Lexia and EOLYS?

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

The C5 has shown its first ever EOLYS message - at 213,000km. Maybe it's all my long journeys and only filling the tank when it's near empty (eg ~220km) but I have no recollection of it ever showing that message before or a service including EOLYS top up. Maybe I'm dreaming too...

Anyway, I've read stuff and watched YT vids and it doesn't seem a very difficult job at all. Which brings a few questions:

Is it an easyish job?

If you've done the job where did you source the refill and kit from? How much?

I don't yet have a LEXIA and am wondering if it is worth buying one? We of course also have the C4, so it would be used on two vehicles.

OR

Does someone in the Illawarra or southern Sydney area have a Lexia that they may be willing to loan to me please?

Cheers!

Hi all,

The C5 has shown its first ever EOLYS message - at 213,000km. Maybe it's all my long journeys and only filling the tank when it's near empty (eg ~220km) but I have no recollection of it ever showing that message before or a service including EOLYS top up. Maybe I'm dreaming too...

Anyway, I've read stuff and watched YT vids and it doesn't seem a very difficult job at all. Which brings a few questions:

Is it an easyish job?

If you've done the job where did you source the refill and kit from? How much?

I don't yet have a LEXIA and am wondering if it is worth buying one? We of course also have the C4, so it would be used on two vehicles.

OR

Does someone in the Illawarra or southern Sydney area have a Lexia that they may be willing to loan to me please?

Cheers!
I have a Diagbox Laptop that you can borrow. I'm based in NW Sydney, but I visit the Illawarra from time to time.
I had EOLYS replaced by Collier's in my 2006 C5 whilst I waited. The majority of time seemed to be spent on the laptop. It didn't seem like an overly difficult job.

Thanks - I'll get back to you when I source the liquid. Turns out EAI are out of stock with none expected for 8 weeks. Hmmmm...

Hi Guys,

I have done it, but managed to spill half, and yes you need Diagbox (Lexia is more or less defunct now).

You need to make sure you get the right fluid, as there are three.
To get the right type of additive check the colour of the press button on the pipe click fitting at the side of the tank.

This is what additives to use according to Citroen, and your pipe fitting buttons

- white - DPX 42 >RP9491
- green or white Infineum F7995 RP9492>
- green - should be Infineum F7995
- blue - should be Eolys Powerflex.

PM me if I can help you with supply?

Best regards,

Greg

No Citroen sold new in Australia would have used DPX42. Pugs maybe, but it preceded the 2.2HDi sold here from 2005 with a FAP.

Cars built pre-2011 would have had '176' initially supplied. Powerflex and Infineum replaced it, depending on model, and could be added to 176, but are not supposed to be mixed with each other. No doubt you could scavenge fluid from a car being wrecked, but be careful about mixing the fluids.

The C5/C6 used a rigid tank (176/Infineum) that can be refilled. C4 is a bag (176/Powerflex) and is not intended to be refilled.

Remember, the amount of Eolys is inferred from the initial fill setting and the subsequent driving conditions. So, the tank may not actually be completely empty when it says it is.

Last edited:
Hi David,

I thought this post was about C5's?

My point of reply was to make owners aware that there are different fluids

I am know that cars came from the factory with Eolys 176, but its now replaced with Infinieum after RP 9492. I didn't include the original fluid as it only confuses the issue.

Best regards,

Greg

It is about C5. Why refer to DPX then???

My understanding is if you don't top up more than 30 liters it does not inject any fluid, hence if you just put in $10 - $20 dollars each time you can go along way till your fluid refill. But then again i'm no expert :p

Hi Guys,

I think the system is smarter than that.......

I did my time with Citroen petrol engines, so I'm a learner here two, but the regeneration process is quite complicated in what it does and how it does it? And very effective!

I have a good mate who should know, who said you can fill up the additive tank with diesel, and you won't get much difference in the results, but when I altered the BSI settings on our C5 X7 AC to very hot climates, in stead of hot climates, so that the unit works better in real time, I got a huge ear bashing about not altering BSI settings.

Gee....... its not much use have settings that you can vary, if you don't play with them?

So make out of that what you will :))

Best regards,

Greg

There is a switch under the cap flap. Open it and the computer knows. So does the Eolys injection system.

I did the job today and after some teeth gnashing realised it's actually simple.

I sourced a kit from EAI and there is a pic of the box and the contents below.

This job is probably best if you can at least get the rear of the car up on ramps but the ramps were blocked by the D today and I couldn't be bothered getting it out of the way (think "The Castle").

Anyway, safely support the left rear of the car with enough room to get yourself underneath as you have to remove the plastic guard that sits on the left side forward of the rear suspension and wheel. There are two of those black round push clips to remove (one near the inner front edge of the left wheel), a white tipped retaining clip in a recess near the car's midline and four 10mm nuts you need to remove to get the cover away. Two of those 10mm are actually on the next piece of cover forward but you'll understand when you look.

