Dee Plastic Bits

ScotFrog

Fellow Frogger
Does anyone in Melbourne have a spare spark plug cap/ guide which I could borrow for an evening. Attached image is the best I can do with memory and some inadequate DPlugCapSmall.jpg photographic references.
We've got a new 3D printer coming next week and I'm dying to give it a go!
Also the top battery retainer frame. A previous owner for Sue has built a RUGGED aluminium frame but it's problematic on a few counts. Attached image again for reference.TopHolderBattery.jpg

SF

Dude....

Citroworld | Dé webshop voor al uw Citroën auto-onderdelen (Citroën DS, H, HY, HZ en 2CV) en speciale gereedschap

why don't you just buy a new set of leads and be done with it, get 2 for good measure, they'll be here in a week.

Citroworld | Dé webshop voor al uw Citroën auto-onderdelen (Citroën DS, H, HY, HZ en 2CV) en speciale gereedschap

Maybe you can bundle the freight?

The first thing I would do with any newly acquired D is, plugs, insulators, leads, diss cap, coil, oil filter and gaskets, condensor, and rotor..... and then some.

But, but, but.... I want to try out my new printer!
Thanks for the addresses nonetheless Michael, much appreciated. I'm making up a (long) list of required parts before I place an order and just wanted to stave off frustration by printing these bits in the meantime.

SF

Does anyone in Melbourne have a spare spark plug cap/ guide which I could borrow for an evening. Attached image is the best I can do with memory and some inadequateView attachment 55938 photographic references.
We've got a new 3D printer coming next week and I'm dying to give it a go!
Also the top battery retainer frame. A previous owner for Sue has built a RUGGED aluminium frame but it's problematic on a few counts. Attached image again for reference.View attachment 55940

SF

The battery frame was never plastic as far as I know (plastic would have made too much sense). It's a bloody ripper battery tiedown where shorting across the battery terminals is required :rolleyes: . Use recessed terminal batteries at your own risk ( don't ask :eek: :eek: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

But, but, but.... I want to try out my new printer!
Thanks for the addresses nonetheless Michael, much appreciated. I'm making up a (long) list of required parts before I place an order and just wanted to stave off frustration by printing these bits in the meantime.

SF
Are you able to 3D scan ID19`s Steering wheel dash plastic cover? I was thinking to buy 3d printer for it but learnt it is difficult to make a file and 3D scanning can be expensive.

Buy a X-box kinect 1st version if you can find one they now sell new for $50 download the 3d scanning software place your item on a turntable and let the kinect scan it, smooth out the model and 3-print it.

Here is a very basic how-to Locket of Love: From Kinect to 3D Printing

The kinect is a amazing bit of kit and i use one for 3d depth in my full size digital pinball machine.

A video of myself explaining it BAM+Future Pinball+Kinect Example - YouTube just to show the power of what the kinect can do.

Are you able to 3D scan ID19`s Steering wheel dash plastic cover? I was thinking to buy 3d printer for it but learnt it is difficult to make a file and 3D scanning can be expensive.

It can be scanned but I don't have those facilities. However I could probably re-create it easily enough. If you send me the part or bring it in I'll have a go. Getting a good print is another issue but armed with the 3D there are professional bureaux which will deliver quality results hard to tell from original.
Send me a P M.

SF

I have a spare one, it's a bit grubby and the hole in the centre has been widened which you could probably reduce with plastercene oe such like. PM me your address and I'll post it to you. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399640395.677359.jpg

Had a chance to look at the Dee Spark Plug covers today. It shows you how wrong you can get by just following photos or inadequate drawings. :(DSPlugCap-b.jpgDSPlugCap-a.jpg

The correct one should be obvious to those in the know.
I'll check a couple of dimensions and make a drawing then try a sample 3D print on my NEW printer:headbang:

SF

yeah

I can appreciate not taking the easy way out, however, in this instance it seems ridiculous. 27 euro and you are home and hosed, and some new leads into the bargain. ....... and 3 other caps and some nice new rubber grommets for the distributor and coil. I'm sure there is something that can't be sourced that would be more useful.

Attachments

• ignition-leads-carb.jpg
    ignition-leads-carb.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
I reckon go nuts! I'm thinking indicator/light knobs, wiper knobs straight off the cuff. I know jack about 3D printers except the concept and possibilities are amazing. I'll send you some knobs if you want to have a crack, you could sell these if they print well. : )
Steven

Last edited:
Hi SF. I haven't caught up with you although Brother John did meet you when you were having hydraulic problems in Daylesford. You probably know that I have ID parts. I'd have a battery "cage" for $25 if you were wanting one.
It would be nice to visit you in Elphinstone. I could bring what you wanted and see the ID that you purchased.
My email is mwfpaas@gmail.com
Michael

I can appreciate not taking the easy way out, however, in this instance it seems ridiculous. 27 euro and you are home and hosed, and some new leads into the bargain. ....... and 3 other caps and some nice new rubber grommets for the distributor and coil. I'm sure there is something that can't be sourced that would be more useful.

