooler thermostat, added a blowoff valve, added an intercooler water spray. The car is a bit rough and is being modified for use as a club racing car. Any thoughts on what to do next, a larger intercooler is on the list, as is a different carb -which one to use?(apparently a Lancia Delta turbo carb makes a huge difference- no doubt to the pocket too!!!) and at a MUCH later stage perhaps a roller bearing turbo. The (eventual) goal is about 160kw- around 200hp....reliably???

Does anyone know how the 1983(I think?)model makes another 15hp? Mine std is 110 and the 83 model got 125hp and rear discs whereas mine only had drums on the rear.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers Ben

Sorry Ben but you are talking about a model we over here in the "lucky" country never got, but it does sound like a great doner vehicle for a 17, if you tell me you have them lying around wreckers yards and rear discs going rusty I'm afraid I'm going to have to come over and kill you.
David.

Hi David,

sorry to burst your bubble but yeah, there are quite a few 18 turbos, fuego turbos running around over here. In fact I know of one that had a bent chassis but changed hands - from a wrecker- for about $150......

Just to make you sick my brother was offered a R12TS and an 18 turbo for $500 not long ago.

Ben

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by David Cavanagh:
Sorry Ben but you are talking about a model we over here in the "lucky" country never got, but it does sound like a great doner vehicle for a 17, if you tell me you have them lying around wreckers yards and rear discs going rusty I'm afraid I'm going to have to come over and kill you.
David.