11BL Resto-EV-Mod

KiwiPete

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
I posted an intro thread here: https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/11bl-resto-ev-mod.141175/ but I figure I should keep an ongoing one with progress. Hopefully this will motivate me to keep it updated!

I got all the wood paneling stripped out of the inside. Interior stripped, doors, mud guards etc. Xmas weekend was spent pulling the motor and gearbox.

Next project is to strip the front end -- I get to break out the tools I bought from CTA!

Attachments

• empty engine bay.jpg
    empty engine bay.jpg
    970.3 KB · Views: 212
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Motor_trans_out.jpg
    Motor_trans_out.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 225
  • Side profile.jpg
    Side profile.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 227
  • trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 223
Slow progress. I have been exploring different gearbox options as I proceed on the teardown. Details here:
https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/gearbox-swap-in-an-11bl.142337/

As of last weekend, I have the front end off, steering disassembled. My plan for the upcoming weekend is to use my new Chinese bearing press to separate the silentblocs from the torsion bars. Hopefully a 20ton rating will be enough.....

IMG_2473 (Medium).jpg

I'll be happy when this thing stops marking its spot. Whenever I'm done working on it there's always a trail of rust flakes, as well as that mix of 70 year old oil, grease and dirt.

IMG_2475 (Medium).jpg

Thanks Steve. Yes - same here.

Living in the US, it'd be a lot easier to get a Ford or a Chevy from a similar era, but the lines on the TA just seem a little more refined. A little swoopier :)

Most of the last month has been spent cleaning the accumulated oil and grease of all the front end components. Cradle, upper and lower arms, torsion rods. I have ordered primer and chassis paint so that will be the next step.

In the course of working on the front end I needed to move the body shell every weekend. I have to play a certain amount of "Tetris" in order to get anything done in the garage. The front end was precariously balanced on a pair of axle stands on the dollies (scroll up to see a pic). Not horrible if suitable care was exercised, but I now need to jack up the rear end to pull the axle and tank. The combination felt like a bad idea, so I knocked this up over the weekend.

Front Cradle1 (Medium).jpg
Front Cradle2 (Medium).jpg
Front Cradle3 (Medium).jpg

Front Cradle5 (Medium).jpg

Now that its done I can see room for improvement. I'll probably add additional 2*4s on the outside of the cradle bolts to stiffen up the plywood sandwich, but I don't think its going anywhere. I can roll it around the garage easily with no stability issues, so I'm happy.