My new purchase. 1974 Citroen D Special

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share some of my latest photos of my DSpecial.

Sadly I cannot make the Citroen Concours Event next week at Yarra Glen. Sounds like a wonderful event in store.

I absolutely adore this car. I am very very lucky indeed.

Kind regards

Syd

Attachments

• IMG_20180218_152846.jpg
    IMG_20180218_152846.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20180218_152815.jpg
    IMG_20180218_152815.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 235
Syd,

I think the headlight housings should be attended to, to match the high quality of the rest of the car.
That old yellowish tinge certainly lets it down in my eyes.
A nice fresh Gris rose would totally finish the car off and it would be a stunner. :2cents:

Hi Harrison,

Thank you. I think the photo does not quite reflect the true colour of the headlight housings. They are in better condition then they appear, but point taken.

Was Gris Rose the only factory colour for the headlight housings in combination with AC088 - Blanc Meije?

Kind regards,

Syd

Hi Harrison,

Thank you. I think the photo does not quite reflect the true colour of the headlight housings. They are in better condition then they appear, but point taken.

Was Gris Rose the only factory colour for the headlight housings in combination with AC088 - Blanc Meije?

Kind regards,

Syd

Yes all of the headlight housings, regardless of body colours came only in that shade, they were not painted but tinted en masse.
I think when the housings are in the right shade they really set off the front of the car.

Congratulations anyway for such a nice DSpecial.

kangourou bi iode 70 71 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Syd,
The housings are not Gris Rose - they were just unpainted plastic and the colour varied quite a bit. Gris Rose is too dark.
It's a much lighter colour. There is a thread here somewhere which documents a good match - was it Surf Mist or something similar...? I'm sure someone else will jump in here and correct me...:)
Cheers,
Mark...:)

Hi Harrison,

Kind regards,

Syd

Syd,
The housings were never painted from the factory, there is no official colour. Whilst they are in good condition I would suggest cleaning only, she's a lovely gal and has earned a little patina no need for botox - sometimes Phil can be so. . . 'how you say. . . fwench" :approve:

Cheers
Chris

For anyone looking for a suitable paint, we used Heron White (a Holden colour, what the heck??!?) for Daphne's - it's a very, very pale grey similar to the original, and easily acquired from your nearest car superstore. It made a world of difference to the look - but why is there always debris falling into that area and spoiling the effect?

Sent from my LG-H815 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Syd,
The housings were never painted from the factory, there is no official colour. Whilst they are in good condition I would suggest cleaning only, she's a lovely gal and has earned a little patina no need for botox - sometimes Phil can be so. . . 'how you say. . . fwench" :approve:

Cheers
Chris

Well beauty is of course in the eyes of the Dee Holder.

I may as well keep being Fwench and point out that I had mentioned they were never painted but the plastic tinted "en masse"
Didn't mention they were painted Gris Rose, but said a Gris rose would be nice. And I can vouch it is nice for the headlights as it complements the wheels and other trim.
Since that DSpecial has been resprayed and well attended to, what would be the issue in having the housings also refreshed?:confused:

Thanks for the clarification Mark.

With GB's suggestion, I will give it a good clean and see how it turns up. I managed to remove the dead fly in the holder and other dust particles.

Hope your lovely DS21 BVH is treating you well.

Kind regards,

Syd

Hi Syd,
The housings are not Gris Rose - they were just unpainted plastic and the colour varied quite a bit. Gris Rose is too dark.
It's a much lighter colour. There is a thread here somewhere which documents a good match - was it Surf Mist or something similar...? I'm sure someone else will jump in here and correct me...:)
Cheers,
Mark...:)

Thanks Chris.

I will clean it in accordance with Michael Berry's instructions. I am hopefully it will come up really nice.

I hope you are well.

Kind regards,

Syd

I may as well keep being Fwench and point out that I had mentioned they were never painted but the plastic tinted "en masse"
Didn't mention they were painted Gris Rose, but said a Gris rose would be nice. And I can vouch it is nice for the headlights as it complements the wheels and other trim.
Since that DSpecial has been resprayed and well attended to, what would be the issue in having the housings also refreshed?:confused:

Hi Harrison,

I am all open for suggestions and ideas. You and others are a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than I am, and I hope I can absorb as much of the information and advice that you and others provide.

