Early ID Hubcaps

bleudanube

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Swapped out the rims on the weekend at Michael’s place for the Safari - to ensure I have a set of the 2 hole rims that are correct for 1964.

I now need a set of hubcaps. The correct ones I am after are 190mm diameter with the button in the centre, as per the photos.

9FF83363-8C48-4B04-B05F-3E50864E68DB.jpeg
DEE9E377-62B0-4AF0-8F04-C5F3BDFEF16E.jpeg
D277B732-4E90-439E-86D3-3709ACD0E4CD.jpeg

A quick hunt around the usual websites and eBay sites in Europe offered ID hubcaps, but larger, flatter 212mm ones that don’t sit as well inside the rim as the 190mm ones do...

this is what I am after:

3ACDA00D-E048-4B36-B4A2-CC9691CA63CB.png

Has anyone ever seen those smaller diameter ones for sale? Or bought some?

Appreciate any leads. Sven

They look the same style as the GS club hub caps. I found these fly off when you hit a pothole one the highway. I saw two silver flashes go past me on the left on a trip back to Brisbane from Charleville back in 1977. So I stopped, checked the wheels (no hubcaps) and very luckily found them undamaged back down on the verge of the road.

Cheers Ken

Big DS wheel envelopers ( the parts book terminology of the time ) jump off too. There was a trend in the 70s to attach them with a central bolt GS Pallas style.
While I can appreciate the quest for authenticity the aluminium hub caps are very fragile. They are, as Ken states, very easily damaged get scuffed by road gravel and in reality look daggy. They distort and become elliptical. IIRC at some point the centre rivetted cap with the spring steel band holder was a later development. The Heidelberg IDs had the 400mm Michelin wheels with three integral"pegs" that the alloy caps clipped over .. not the central big rivet style.
Congratulations on the work done so far. You can see why the big Ds got such a bad reputation for rusting and hiding it especially in Europe, the UK and North America where the authorities salt the roads.

Big DS wheel envelopers ( the parts book terminology of the time ) jump off too. There was a trend in the 70s to attach them with a central bolt GS Pallas style.
While I can appreciate the quest for authenticity the aluminium hub caps are very fragile. They are, as Ken states, very easily damaged get scuffed by road gravel and in reality look daggy. They distort and become elliptical. IIRC at some point the centre rivetted cap with the spring steel band holder was a later development. The Heidelberg IDs had the 400mm Michelin wheels with three integral"pegs" that the alloy caps clipped over .. not the central big rivet style.
Congratulations on the work done so far. You can see why the big Ds got such a bad reputation for rusting and hiding it especially in Europe, the UK and North America where the authorities salt the roads.

Those ones look like the metal versions. There must have been countless versions of those hubcaps. I must have at least 4 variations here (all rusted, bent or not much good). The chrome ones iwthout the springs as shown (they need risers on the wheel to attach to from memory) ... peel and rust, the aluminium ones bent like playdo ... the metal ones with the springs fall off. You can watch them on the ID19 here moving up and down as the wheel spins.

I prefer the no hubcap look on these early single bolt wheels :)

seeya,
Shane L.

I agree that the aluminium hubcaps do distort and they can dent when putting them back on but I only find this with the "knock on" hubcaps that fit over the 3 lugs.
The hubcaps that Sven is after are the same style as the stainless ones but fit nicer and ofcourse have the spring mechanism that fit into the 2 holes.
They look "just right" especially on a Safari with the exposed rear wheels.
The French ID that I sold to Clyde in Hamilton has the plastic indicators and looks great with the small aluminium "knock on" hubcaps.
Michael

Thanks for the leboncoin link. Will see what I can rustle up with my poor French.

here a photo of the larger 212mm hubcaps. They are flatter and sit on top of the rim inner. The smaller 190mm ones sit inside.
6B914675-1EEB-4D99-8EF9-603D49C1A48E.png

Those larger ones seem to be available. They are sold as ID hubcaps but don’t really fit... what model were they for?

Thanks for the leboncoin link. Will see what I can rustle up with my poor French.

here a photo of the larger 212mm hubcaps. They are flatter and sit on top of the rim inner. The smaller 190mm ones sit inside.
View attachment 120847

Those larger ones seem to be available. They are sold as ID hubcaps but don’t really fit... what model were they for?

Those are the blue ID19 here. I'd call them wobblies. You can see them wobbling up and down as the wheel turns. You need the right wheels for these as you need the holes the hubcap snaps into.

The blue ID here? What do you mean?

what rims are they right ones for those “Wobblies”? What years? Don’t think I ever seen them anywhere... Reynolds?

Hi Sven,

The excellent NuancierDS site has a couple of pages on hubcaps, one for DS and one for ID.

Nuancier DS Enjoliveurs page (hubcaps)

My 64ID has mostly 2 hole wheels, my 62 ID should have the 3 peg wheels but it didn't come with the original wheels. It has wheels with Nissan (? I thinkI was told) rim relpacements to take wider more available tyres. I have replaced them with 2 hole ones as they are readily available but at some point want to revert to 3 peg wheels and the push on "crappy and malleable" hubcaps.

regards Leconte

Got a set of 212mm aluminium ones coming from France. Mail seems to be incredibly slow - it’s been a few weeks now. They should fit the 2-hole rims I got now.

Well , the corona mail From France has finally arrived. The four hubcaps look ok, a few small dents and scratches that can be repaired and polished out. One less missing item to find :)

C6540674-2362-4FA4-B2EC-58B7DD2BB9A2.jpeg
0BB72A10-748D-4543-9F1C-A409BDBCA897.jpeg