C5 sticky plastic dashboard?

dimistyle

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I think this is a common issue with the 2001 -2005 C5s as the parts car I have been scrounging on has the same but not as bad. All the creme lower plastic parts are terribly sticky all cover in dirt and fingerprints. Have tried multiple detergents and the citrus based sticky goo removers.

I have read " iso" from the chemist will do the trick.
Can anyone confirm they have come across this issue a have resolved

Sent from my GT-I9195T using aussiefrogs mobile app

This is the result of the demand, from journalists in particular, for so-called quality plastics, ie soft touch. Long term durability would be a better mark of "quality". Look up "haptic" coatings, mainly polyurethanes.

Re: sticky dash

I think this is a common issue with the 2001 -2005 C5s as the parts car I have been scrounging on has the same but not as bad. All the creme lower plastic parts are terribly sticky all cover in dirt and fingerprints. Have tried multiple detergents and the citrus based sticky goo removers.

I have read " iso" from the chemist will do the trick.
Can anyone confirm they have come across this issue a have resolved

Sent from my GT-I9195T using aussiefrogs mobile app
N

Mate, for what it's worth I worked with Saab and Volvo for some years and this was an issue for Volvo's around '99-'04...I gather it is the result or early generation bio degradable plastics that had been recently mandated in the EU. I can only presume this is the same issue? Whilst I could get the switches etc to be less sticky it did return unfortunately.

I've nearly had my car for 2 years now,(C5,V6, 2004), and one of the first things i noticed was the sticky feel of the lower dash parts, the glovebox , the console etc. My first solution was to wash it, thinking it must have been spilt soft drink or something. It wasn't. Then I bought a small can of water based clear varnish, and painted it all over. Problem almost solved. The sticky surface and the varnish bonded perfectly. However, this process preserved any stains or marks on the original surface. So, then I got some matte paint, mixed to match the original colour, painted over the old surface and it actually looks and feels like a new one now. No serious scrubbing needed either. Cheers.

I have this problem on some parts of our two Renault Scenics. "Simon" from the Renault forum suggested eucalyptus oil, and with elbow grease it worked very well. Just need dozens of elbows! It did take the stuff off and it has stayed off for more than one year. I just can't be bothered with the areas that don't get touched.

Deeply irritating stickiness.......

I've nearly had my car for 2 years now,(C5,V6, 2004), and one of the first things i noticed was the sticky feel of the lower dash parts, the glovebox , the console etc. My first solution was to wash it, thinking it must have been spilt soft drink or something. It wasn't. Then I bought a small can of water based clear varnish, and painted it all over. Problem almost solved. The sticky surface and the varnish bonded perfectly. However, this process preserved any stains or marks on the original surface. So, then I got some matte paint, mixed to match the original colour, painted over the old surface and it actually looks and feels like a new one now. No serious scrubbing needed either. Cheers.

Could you please provide exact details of the "water based clear varnish" please?

Further to sticky plastic problem, one of our Renault Scenics has gone disgustingly sticky on a few dashboard components. I can get it off with eucalyptus oil, with huge amounts of elbow grease, and we end up with very shiny plastic that seems to stay clean and shiny. I suspect it was a coating that degraded, perhaps due to interaction with a cleaning product or sunshine with its previous owner.

Today, I tried a new product from Super Cheap, a graffiti removal material "Motzenbocker's LIFT OFF Paint Scuff and Graffiti Remover" and it is superb. applied on a rag, not sprayed everywhere, it seems to dissolve the sticky stuff fairly easily. Still needs elbow grease....

Cheers

Tried all the tricks and cleaning stuff listed here on old posts, even used thinners, [longest lasting in my case] but the sticky always returned, eventually. It was horrible. I like a clean car not one which looks like a bunch of squatters have moved into. Gave up in the end. My main worry was the long term inhalation of plastic fumes can cause incurable liver cancer. Said fumes being exhibited by the reoccurring smeary surface of those internal glass areas which defy maintaining in a clean condition.

Anyway all that aside, Wattle make an absolute clear water based varnish, name escapes me but Bunnings carry it, looks milky when applied but dries absolutely clear. It does scratch, so beware those women's razor sharp nails and hand adornments, and it's not recommended for hard wearing surfaces but seems to last very well however. It can be sprayed on if required, I've used it several times when restoring antique furniture and the finish is top notch.

Tried all the tricks and cleaning stuff listed here on old posts, even used thinners, [longest lasting in my case] but the sticky always returned, eventually. It was horrible. I like a clean car not one which looks like a bunch of squatters have moved into. Gave up in the end. My main worry was the long term inhalation of plastic fumes can cause incurable liver cancer. Said fumes being exhibited by the reoccurring smeary surface of those internal glass areas which defy maintaining in a clean condition.

Anyway all that aside, Wattle make an absolute clear water based varnish, name escapes me but Bunnings carry it, looks milky when applied but dries absolutely clear. It does scratch, so beware those women's razor sharp nails and hand adornments, and it's not recommended for hard wearing surfaces but seems to last very well however. It can be sprayed on if required, I've used it several times when restoring antique furniture and the finish is top notch.

Thanks for that. I think with the Scenic that it is an overcoat that is failing/degrading, as the shiny plastic revealed by its removal seems to stay stable and smooth. At least the test area is fine after more than 9 months.