CX Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Toeout1949

Tadpole
Hi All,

I am aware that the Prestige has a hydraulic clutch, but are there any other methods of converting to a hydraulic clutch by not not using the Prestige parts? I was thinking of a master cylinder operated by the existing cable?
Anyone aware of a system? I have TRD Turbo 2 and my knee is feeling the load!

Cheers

Toeout

any system should work if you can mount the masters and slaves. These days it maybe better to use a hydraulic throwout bearing. The prestige system is "smart" in a Citroen way. The master just acts againsts valves in the slave that the cars hydraulics power. You can depress the clutch pedal with one finger and it only travels a couple of inches. Without the engine running it is extremely heavy.

any system should work if you can mount the masters and slaves. These days it maybe better to use a hydraulic throwout bearing. The prestige system is "smart" in a Citroen way. The master just acts againsts valves in the slave that the cars hydraulics power. You can depress the clutch pedal with one finger and it only travels a couple of inches. Without the engine running it is extremely heavy.
Hi,
Yes the original Citroen system is preferred but seems pretty unobtainable and the conversion to a standard car comprehensive with regard to fitting a master cylinder, hoping for a bolt on kit using existing cable but maybe will have to design a unit!
Cheers

Hot rod guys have been doing this kinda conversion for many years
Check out the web one of 100's kits available Hot Rod

Hi,

Many thanks, I have looked at what is offered by the Hot Rod fraternity and as yet nothing available to convert the cable to operate a master cylinder, all advocate installing a directly operated master cylinder by the pedal something I would like to avoid.
It would need a concentric master cylinder with the cable through the center attached to a bracket and then to the slave.

Cheers

Hi I thought I'd add to this old thread as I am currently looking at a similar conversion.

I've been running a hydraulic clutch in my DS21 5 speed for many years and it is far better than the old cable set up, and retains LHM use throughout. This uses a 5/8 'universal' master cylinder with remote reservoir (which could have been plumbed into the main reservoir I guess) for which mineral seals are readily available. This is mounted inside the car. The slave is a standard Citroen DS BVH one.

The advantage is that you can vary the master/slave diameter and stroke to get the pedal force you want (obviously depending on what cylinders are available..)

The cable set up on the CX is very different, however provision is already made for bolting a master cylinder on the engine side of the firewall and a pivot hole on the pedal gear is ready to go.. so it is just the slave cylinder and crank arm to sort out. There are plenty of likely candidates with similar bolt pattern to suit the CX bell housing, although I think these are not going to have mineral seals available. The BVH cylinder uses a simple o ring rather than cup seals, so probably any cylinder could be machined to take a mineral tolerant o-ring. Alternatively a slave could be machined from scratch, they are not complicated.

I have no experience with concentric slaves, but I'd prefer to have it on the outside anyhow.

I have also read the thread re using a Prestige powered-slave arrangement, and that would be the best option, but seems that is not a very possible acquisition...

Anyone else had any ideas on this conversion?

I've done this conversion on my CX. I 'T'd into the rear suspension source for the hydraulic clutch ... which was the wrong thing to do. You see if I sit on a hill iwth the brakes on for any length of time, the back can drop .... so you release the brakes ... the rear drops .... the suspension grabs the available pressure from priority valve ... starving your clutch when you try to let it out (ie: it suddenly goes super heavy). It happens only once every blue moon .... but I'm saying, 'T" into the hydraulics on a different port of the priority valve that has higher priority than the rear suspension.

The factory setup is magic, finding the masters is no problem, however the slaves are an option available on CX prestiges. So you need to find someone in the world that is wrecking a prestige (they were also used on Maserti Meraks .... maybe an alternative ?). The magic all happens in the slave.

heres some piccies..... wow ... 12 years ago :eek:

Quick search on Merak slave cylinders and the awesome suggestion that they were used on Massey Ferguson Tractors - awesome! (but not true..)