605 / XM PRV Top Hose

addo

Contented Peugeot Driver
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
It's exploded on me for the fifth time, and my source now declares nil stock on the early pattern hose. (I know, should'a bought them six months back when there were still a couple on the shelves. :blackeye:) Being a complicated shape means the cost of reproducing it in China or India would still be high.

I'm having a fabricated alloy section made to span between the bleed pipe and top radiator spigot. This has two tees for the coolers; one straight and one projecting at a 45° angle. Material will be 38mm OD welded aluminium alloy pipe including mandrel bends, about 2mm or greater wall thickness.

Cost for this adventure is estimated about $500, and should be ready within three weeks (sooner, I hope).

Dumb question .... But why is it bursting the hoses. Is you header tank cap allowing huge pressure to build up?

seeya,
Shane .

The head gasket(s) are on the way out, and further there is oil leaking into the coolant which has rotted the hoses.

There is a good looking 605 in the for sales, may be cheaper than your new hose! :wink2:

Why don't you fold up some standard metal piping to use as the hose joiner. $500 sounds very extravagant to me :)

That's what my grandfather, father and uncle did many years ago when they fitted scorpian engines into the back of there VW Kombis. They run mild steel pipes the length of the car underneath to a bullbar mounted front radiator (renault 16 radiator up front and renault 16 radiator in the back). The mild steel pipes no doubt lasted the life of the vehicles). My fathers Kombi was still on the roads 10years ago, only it was running a fuel injected 2.6 litre magna motor by then having been upgraded over the years.

If you don't think that'll work, whatever you do ... don't look at the lower hose on a Citroen DS :)

seeya,
Shane L.

It's a matter of appearance, reliability, time available, my skills and materials to hand.

I have undertaken repairs to related hose areas before, this is the most substantial and "future proof". I may be paying a little more to have it done by someone who welds stuff like turbo engine plenums for a crust, but they understand the result required and I actually like the idea of paying for a little of someone else's experienced, creative input on these things.

I'm just jelous :clown: I couldn't imagine having $500 to spend on a car, let alone on something I could bodge a cheap repair for :roflmao: ..... I could buy a new spring set and bush kit for the rangie, paint for the ID19 or CX .... all sorts of stuff :( ...

It's all fun though :)

seeya,
Shane L.

You could look at the cons - holes in my teeth, holes in my shoes; it's ultimately where we choose to put our coin, I concede...

Ready ahead of time. $500 all in.

Attachments

• IMAG5859.jpg
    IMAG5859.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 320
oooooooo shiny

i'd love one for mine but sadly i'm thinking about parting with the car as i just don't have time to use it

Do you want us to find you a nice old ID19 so you have something fun and different too sedately meander your way around town in :)

I think most of his commuting could be done via electric treadly. Parkes is small and modestly flat.

most of my travelling in on foot as i live that close ro work i don't need to use the car

i use the wagon when i need to go shopping or deliver and pick up gear for the shop or head out of town

sadly the 605 doesn't get a look in

also thinking of parting with the 306 as well

i'll just stick to the wagon and get in to putting 2 older pugs on club plates

After a lot of sidetracks, I fitted the top hose mid-roadtrip as the old one was swollen like a sausage.. Having been put up in some halfway decent digs within cooee of the Murray since, the car hasn't really been "stress tested".

I was due to head east/north this afternoon, but could smell antifreeze somewhere. Leak was identified as a small weep on the engine oil cooler tee. The cause being my hose clamp a bit large to squash nicely. I've held fire until tomorrow, when I can buy some smaller clamps.

Ready ahead of time. $500 all in.

That sure is pretty. I reckon you could get an exhaust shop to bend up a dozen copies of it easily and cheaply. You'd still need to solder in the two smaller hoses though.

seeya,
Shane L.

The head gasket(s) are on the way out, and further there is oil leaking into the coolant which has rotted the hoses.

Addo,

"Oil leaking into coolant ?" Oil pressure being greater than cooling system pressure. Could the oil cooler be leaking into the coolant?
Head gaskets may be OK.:2cents:

I'm totally not a "target fixation" person. I can say there is oil in the coolant, it's either from the engine oil heat exchanger corroding internally (a known problem in Blighty) or issues with the oil transfer port peripheral seal in the head gaskets.

There is also combustion gas that percolates into the coolant, it isn't much but increases with engine load and the header tank reaches an "equilibrium" where the gases are audibly purged under heavy throttle without further loss of coolant - however the standing level of the antifreeze is well below the correct cold temperature / ambient pressure gauging point.

The bits of this car I know to have been worked on by Euroserve generally seem wanting in my book, so I am expecting to find an undertensioned head or broken fastener when more investigation is done.

Things we do for our cars....

Nice piece of plumbing addo, when the Pug expires you can mount it as a monument to human ingenuity or plain ornery stubbornness.:wink2: I applaud it. Nice work!!:headbang:

Ken:)