165x400 BM Citroen 11bl wheel rims

These things must be worth more than Gold. Any one who has them is definitely not letting them go. I am willing to swap a set of five of the British 165 x 400 easy clean 14 hole rims for a set of French 11BL Michelin BM 165 x400 rims. These rims are also rare as hens teeth.

Wanted! a good set of 5 rims for a Citroen 11BL 1951.

Michael has these wheels that he might swap. We're not sure but we think these are french.

john

Attachments

• french wheels-1.jpg
    french wheels-1.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 95
  • french wheels-2.jpg
    french wheels-2.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 102
  • french wheels-3.jpg
    french wheels-3.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 98
  • french wheels-4.jpg
    french wheels-4.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 99
  • french wheels-5.jpg
    french wheels-5.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 100
  • french wheels-6.jpg
    french wheels-6.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 97
  • french wheels-7.jpg
    french wheels-7.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 99
The governing factor would be the level of rust inside the rim where the tyre bead and tube sits. I thank Michael for his offer.

I've sent the photos of the 11BL ? wheel rims to John to post on this sight. They all look the same to me, even comparing them to the rims on my Light 15. What are the differances between Lt 15 and 11BL.
4 of these rims came off an 11BL wreck that I purchased from Gaston Saint, West of Bendigo. Having been sitting outside for many years, the condition could be poor when seen after removing the tyres.
Anyway, see how we go with the photos.
Michael

Slough rims do not have the closed centres with the hub cap retaining strap. Some of them are solid and some are perforated by the 14 holes similar to the rims on a Ford Prefect but of course more attractive. The Slough rims also have clip on hub caps not bolt on. Wheel nuts are either 16mm or 19mm Domed Brass with conical flares at the base to enable centering. Paris wheel nuts are the same as late D and GS.
The Slough wheels that I have are bare rims. There is no rust in the wheel well base. One of the rims needs re-rolling but that is a straightforward job, and the other four are very straight.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1542.JPG
    IMG_1542.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Looking at John's Big 15 that is here with the engine out, I see that it is fitted with Slough wheels. they don't have the holes going around.
The Light 15, purchased from Peter Boyle has the French rims fitted and I now realize that all the rims I have, are French design.
I'd need to remove the tyres to confirm the condition of these spare rims.
Michael

Up until 1949 the post war cars exported to Australia came with the french BM wheel. These were often cut and welded to 16 inch rims as metric tyres were almost impossible to obtain in the immediate post war period. The 14 hole wheels were fitted during the latter period of 1949 and into 1950. From 1951 the wheels were as fitted to John's Big 15 and towards the end of production those solid rims had four slots between the centre disc and the riveted on rim.
Yes I would appreciate you looking at the rims without the tyres so that I can be certain that the rims are actually better than the ones I already have on the car. I had my BM rims soda blasted and had to do a lot of filling of quite deep pits of rust. I currently have my best two rims on the front and my worst rim makes up the spare on the boot lid.

Keep searching Gerry. The rims, I have here are badly pitted and the white ones belong with the Traction that came from Peter Boyle.
I'm keen to use two if I can, to put a couple of good tyres on as I'm running a couple of retreads on the back of the Traction at the moment. I'll run some duct tape around and see if if it smoothes things out.
To replace 16'' rims on the Traction, I sold, I had to travel up to Port Macquarie to source original rims.
I hope somebody "out there" can help you
Michael

Thanks Michael, I understand just how hard it is to obtain quality rims for 11BLs. The Slough rims must have had better paint on them. They appear to last much longer without rusting. If worst comes to worst I will fit my 14 hole rims. It will make it look more like the Belgian version of an 11BL.