Boot keeps opening on C5

Silver C5

Tadpole
Hi Everyone.

I am having trouble with my wifes C5 II 2006 Hatch. The boot keeps on opening when we unlock the car or open a door. It is intermitant but constant. I have been doing some reading up on it and it could be a micro switch in the central locking boot catch. The other idea could be that the BSI has gotten scrabbled and it needs a reset. I have instructions on how to do this manually. Does this look right??????

To perform the reset;

1. Put the drivers window down and lift the bonnet (leave the key in the ignition)
  2. Ensure all equipment (stereo etc) is switched off
  3. Ensure all doors are closed and reach through the window to remove the key from the ignition
  4. Wait 3 minutes
  5. Disconnect the battery and then wait 15 seconds
  6. Reconnect the battery and wait 10 seconds (Do not open any doors)
  7. Switch on the ignition (but don't start the engine) and check that all tests pass
  8. Hold the lock button on the key down for 10 seconds
  9. Remove the key, open the drivers door, close it and check the central locking works (I had to hold the lock button down for another 10 seconds at this point)
  10. Start the engine and complete the systems check
Note: When you put the drivers window up, it won't automatically go all the way up. Make sure you close it all the way before putting it down, otherwise the automatic close won't close it all the way until you next turn the ignition on and off

Has anyone had similiar problems with their Citroen ?

Thanks

I'm not sure if this is correct but it sounds similar to a sequence I saw in an article in our CCCQ club mag recently. AF should store all these setting sequences somewhere for future reference. The one for resetting the accelerator pedal is another one that is reputed to improve drive-ability considerably.

Over to the C5 experts.

Cheers, Ken W

Gosh.......... I read that reset sequence.... and can't stop laughing!

Its totally beyond my comprehension that anyone wants a computer in a car.

I love my carby, points and window winding handles...... Oh hang on, the 2CV hasn't got window winding handles.
But then it hasn't got a radiator, fanbelt, water pump, electric locking, nav, cruise control, turbo or blue teeth either.

It does have central locking.... I can reach all the door locks from the drivers seat.

Back to your erratic boot. I could post you a roll of silver/grey tape!

It could also be a sticky button on the remote if it has a separate button for boot release. Sometimes the rubber swells up and does not release contact with the conductive track on the remote control's circuit board.

Is the cars battery OK. Get it load tested. Computer systems need a very constant power feed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The boot opener is a pressure contact switch and it can play up in old age. That's possibly the most likely cause of the problem, but don't forget the wire bundle can fray between the body and tailgate. Slip back the boot and check for any frayed wires. A dealer will have seen this before so avoid paying to retrain the local auto-electrician.

But can you do it from OUTSIDE the locked car?

(Stuey struggles to think of the only 'benefit' to the technology...).

... and from a distance!

It's a neat trick to have the auto-open tailgates on later wagons when shopping.

Gosh.......... I read that reset sequence.... and can't stop laughing!

Its totally beyond my comprehension that anyone wants a computer in a car.

I love my carby, points and window winding handles...... Oh hang on, the 2CV hasn't got window winding handles.
But then it hasn't got a radiator, fanbelt, water pump, electric locking, nav, cruise control, turbo or blue teeth either.

It does have central locking.... I can reach all the door locks from the drivers seat.

Back to your erratic boot. I could post you a roll of silver/grey tape!

I dunno ... my kids were amazed at the technology the 1963 ID19 has ...... "LOOK DAD ...... The window still works with the car off" ............ as she slowly winds up the back window :roflmao: :roflmao:

My 2006 C5 had the same problem. The plastic piece that you press to open the boot loses its 'spring' and stays in contact with the microswitch.
I fixed it by disassembling the handle and sticking a couple of pieces of adhesive backed neoprene foam to the inside of the handle which then act as a spring to return it to the proper position away from the microswitch. Once reassembled, you won't see the foam strips.
It worked at treat!

There's nothing like a bit of sticky foam to fix technology designed to last 5 years......

Although I'd expect to replace the fix every 5 years too.

Maybe the boot is hungry. Why don't you feed it with suitcases?

John

Just spoke to a friend over the weeken who picked up a face lift C5 3 months ago, and this is her problem as well, some weeks she has no boot unlocking other times the boot opens every time......I'll check her boot opener handle and see if she needs the sticky foam treatment.

Great reading old threads for simple fixes.

My C5 Wagon (now retired to the private wrecking yard) had a similar issue. It was caused by a broken piece in the plastic surround near the button. The button could get stuck behind the plastic surround. This would result in odd things like the boot unlocking when you opened a door or started the car - which is simply because that's when the computer checked the switch. Worth having a look.

I have a C4 coupe series one that has started doing the same boot opening antics accompanying the unlocking of said vehicle and opening of doors. Sounds like the tailgate switch has a similar problem. My remote is relatively new as i replace the case every couple of years.

Sent from my SM-T113 using aussiefrogs mobile app