Once again, thank you for the suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Syd

Sorry Phil, both you and Mark had replied whilst I was composing my reply - which certainly was not aimed at your subsequent good advice.

This is of course my opinion, the buckets on my own car were in very poor condition and have been painted using a plastic primer and satin topcoat. There are so many things wrong with my own car when it comes to originality, much that was not of my doing but I live with it. This car (Syd's) is a standout for originality, something I personally place above any restoration, a car that has gently aged since leaving the factory - The danger in renewing any single component is that you highlight it, where does it end. . .

Cheers
Chris

Sorry Phil, both you and Mark had replied whilst I was composing my reply - which certainly was not aimed at your subsequent good advice.

This is of course my opinion, the buckets on my own car were in very poor condition and have been painted using a plastic primer and satin topcoat. There are so many things wrong with my own car when it comes to originality, much that was not of my doing but I live with it. This car (Syd's) is a standout for originality, something I personally place above any restoration, a car that has gently aged since leaving the factory - The danger in renewing any single component is that you highlight it, where does it end. . .

Cheers
Chris

Totally agree. And of course we all have different objectives.
My DS23 was so far gone when I got it that I had to remedy that, but only had a tiny budget, with the mortgage consuming the rest.
So I just had to adapt whatever I could find to make it resemble the original.
Along with the mechanical wonders I think DS's are at their best when made beautiful so thought I would make a comment.

All good Oldmate, we keep going! :wink2:

Wings off to get buckets out so why bother! It looks great as it is.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share some of my latest photos of my DSpecial.

Sadly I cannot make the Citroen Concours Event next week at Yarra Glen. Sounds like a wonderful event in store.

I absolutely adore this car. I am very very lucky indeed.

Kind regards

Syd

Hi Syd

Your DSpecial is looking fantastic -
I love how the colour and lack of embellishment show off the shape and lines.

Pity we won’t see you on Sunday..

in any case - Good Stuff !!

cheers

Ramon

Hi Ramon,

My DSpecial looks quite 'normal' compared to your beautiful DS23. I was lucky enough to see it at last year's Concours and WOW.

And I admit, you and I share the same mechanic so I got another look at it.

All the best with the event, and I hope to see lots of photos.

Kind regards,

Syd

Hi Syd

Your DSpecial is looking fantastic -
I love how the colour and lack of embellishment show off the shape and lines.

Pity we won’t see you on Sunday..

in any case - Good Stuff !!

cheers

Ramon

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Your words are too kind. Kevin has done such an amazing job in maintaining this car that I wish to maintain it to a similar standard.

I will be renewing the interior with some new seat covers (original style). And then try to ensure that the car is running for another 44 years. That would make me so happy. To balance this with a view of using the car on a regular basis is indeed a challenge. But one that I am willing to try.

Kind regards,

Syd

Some photos of the arguably most beloved French saloon with arguably the most beloved German saloon....

View attachment 104182View attachment 104183

Syd, If you need more garage space you can send the old white one back to Buderim - I would take great care of her!

Had a trip down to Junee mid Feb and I can tell you the C5 is a lot cooler and quieter than 'our' D Special in the heat.

As an aside those light buckets were a straw colour when I bought her in 1992. When I was renewing the seals and repainting them I talked it over with Lance and he assured me that the colour was 'normal', however, the end result was a shade darker than the original (? as in 1992).

Cheers Kevin

Syd, If you need more garage space you can send the old white one back to Buderim - I would take great care of her!

Had a trip down to Junee mid Feb and I can tell you the C5 is a lot cooler and quieter than 'our' D Special in the heat.

As an aside those light buckets were a straw colour when I bought her in 1992. When I was renewing the seals and repainting them I talked it over with Lance and he assured me that the colour was 'normal', however, the end result was a shade darker than the original (? as in 1992).

Cheers Kevin

This pictures of brand new DSs leaving the factory clearly show the colour of the headlight buckets:
javel2.jpg
livraison.jpg