Once the cover is out of the way you will see the side of the tank nearest the left rear wheel. It has a plastic pipe connected to it that looks very much like the pipe on the end of the long hose in the kit that comes with the bottle of fluid. This is the only pipe you need to remove. IGNORE the other pipes at the other side of the tank.

Wear gloves and goggles and have clean up rags handy as this stuff is apparently pretty "yuck".

Remove the pipe with the green push in clips and ease it horizontally away from the tank. Some yuck brown DPF fluid will run out - blech!

In the kit is a short pipe that fits over the fitting you just took the hose off. Put the short pipe over this fitting. It's supposed to be a snug fit but just in case I gently put a hose clamp over it. The end of the short pipe is to go into the empty 1l bottle that came in the kit and this is meant to catch any overflow. You can hang the catch bottle in the net and hook provided in the kit.

• With the long pipe with the orange cap, attach the short purple coloured "adaptor" that comes in the kit. It will only fit one way.
  • Then attach the other end of this adaptor to the black pipe and clip you removed from the side of the fluid tank - clever!
  • Ensure they have "clicked" and are secure.
  • Attach the orange top and tap to the top of the three litre Infineum bottle. Ensure the tap is in the CLOSED position. It will be obvious.
  • Ensure your catch bottle and hose is still in place.
  • Checking that the orange top is secure on the infineum bottle, tip is upside down.
  • Hold it about half way up the door of the car and open the tap.
  • The fluid will start to run down the hose into the tank and you will hear air sucking back into the three litre container as fluid runs out.
  • While the fluid flows in, check occasionally that overflow is not coming out the short hose - this did not happen to me. If it does I suppose you should stop the inbound flow as the car's tank is full.
  • When complete, disconnect the long hose from the car's black pipe, remove the short hose and catch bottle.
  • Reattach the car's black pipe to the tank.
  • Replace the guards and the job is done.

So simple.

I pondered keeping the pipes and fittings, but then realised that I have enough superfluous crap in the garage - so bin was the winner!

The car is still giving "warning" messages but that will be reset at the next service or if I can get to a Diagbox in the meantime.

The important thing is that there is sufficient fluid so the DPF should not block.

And now the pics! (D'oh!) mounts and dpf 2017052117.jpg

Attachments

• mounts and dpf 2017052118.jpg
    mounts and dpf 2017052118.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,987
Hi Guys,

I think the system is smarter than that.......

I did my time with Citroen petrol engines, so I'm a learner here two, but the regeneration process is quite complicated in what it does and how it does it? And very effective!

I have a good mate who should know, who said you can fill up the additive tank with diesel, and you won't get much difference in the results, but when I altered the BSI settings on our C5 X7 AC to very hot climates, in stead of hot climates, so that the unit works better in real time, I got a huge ear bashing about not altering BSI settings.

Gee....... its not much use have settings that you can vary, if you don't play with them?

So make out of that what you will :))

Best regards,

Greg

That's an absolutely retarded thing to do so in time you would be putting 5 year old diesel in your car or even older depending on how you drive who ever told you to do that should hang up the spanners yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Hi Froggers,

My C5X7 2008 has just sprung up the same 'DPF Fluid Low' message along with the service light at 202kkm. I ordered some Eolys from EAI according to my VIN and received a 3L refill kit of Eolys 176 with all the same bits as UFOs kit. I followed UFOs instructions above to refill my tank and found them very good - much easier to follow when you are looking at the job. I managed to feed my fill line up behind the rear wheel. I put a chair with a box beside the wheel so I had a place to rest the 3L container on so I could check under the car while filling. I didn't get any overflow either but it probably helped that I had the car a bit nose down so the back of the tank where the overflow port is was high.

Seeing I have a Diagbox, I decided to see if I could reset the Eolys counter and get rid of the annoying message. It took me two sessions before I was successful so I will tell you how it went.

I was successful using a Diagbox 7.57 with just the ignition turned on and the car not in Economy Mode. I selected the Repair option and let it find all the ECUs in the car. Then I scrolled up to find the engine/injection ECU and clicked on it. When its options came up I selected the Pack Repair option and then the Option relating to the Particulate Filter. This gave an option to reset the system after refilling the Eolys tank. When I selected that, it came back with a 'Learned' result. After I had backed out of Diagbox, starting the engine did not bring up the alarm or service light, so I think I have had a win.

The first time I tried, the car went straight to Economy Mode when I first turned the ignition on and I had tried to reset the DPF Eolys system with the engine running. All I got that time was a Programming Failed message.

Cheers, Ken