AC colour code for 68 DS 21 wheels

Middlemoon.1

Fellow Frogger
G'Day,

Can somebody post the AC colour code for my wheel colour? They're finally ready to paint and I've misplaced the notes I'd been given about the grey colour. It's a 68 DS 21.

Tim

Hi Tim,
It should be AC140 Gris Rose...
I had mine powder coated and "grey nurse" is very close as is RAL Silk Grey apparently...
Cheers,
Mark...

Hi all,

What paint BRAND should be used for the best AC140 Gris Rose result (sorry about my ignorance here).

Tim

Hi all,

What paint BRAND should be used for the best AC140 Gris Rose result (sorry about my ignorance here).

Tim

Tim, no worries. Answering your "ignorance" here is a lot cheaper than having to refinish your wheels again a couple of years from now. It ain't ignorance. Ignorance is knowing the answer and still insisting on being stupid.

That said- my suggestion would be go to a good quality body shop and ask them. There are several good brands to choose from: PPG, Rinshed-Mason, Sikkens, DuPont. Just so long as you have the tinting formula, you can get AC140 from any of them. You could also try what Mark did. Just so long as you don't beat the wheels (i.e. curb them), and the surface prep is done well, powder coating is a durable way to go. Lastly, if you're looking just to spray bomb them Rustoleum makes a gray very close to Gris Rose. I'm also guessing you can get the 'professional' paint in a custom spray bomb at an auto paint store. Just be prepared to spend some money.

Hi Tim,

IMHO just powdercoat them - it's much more durable...:)

"Grey Nurse" is a bit lighter than AC140, but I'm told RAL Silk Grey 7044 is very close to AC140.

Just a point - and you probably know this but there was a change on the DS at some time from 5" round hole to 5.5" square hole wheels. My memory tells me the change was 69 model year but I could be wrong - if that's the case your car should have the round hole ones. Just worth checking...?

No biggie but if you had the choice of one or the other you'd go with the right ones whichever type they are.

Cheers,

Mark....:)

Fantastic info - thanks gents. The wheels have had a good amount of prep following blasting. Very interesting about the holes. Looks like I've got the earlier wheels. Once they're done, Russell Stuckey is going to fit the new michelin 180x15 tyres that are waiting. Managed to get a nice set of pallas hubcaps from Spain...should all come together well....together they're almost worth their weight in gold but it's worth it to get the fundamentals straight I think. Thanks again and I'll post a pic when they're done.

Tim

Hey Roger,

If you are reading this how are the wheels on deesse holding up? They were powder coated about 15 years ago. I am thinking of having the SM's wheels done too in the same light grey though they should be black.
cheers Tony

What do we do with the plastic headlight surrounds? I have an opportunity to do something about them now while things are apart. Do I just clean them up, paint, or...I think Michael mentioned fine papering them back or something like that? Mine are a bit stained etc.

Tim

What do we do with the plastic headlight surrounds? I have an opportunity to do something about them now while things are apart. Do I just clean them up, paint, or...I think Michael mentioned fine papering them back or something like that? Mine are a bit stained etc.

Tim

Hi Tim,
It really depends how bad the plastic buckets are, my first advise would be to clean with soap and water then a mild abrasive like household 'Jiff Clean' or similar, perhaps using a green scotch pad in the badly stained areas. After 40 years these cars have earned some patina so assess the condition before going down the paint route.

The buckets were never painted so there is not a paint code, though commonly it is suggested that AC140 is correct (it's not). My own were in pretty poor shape so I did paint - I took a bucket to my local auto paint supplier and found a fairly decent match with Anchor Moss Vale Sands Acrylic, and used a plastic primer.

9532d1288955889-greenblood%92s-d-very-special-rejuvenation-2009-21remove-bucket10.jpg

9533d1288955889-greenblood%92s-d-very-special-rejuvenation-2009-22remove-bucket11.jpg

After fully curing the finish is a semi-gloss and quite close to original, that was back in 2009 and they still look like new with no hint of cracking or crazing.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Tim,

Just a couple of pics of the light buckets on the 69 for reference - I was very lucky to find some NOS buckets - I know the computer can show a lot of variation, but they look very close to Chris's painted ones...

Hope it helps,

Mark...:)

MEG_2586 (Small).jpgMEG_2587 (Small).jpgMEG_2588 (Small).JPGMEG_2589 (Small).jpg