PRV Bearings - Durability

addo

Contented Peugeot Driver
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm probably having kittens over nothing, but noticed the other day in a left-right-left manoeuvre, the oil pressure and STOP lights come on ever so briefly (barely even enough time to reach full glow).

I've also had this happen the odd occasion when braking really hard. I'm running a shandy of 5-40 full synth topped up with 10-40 synthetic. No other additives (eg, Slick-50).

My concern is whether this much of a warning light is indication of possible damage done. It's a concern because of how readily one can lunch the bottom end of an XU9J4. Don't recall seeing PRV issues below the head gasket line, really - so looking for input from people who push things hard.

Thanks, Adam.

Next time you are over my way, I'll give you some zddp additive.

Jo

Addo, you are not trying hard enough. Ditch the Pug and get an XM with a PRV if you really want to indulge in warning light paranoia. Mine used to come on most times I stopped at traffic lights.

Roger

I believe that's one of the few warnings lights and msgs not received on "the" XM.

I also believe it runs on a diet of thicker oil than your shandy, however.

I have a 2.8 even fire PRV here with a slight knock. Though it was driven over 1000km by the previous owner with NO oil in it.

Is it definitely the oil light? My Brake fluid light occasionally flashes during sudden turns and then hard acceleration even though it's at the maximum mark.

Warning lights are just that. On their own they diagnose nothing, they just let you know something outside their set parameters has occurred. A wise man (or woman) would investigate.

It's definitely the oil light that flickers. I've had the panic lights come on before; it's usually the ECU coolant sensor losing a signal that triggers such paranoia. This is easily ignored by knowing the oil and water temp gauges to be reliable/accurate.

My dipstick had lost its tip long before my ownership, I add 5½ litres at an oil/filter change and try to maintain the level that makes on the stick - it doesn't burn much or leak much.

I've no idea what a healthy motor shows as hot oil pressure on a mechanical gauge.

I will, but there is a secondary issue I'm up against now. Both my car and the flood-damaged donor motor have the "old style" dipstick and tube, that comes up near the right side of the radiator. Later ones had a more central dipstick and shorter tube. What I don't have, is an intact version of the long dipstick to measure where mine should stop being inserted!

It's got one (in the form of a dual purpose oil gauge) - that being an instrument I distrust.

The only XM I would consider, you own and I cannot afford.

A dual purpose oil gauge sounds great to me. I trust the XM oil level gauge. About 140,000 km driving experience in them now.

You could afford the Seidler car, no problem. The blue one is not for sale because I am going to drive it until it cannot be driven any more. I still cannot believe it was for sale in the CCCV newsletter for three whole months and no one took it seriously.

Roger

The only oil level gauge I trust in a CX or XM is the dipstick!

So, what does the HS car actually need? Didn't it have a tranny problem? Maybe just those governor seals? I'm sure we could have an XM whiparound to find any bits missing or faulty and get it back on the road if you wanted to pursue it addo.