Hail damaged C5 potential write off

David M

Fellow Frogger
Last weekend my (sons') 2004 Citroen C5 was pummelled by hail.
Rear hatchback glass broken.
Panels with multitudinous dents.
With an insured value of $6000 with GIO, I want to know my best strategy to deal with the insurer.
The salient point are;

Insured value $6000.

Payment by the month means we will have to pay 11 months @ $135 pm or close on $1500

Payout will be $4500 IF it is considered a write off.

(Car is in VGC with 100,000kms so low mileage for age, timing belt done)

Rear hatcback screen broken by hail.

Glass breakage (any circumstances) covered with no excess.

As it is more than just glass, an excess of $1100 has been paid (young driver-24)

So now the payout will effectively be $3,400.

Clearly not enough to give like for like.

GIO wants to inspect the car and has told us to be prepared to forfeit the car upon assessment.
So we would get just over half of the cars value.

BUT for no expense from my part the rear screen could be replaced. The car would still be a reliable commuter/tourer. Just not a joy to look at.

If I make the choice ( do I have a choice?) to keep the car, is it a wise one?

Hi David :)
A problem to decide. The old problem of whose car is it ?? yours or the insurance companies ! They seem to say their's as they are paying the money. If you do not fix it then you will not get comprehensive insurance as it has now previous damage. They now know this. :(
I have no answer but possible you can keep it, fix the window yourself, do a Wicked Camper paint job and your son will be happy. But he must avoid an accident or you will have a fight then. The value on the car is pretty high I would think so perhaps you should take it even though you only get half of that.
A friends old dad got hail damage last weekend too on his C5 diesel. More miles than yours but still only 150000 I think. He is of two minds also. He was just going to let it go but now may be seduced by having a new car. He has been soo happy with the C5 for the last 12 years and will not have a licence much longer possibly. However my friend thinks logic may not be the deciding factor :(
good luck Jaahn

My two bob's worth: Fix the window, tell GIO to go away, insure it for full third party with Shannons or similar and just drive it.

Hail sourced panel damage has no effect on the safety or or drivability of the car. It's effectively valueless so full comprehensive is a bit of a waste.

Unless Dunc is sensitive about being seen in a car that's had the golfball treatment I see no reason to move it on. It's a good car, he likes it and it does what it needs to do.

Cheers, Pottsy.

My two bob's worth: Fix the window, tell GIO to go away, insure it for full third party with Shannons or similar and just drive it.

Hail sourced panel damage has no effect on the safety or or drivability of the car. It's effectively valueless so full comprehensive is a bit of a waste.

Unless Dunc is sensitive about being seen in a car that's had the golfball treatment I see no reason to move it on. It's a good car, he likes it and it does what it needs to do.

Cheers, Pottsy.

I would also get one of these to fix the hail damage.

pdr kit | eBay

A days work and the car could be looking good.

Its a personal decision. Pre 2005 C5s, whilst being very nice cars, are probably not going to fetch much more than $4,000.
In effect, you are probably getting "market value" even if undamaged. The 2004 may eventually be prone to expensive gearbox problems (if auto).

(Having owned a 2002, 2004 and now a 2005) I'd take the money and go for a 2005+ model, even if with high kms.
I bought mine (2.2HDI) with about 240,000kms for very few dollars. Fab car and the 2.2HDI motor is a joy.

If you are unconcerned with later resale value of the car, then it is less critical, but I'd say it is a good opportunity to upgrade.

If you are unconcerned with later resale value of the car, then it is less critical, but I'd say it is a good opportunity to upgrade.

I would think the above statement is a condition that all owners of Citroen accept.

John

Thank you all for the replies.
There is certainly some food for thought there. Whilst an upgrade would be nice, writing off the car seems such a waste of resources for not much payback.

If looks aren't critical then I'm with the fix it cheap and get it back on the road brigade. Cheapest and probably quickest option.

Yep. I agree. The ride is still the same. The comfort for the passengers is still the same. You can park it anywhere and not bother to lock it. You can park it in any tight space with no worry to you, even if you are somewhat complicate in the heart attacks of owners of fancy cars parked next to you.

