16"x7.5" wheels on an MI16

Cal

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have seen a little discussion in the past from people putting 16" or 17" wheels on their MI16's. I want to put 16"x7.5" wheels with 205/45/16 tyres on my car and lower it a little. I don't want to modify the inner guards at all. Can anybody tell me exactly how low I can take it before tyres start to scrub on the guards? Does anybody know what height difference is achieved at the rear by moving the torsion bar one notch?

with 16's u can go pretty low, but bear in mind that too low and ull loose some/part/lots of the handling and charactestics of the car....
were u getting the wheels from, it took my mate a while to find correct fittin wheels (he used adaptors, like me but i got 17's)... think about rubber too, go for the best u can afford, i like the Falken Azenis or A series Yokohamas. With the torsion bar rear make sure it is done by a pro as they are very easy to get wrong and ull have apig that eats tyres if its stuffed up, the front is a basic mCpherson strut set up, see if u can get in contact with Andreas (fromely of Max-pugs fame) he has one of the sweetest 405 in the country..

xqisid:
see if u can get in contact with Andreas (fromely of Max-pugs fame) he has one of the sweetest 405 in the country..
blush
do i really?
hope my next phase of mods dont put you off too much then.

sorry for not doing it yet Cal, have a lame excuse though, got a cousin here from europe and i havent been home much.

Andreas

Cal,
On the torsion bar front, the bars have a different number of splines on each end and so allow the height to be set in approx. 10mm increments. It is not an overly difficult job, but a slide hammer to move the bars in and out will help
Alan.

Thanks for the advice Alan. I will keep it in mind when I am doing the job. How is that 2002 of yours coming along? I drove past your place last weekend (my mate bought a house in the next street) and there was a blue 306 in the driveway. Is this yours?

Cheers,

Cal.