Late english / slough traction interior light lenses?

Greg

Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a late Slough interior light lens for a big boot Light 15 / Big 15 / 15/6.

It needs to fit the lamp below:

View attachment 101145

The lens is a half circle, and the length of the lamp, and from memory its an off white colour?

They are very scarce, and have been for quite a while. I have a company that is willing to remanufacture the lenses, but he has lost the lens I gave him previously. It was the only one I had.

I'm not sure why they are scarce (there are none available in the UK either), but one thing that happens is that the plastic base falls to pieces eventually, so the lamp was probably replaced with something else?

View attachment 101146

So if there is anybody out there with one I can either borrow, or purchase, please contact me, either PM, or doublechevron@tpg.com.au

The lens manufacturer has already made two batches of the original Slough Big Boot Traction rear tail lamp lenses, (and with the chevrons the correct way up!). The first batch was organised by the Goodwins at Cessnock, and I bought a second batch.

View attachment 101147View attachment 101148

Most traction owner believe that the big boot cars were fitted with the Lucas L741 tail lamp unit, but while that lamp is similar, it isn't correct. The Slough lamp was a slightly different profile, had a plastic lens, and a deeper chrome embellisher.

The Slough lamp was also fitted to English 2CVs as well.

The Slough lamp had one design flaw........It was fitted with a bulb holder for a squat 5 / 21 watt bulb. For a while these globes were hard to find, and a normal height globe would also fit, but a long period with the foot brake on would melt the top of the plastic lens, hence the common change over to the Lucas unit.

For reasons quite unknown, there were lenses around that had been manufactured with the chevrons up side down?

The remanufactured original lens does fit the new Cocca tail lamp rubber bases, but you need the original deeper chrome base surround. These deeper trims are around, but most people don't know what they fit. The lens also need a rubber spacer underneath from a Morris Minor to sit on the base properly. The attachment bolts on the Slough lamps are a raised head slotted screw, where as the Lucas screw in a cheese head.

If anyone has any of the deeper chrome bases, I would also be interested in purchasing them.

Best regards,

Greg

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a late Slough interior light lens for a big boot Light 15 / Big 15 / 15/6.

It needs to fit the lamp below:

View attachment 101145

The lens is a half circle, and the length of the lamp, and from memory its an off white colour?

They are very scarce, and have been for quite a while. I have a company that is willing to remanufacture the lenses, but he has lost the lens I gave him previously. It was the only one I had.

I'm not sure why they are scarce (there are none available in the UK either), but one thing that happens is that the plastic base falls to pieces eventually, so the lamp was probably replaced with something else?

View attachment 101146

So if there is anybody out there with one I can either borrow, or purchase, please contact me, either PM, or doublechevron@tpg.com.au

The lens manufacturer has already made two batches of the original Slough Big Boot Traction rear tail lamp lenses, (and with the chevrons the correct way up!). The first batch was organised by the Goodwins at Cessnock, and I bought a second batch.

View attachment 101147View attachment 101148

Most traction owner believe that the big boot cars were fitted with the Lucas L741 tail lamp unit, but while that lamp is similar, it isn't correct. The Slough lamp was a slightly different profile, had a plastic lens, and a deeper chrome embellisher.

The Slough lamp was also fitted to English 2CVs as well.

The Slough lamp had one design flaw........It was fitted with a bulb holder for a squat 5 / 21 watt bulb. For a while these globes were hard to find, and a normal height globe would also fit, but a long period with the foot brake on would melt the top of the plastic lens, hence the common change over to the Lucas unit.

For reasons quite unknown, there were lenses around that had been manufactured with the chevrons up side down?

The remanufactured original lens does fit the new Cocca tail lamp rubber bases, but you need the original deeper chrome base surround. These deeper trims are around, but most people don't know what they fit. The lens also need a rubber spacer underneath from a Morris Minor to sit on the base properly. The attachment bolts on the Slough lamps are a raised head slotted screw, where as the Lucas screw in a cheese head.