There is a pure liberation in driving a car from the inside out, rather than from the outside in. From an anti-status point of it owes you nothing rather than the "I will be paying this car off for the rest of my life" syndrome. Look at the current MB ads showing old derelict cars and suggesting you should buy an new MB because only the best will suffice. An MB parked next to your C5 during that hailstorm would have not fared better. You have lost pocket money. They would have lost the second mortgage on their house.

The car with the most dents gets priority when changing lanes.

John

Hi :)
Yes, at my friends family gathering last weekend, there was the C5, a BMW X5 and his newish VW transporter. All seriously pockmarked. He tried to save the VW with some blankets in the car. Still has lots of dints and he is very pissed off as he usually keeps his cars till they wear out.:mad:
Still thinking what to do as the last car he had resprayed after hail damage was so poorly repaired he took it back for respray twice more after great discussion with the insurance company. When sold you could still see it was a respray and was devalued because of that. :clown:
There is no general answer !!
Jaahn

I am on the other side of the fence.
I bought myself a hail damaged Peugeot 307 SW with 150 000 km on it from auction in Brissy.
Paid $1500 plus auction fees.
I took a gamble on it as I needed a travel car where I can sleep in.
To get it running it needed a new battery and WOFI.
To get it registered and roadworthy it ended up costing me about $1000 extra. Now I have done over 10 000Km with it and running fine otherwise but automatic gearbox, yes AL4, is giving a klunk if cold.
Now it is parked at my mates property as I am in NZ.
Just wondering if I should drive it until the gearbox gives up? Or should I sell it?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

I am on the other side of the fence.
I bought myself a hail damaged Peugeot 307 SW with 150 000 km on it from auction in Brissy.
Paid $1500 plus auction fees.
I took a gamble on it as I needed a travel car where I can sleep in.
To get it running it needed a new battery and WOFI.
To get it registered and roadworthy it ended up costing me about $1000 extra. Now I have done over 10 000Km with it and running fine otherwise but automatic gearbox, yes AL4, is giving a klunk if cold.
Now it is parked at my mates property as I am in NZ.
Just wondering if I should drive it until the gearbox gives up? Or should I sell it?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Work out how much you will get selling it. If you bought it for $1500, you would be lucky to get that. Auction costs and other costs spent to register is dead money which you are unlikely to recover. What else fits your needs for $1500? I would tend to run it until the gearbox dies. Probably a good idea to change the oil frequently to extend the longevity.

John

I would throw the C5 away as I did with mine, not worth the future hassles and buy a reliable car - I chose a Honda and was so disappointed that I have bought yet another one second hand. Both Japanese have had no failures or wear on anything other than that fixed in the regular services.

But do they fare any better in a hailstorm? Or do you just junk them as well?

John

I bravely (foolishly?) stand by my position ..:rolleyes:

I love C5's but a Big Preference for 2005 - 2008 as the best bang for buck and lovely cars.

You'd do the changeover for little money and end up with a car that will be worth hanging onto for as long as it runs, even if it is not financially saleable at the end.

I've owned and operated a lot of Citroens, (including the ones below), and I would rate a "reasonably good" 2.2HDi as the best Citroen (or for that matter, almost any car) to own. I also re-state that if the C5 is an early auto, one gearbox problem will effectively kill any value left in the car.

Interestingly, I have had the viewpoint (of the 2.2HDI in that series) expressed to me by 2 - 3 Citroen mechanics/operators.

More talent than me...

Hi :)
Talking of the dimpled look, I noticed a Suzuki Swift yesterday that was VERY dimpled. They ARE made of tissue paper !
Jaahn

I'm wondering if the new dimpled look will lower wind resistance and improve fuel economy? Sort of a negative version of the Cactus' air bumps now retrofitted to the XM.

Either way, I am sure the term "cactus" will be used by all and sundry in describing the C5 in its current condition.

John

What an opportunity, get some custom plates first LORNA

Then go to Bunnings outdoor Section

Buy some artificial turf and contact adhesive.

Start gluing

View attachment 94160

Car is now hail proof