Citroen CX engine mount replacement

skp

Fellow Frogger
Remind me..... How do you fit the RHS (engine) mount?
I managed to get the remains of the old mount out, but don't have enough space to fit the new mount....
Do I need to remove the driveshaft to allow the engine to be raised enough to get the mount into place??
I've done this years ago.... but don't recall things being this difficult.
SKP

yeah, you will need to remove the drivers side driveshaft from memory. Just sliding it back out of the carrier bearing housing maybe enough. i can't quite remember.

Yes remove the shaft altogether and while you are at it service the shaft; fresh grease check rubber gaiters and renew if necessary etc.

Bugga... what a design!! It's been 30 years since I last did a set of CX mounts... It's all starting to come back to me....
The Horror! The Horror! Oh Well.

Thanks. SKP

Bugga... what a design!! It's been 30 years since I last did a set of CX mounts... It's all starting to come back to me....
The Horror! The Horror! Oh Well.

Thanks. SKP
:ROFLMAO: its not to bad... just unscrew the carrier bearing(fun laying under the car on stands) .... unbolt the lower ball joint and pop one of the rollbar droplinks and the driveshaft will come out. don't forget to loosen the driveshaft nut before you start dismantling .... unless you own a dirty big rattlegun and 35or42mm socket.

On the subject of engine mounts, I came across this company which manufactures all the different mounts for a CX. I was particularly interested in the insert that they produce for the gearbox mount (elephants ear). Remanufactured units can be hard to come by, so I ordered one of those and also the insert for the top stabiliser to see what they are like.

Obviously there is a war going on in that part of the world at the moment, so I was a little apprehensive. But, when I emailed them they assured me that they were in full production, and had reliable international shipping options available. It took about two weeks to get the order ready (I assume they make to order?), and so far the tracking says it’s cleared customs in Kiev. Time will tell.

I will be intersted to see how the vibration is when these are fitted. The bottom one especially should last longer as oil should not effect it :)

I will be intersted to see how the vibration is when these are fitted. The bottom one especially should last longer as oil should not effect it :)

Yes, that’s what I was wondering too. I have been in contact with one guy in Ukraine who is running all these mounts in his Turbo 2 and he has done around 3000km and is happy with them. It will be a while before I’m at the point of fitting them, but I will keep the group posted.
Although my lower mountbwill need replacing too (on both cars, eventually), I wasn’t prepared to take that much of a financial gamble and order one of those as well until I’d seen the others. Of course, sending my old mounts to them for rebuilding would probably be the cheapest option, I figured there’d be increased risk in losing the lot?!

Oh ... I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Its the ukraine. are the still operating .... or has the war wiped out his factory?

The engine mounts that I ordered from the Ukraine, as discussed above, have finally arrived (they were ordered back in August, and to be honest I wasn’t too hopeful of ever seeing them!). The one on the right is an insert that they have manufactured for the “elephants ear” gearbox mount. This is an alternative to having to send your own mount away, usually overseas, to get rebuilt. The two on the left are for the upper “pork chop”. It will be a while before Im actually ready to install them, but I’ll keep you posted.
received_1414732489265714.jpeg

I also managed to order these three mount bushes and they arrived yesterday. The quality of manufacture looks very good.

I fitted the large 'pork-chop' bush last night which was pretty easy on the press. I didn't replace the small end bush as the original is still perfect. I'll do the gearbox mount bush tonight and then test drive!

I didn't order the lower engine mount as I have what seems to be an unused remanufactured rubber one which came with the car. Is there really no alternative method than removing the driveshaft?

I haven’t fitted mine yet, primarily because the T2 project has stalled with the guy who‘s doing the panel work. I’m interested to hear your opinion of them once you've driven with them? How long did your order take? I’m wondering whether to order a lower mount while I’m waiting, although I don’t think there’s a lot of difference in price between theirs and the ones on offer from CX Basis?

I remember taking a CX 25 GTI for a test drive back in the day and Jim Reddiex had fitted a rally dogbone with solid rubbers as the top engine tether. At idle, the vibration transmission into the cabin was very noticeable - the steering column was vibrating quite a lot and this happened every time you had to wait for a red light to change. It might have been OK in a rally car where it is go all the time and time to switch off when stopped. After my feedback, Jim told his mechanic to fit a standard dogbone to replace the rally one. I hope these don't end up feeling like that. I think the dogbones need a bit of free play in the backwards and forwards direction to accommodate the vibration at idle even if it makes them fail eventually.

Luckily with the BX and later 4 cylinder east west models, Citroen switched to the top engine mount system with the oil filled rubber block between the chassis and the engine mount point. That proved remarkably good at tameing the idle vibration and they had solid rubber buffers each side to limit the movement forwards and backwards under acceleration. It's just a pity that you have to replace the top engine mount about every 100kkm when the rubber hardens and cracks and all the oil leaks out and the engine drops down and the steering column starts to vibrate more at idle.

Well I suppose that's progress.

Cheers, Ken

While unfamiliar with the CX mounts I recall a local who experimented with urethane engine mounts in DS era. Various grades of stiffness are possible. Exactly as Ken described above, too firm and vibration is transmitted, too soft and they fail to support with any give left when working hard. The DS mounts also have to deal with braking loads, so it was a delicate choice. I organised some poly bushes ( from the UK ) for the first nose C5 lower wishbone ( there is only one as it is a strut design ) ... had them replaced with the more directional rubber bushes soon after.

There is a cut down two layer rubber dog bone bush in mine ..... No-one has managed to identify it yet. apparently from a bedford truck maybe ?

NVH isn't bad with this mount (to be honest, its always been very poor in a Citroen CX).

I fitted the gearbox mount insert - the original rubber one is cast in place in the elephant ear bracket, so has to be cut out and the remnants scraped away, then the new bush pressed in.

I took the car on a 900k round trip Adelaide to Rainbow, VIC and I couldn't fault the PU mounts - the engine isn't super smooth at idle anyhow, but I don't notice any difference in vibration inside the car. Everything seems more solid during take-off and gearchange, so I'm happy - next I'll need to address the lower mount, which looks (to the extent I can see it) to have sagged a bit, and is certainly oily...

The car had been fitted with the earlier dog bone top mount which didn't have any noticeable play, and I expect because they seem to have less rubber than the pork chop style, that there would be more engine vibration into the car, so I can't really confirm that the large-end PU mount is comparable to the original pork chop rubber one.

The one I replaced from the donor car was broken right through (handy because I didn't have a suitable sized pusher, so after pushing the centre part out, I could use the new bush to push the old bush out as I pressed it in - seamless operation!)

BTW, I ordered the mounts from Ukraine on 10 January, so I think the delivery was pretty quick all things considered