DS interior door handles

forumnoreason

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi, again I know this should be in the wanted parts section however I hope the Citroen forum catches more attention in seeking out this part, my rear passenger side interior door handle is snafu, has been since I bought the car 17 years ago!, the screw that holds the locking 'lobe' has been over the years mutilated by person/s who just didn't get it. Broke it basically. Which reminds me I looked at SBS On Demand Vampryus Lesbos movie from seventies the other night and the goodies at the end had a Safari and the passenger alighted the vehicle using the outside door handle! He just went curse it the camera is rolling and I have to get out of this infernal French carsomehow obviously. (bland film btw). It reminded me of what the doors cop from the uninitiated, a right flogging leading to breakages. So whilst I think this handle is repairable the effort needed compared to acquiring another doesn't weigh up! Plus it has lost the chroming so it's completely not good.

Looking for one as such for 74 model, it has 18 stamped in disk on centre inside of arm, if that clarifies the length, 69mm lever length. I have dismantled my doors (thanks for tips via your rest thread Chris : ) ) - I found sliding the window up and manually prising off the clip on winder mechanism from window glass/frame was the only way to go as I couldn't get the steering column tool suggested to wedge into the piece! I had a set back on the weekend when I accidentally bumped my front wing ( finished, painted with lamps and wiring, rubbers, installed) and it then slid a second later landing and dinging the top. I stood with my back to it thinking I don't even want to look at this... exclaiming "Plopper" loudly. Must have scared the neighbours if they heard!!

Anyway since I'm attacking the doors now so fixing it is like water off the ducks feathers. (right HOURS more work that should never have had a chance to manifest). Rotter!

If you have a handle floating around I would be keen to grab it! Doesn't have to be flash, just working : )

Cordialement
Steven

Last edited:
You know there is a little spring behind that 'lobe'? It can be fitted in two ways and that either allows the 'lobe' to lock the handle or prevents it from locking, which is what is common on the later front doors so they can be opened from inside. Do you just need the lobe? The lobe comes out via the screw an can be changed, but the 'lever' is fitted with a pin that you'd have to drill out. I can give you a 'lobe' and the screw and probably the spring, but not a whole handle without badly flaked chrome.

I have in my boxes of parts in the garage, a brand new spare handle that may just suit your needs. Not going to look for it at 10:30pm, but I will try to find it tomorrow arvo. As it's brand new it won't be free, so we'll talk on price.

Brilliant! Thanks guys. I'll put a photo up to illustrate the issues.
Cheers
Steven

Some info for D door handle fanciers ...

I expect I was not correct (sounds better than 'wrong'!) about the alternate fitting of the spring comments above. Although I'm sure I recall it being possible to change the spring location, none of the handles I've looked at today allow for that. It is possible to fit the 'lobe' backwards sit can't lock, but it's fairly obvious that all of these handles want the locking lobe and spring fitted so that both ends of the spring are seated in the holes provided.

I assume these handles are from left to right: Rear, Early Front, Late Front (non Locking):

DSID_InsideHandle_Diff1.JPG DSID_InsideHandle_Diff2.JPG DSID_InsideHandle_Diff3.JPG

And you can see the different lengths of the opening levers on both the occupant and inside door sides. The door side of the levers are longer on the front handles by about 5mm, protruding by about 20mm and 15mm for front and rear, respectively.

The third picture in the group shows there is a difference in the cutout for the locking 'lobe' to seat into. So, the part on the right can't ever lock because there is no recess for the 'lobe' to catch in. Turning the 'lobe' around wouldn't be effective on that type of lever. I believe it was an ADR requirement in the later cars so you can always exit the car in an emergency.

And here is the locking 'lobe', screw pin and the spring. The spring is tapered, although it's probably not critical. Free length is 16mm. Large end 4.5mm. Small end 3mm.

LobePin.JPGLobePin_Fitting.JPG

Last edited:
Some info for D door handle fanciers ...

The third picture in the group shows there is a difference in the cutout for the locking 'lobe' to seat into. So, the part on the right can't ever lock because there is no recess for the 'lobe' to catch in. ADR requirement in late cars so you can always exit the car.

And here is the locking 'lobe', screw pin and the spring. The spring is tapered, although it's probably not critical. Free length is 16mm. Large end 4.5mm. Small end 3mm.

Terrific thanks David :wink2:

I was pulling my hair out trying your suggested method to get my front door handles to lock from inside, I can see now it was never going to happen - rear handles yes - fronts no way. . . :wink2:

Cheers
Chris