If anyone has any of the deeper chrome bases, I would also be interested in purchasing them.

Best regards,

Greg
Actually Greg that was the second type of Slough lens for large boot traction, My 6H had that type of lens. However my 53 light 15 , dad's 52 big 15 and my first 52 light 15 all had a lens that was slightly smaller, and had parallel sides with no chevrons. They too were made of plastic and suffered from heat distortion and colour fading. The chrome surround had a rounded top and bottom instead of the 'V' angled top and bottom. They are even harder to find!
I may have the interior lens that you require. I will have a look!
I also have some samples of the earlier tail lamp lens. Would it be possible to remanufacture these?

DSC_0543.jpgDSC_0544.jpgDSC_0545.jpgSorry I have drawn a blank on the interior light!
Here are some pics of the earlier tail light!

Hi Jerry,

It's good to get some knowledge together re these differences in Slough production. I've seen the lenses, but don't have any. Just identifying them is a good start, as I'm sure they are around, but no one knows what they the fit?

Bob Shakley in Canberra has now accumulated a large amount of parts, and I'll give him some pics of your lenses to see what he has?

I always find my self disappointed that the English are so backward in producing any of these items. It's Cocca that produces the rubber tail lamp mounts, and proper glass circular instrument lenses, the English only a sticker.

I've asked the TOC for paint codes for Slough tractions, and they have none. I did have the code for Peacock Blue, I got it from Citroen Slough in the the late 1970's, but I gave it to Lance Collins when we sold him our previous 6H. He can't find it, but I should have taken a copy. The same story for the full 6H parts supplement that went with the car.

Thanks for looking for an interior lamp lens, I still have John Vanechop up my sleeve to find one........

Anyway, back to the lenses, my Lens guys can certainly make a reproduction of you earlier lens. He just needs a good lens. There is no set up cost, and he will probably do a run of 10 first to see if your happy with the results. But he will expect further orders!

The problem is :

A: Finding the chrome surround in any quantity

B: Remanufacturing the rubber? bases (2 sides)

C: Remanufacturing the bulb holder base

D: Selling them to the Traction owners of those vehicles to fit to those cars.

The UK are sort if interested in these parts, but my communication with Chris at TOC re the interior lamp lens was all about price. I sort of think that so long as its not over the top, availability is what more important?

I have about 20 of the late UK traction lenses with the Chevrons, but haven't done much about selling them, as I need to be able to supply the chrome surround as well, if they go to buyers with out them.

The bulb holder base isn't too much of a problem, as I have a few originals, and they were pretty primitive, and hand made.

Most owner seem happy to just fit the Lucas substitute, and its a matter of convincing them to change to the original lamps.

Given the rising price of Tractions, this really shouldn't be too difficult, but as I have two sets of the later lenses assemblies for both our 6H and out '55 2CV, I'm pretty satisfied.

Best regards,

Greg

The bulb holders of the earlier lenses are a real problem as they are die cast and with age are very flimsy. At least the later lenses that you have reproduced are able to fit the Morris/ Austin chrome surround and their bulb holders can be utilised. I think it was Rob Little that initiated the production of the tapered rubber blocks and also the instrument lenses. I can supply to you the set of one lens , one chrome trim and a rubber block. The rubber blocks are symmetrical therefore can be used for both left and right. They do not become 'handed' until the mounting holes and cable holes are drilled. The cast bulb holders mount to paxolin circuit board material which is fitted with the swaged nuts for the cover plate. I will try and dig one up as a specimen but it will be broken. My two good ones are on the car!

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your input. The late chevron lenses are a very bad fit with the Lucas Chrome surrounds, and need the deeper surrounds made for them. I use a Morris Minor base rubber under the chevron lens to accomodate the deeper chrome surround. It's not hard to rig up a good bulb holder, but you still need the squat bulb, or a led replacement, so the lens doesn't melt.

I have now found an interior light lens thanks to Lance Wearne, and CCOCA.

I'll work on the interior lamp lens first, but there are a few other projects we need to investigate, including the earlier lamps!