13" tyres

4cvgordini

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Many RER enthusiasts favour 13" wheels. I don't but that's mostly another story. One of my objections was that there wasn't any more anything much good in the standard 175/70 size & nothing much at all in larger sizes except for a couple of "track day" tyres which have their concerns as normal road tyres in cold conditions & in anything but merely slick wet conditions.
Things have, however, just got better (at least for those with fat wallets).

Another frogger in another thread brought to froggers' attention a recent expansion to Michelin's "Classic" range. One of the tyres involved was the Pilot Exalto PE2. Mostly familiar in this country as OE on 205 GTI Peugeots, it is best thought of as the immediate predecessor of the PilotSport PS3. Like the PS3, it was a good wet tyre but not as responsive as, say, the PS2. So: sportyish. In some other sizes (including 205 GTI ones), there are better contemporary options available at much less cost. Not in 13" though.

The PE2 is a good thing & available in some attractive sizes (although at least 5" rims would the mandated, not an issue for most with RERs on 13"). These sizes are 175/60, 185/60 & 195/55.

In my view, 5" fronts with 175/60 & 5.5 or 6" rears with 195/55 would be able to be pressure tuned to give nicely balanced handling behaviour. These sizes are near identical in circumference.

Of course, apart from RERs, there is the set of R12 & R12-derived front drive vehicles using 13". Subject to the 5" wheel width requirement, the PE2 is worth their owners' consideration too.

From Longstones, the cost for 4 tyres delivered here would be around £550.

cheers! Peter

An oversight: 175/65-13 is also available (also 5" rim minimum).

Last edited:
4CVG, would these be a significant step up in terms of dry grip and wet braking than Michelin XM2+ ?

Will need a set of tyres for a recently acquired R5. Currently has 155/80/13 on 4.5” rims. 175/65/13 could be a good upgrade if I can source some 5-5.5” R5 Alpine rims.

I would say that they would be but the XM2+ is ok in the dry & ok in wet braking it seems. Problem area would, I surmise, be lateral wet grip. That said, I haven't read any tests of the XM2+ & am extrapolating from the XM2 tests, a Malaysian release account & Michelin's own compounding claims. If you know anyone with a Choice subscription (any other frogger here?), then theirs are going to be about the only tests of this sort of tyre.
If you can't find 5+" rims with correct offset then I'd be inclined to stay with the XM2+ but move to 175/70-13 (ok on 4.5).

My only other candidate would be Kumho's EcoWing KH27. Have a browse of the tests at Tyre Reviews (hit the 'all tests' tab):
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Kumho/Ecowing-ES01-KH27.htm

It's cheaper than the XM2+ (80, not 99) probably comparable (again, only Choice might have the two in the same test) & way cheaper than the PE2.

Regrettably, 175/70 has become another size with nothing but mediocrity available.

175/70 R13 have got great tyres BF Goodrich TA's Bob Jane around $200

BFG T/A Drive is a mediocre wet tyre; the Radial T/A is newly available in this size & I know of no recent tests of it (again, Choice might help) but it is an old type & much would depend on what Michelin has done to improve compounding. At around $190+, it'd be an expensive experiment compared to rivals. BJ AR+(made by Bridgestone) is overly comfort & durability orientated I submit. YMMV