I know it seems like a wasted effort but ponder a couple of aspects.

At present most, if not all parts for these cars are available as NOS, remanufactured or are recovered from various sources, donor cars, spares in the boot which came with your purchase etc. This won’t always be the case.

There have been a couple of threads on this forum where members are seeking and finding it difficult to find for example, plastic dashboard mouldings, high pressure pump bodies or three belt water pump pulleys.

Plastic parts in particular are very vulnerable and metal parts fatigue, corrode, wear out or rust… relatively quickly. Plastic parts degrade very quickly in the presence of UV and contaminants and are reliant for their replacement on the availability and maintenance of, in some cases, several hundred thousand dollars worth of steel tooling. Tools like these get damaged, lost or scrapped periodically and when that day arrives such parts will become rare and would accordingly become very expensive. It is counter intuitive to look at a 10c part and find out that it comes from $100,000 worth of machined steel but that’s the reality.

Co-incidentally I believe that we are on the brink of a new industrial revolution. The need for toolmakers, moulding tools, supply chains and many types of factory is now disappearing as fast as the typing pool did when Microsoft Word appeared on our PC’s. In most of our lifetimes we will see the day when a home 3D printer is as ubiquitous as our laptop or I-pad on which you are reading this diatribe.

3D printers need 3D data.

The Dee was designed and built in the days of 2D paper information and is therefore vulnerable to data loss. I realise that 1.5 million were built and that we are still reasonably cushioned from their disappearance but this will not always be the case.

I would not waste my time on many artefacts from the 20th century. The fifties in particular was stuffed with many obscene design lumps best forgotten. I believe that the Dee flew in the face of the trend of this lost era and was intuitively recognised by a discerning element of the population for its integrity and that this recognition still echoes today, 50-60 years later.

The effort of re-creating bits can be disproportionate to the result. The part which prompted this thread took me less than an hour to model and about 40 minutes to print. I would not mind betting that it took weeks to design and months to tool the original part. Some parts are simple and some will knock me back on my heels for a bit but at the end of the day I’ll have a collection of files which, by and large will be useful. That’s the benefit of digital information. Once the data is shared some kind of immortality is assured. Many of us use the term ‘custodian’ to describe our ownership of these vehicles and compiling a 3D data base is just an other contribution.

There’s a second aspect to this exercise which I find interesting. Why did the original designer choose to take a particular approach with the detail of the part? The spark plug cap is a case in point. In the image it has a couple of odd pointy bits (circled) which I couldn’t quite fathom out. DeePlugs.jpg
Once I re-constituted the 3D the penny dropped. It was a way of getting round a tooling problem.
It's sort of satisfying to join up the dots and build a more complete understanding.:)

SF

Good luck Scott frog.
I think I have just about had enough of this forum, it's capacity to attract new enthusiasts without filtering the morons is too much to put up with. Your capacity to drill down into the completely irrelevant aspects of DS restoration is dumbfounding! You bought a ridiculous car for stupid money and you want to get into the macro detail of a spark plug cap?
Delete me now!

Kind regards Mberry0

Last edited:
The best things to try and re-create would be early DS dash parts, ID19 side vents for the dash and dash top. They have turned to glass from sun exposure over the years and aren't easy to find.

seeya,
Shane L.

Well ,I certainly don't agree with mberry. I knew nothing about these 3D printers till the other day but scotfrog ---- this is brilliant and it is these ideas that make this forum so valuable to me.
I have a list of at least 5 ID owners that are desperate for the plastic dash parts and vents. Even the plastic toggle switch that operates.
"A 3D Revolution" BRING IT ON ----------- Michael
PS If mberry was "wafting along" on a cushion of air in a '62 ID at 70mph he'd think twice about that remark he posted.

Good luck Scott frog.
I think I have just about had enough of this forum, it's capacity to attract new enthusiasts without filtering the morons is too much to put up with. Your capacity to drill down into the completely irrelevant aspects of DS restoration is dumbfounding! You bought a ridiculous car for stupid money and you want to get into the macro detail of a spark plug cap?
Delete me now!

Kind regards Mberry0

I appear to have offended you Michael. That was absolutely not my intention. Your contribution to this forum I have actually found invaluable, particularly your restoration thread and will be used by me as a standard I would aim for in my own Dee restoration.

Again if I offended, my sincere apologies.

SF