DS Injector Part Numbers

DX5

Tadpole
I had a couple of Bosch injectors in my hand earlier. Part number on them is 0 280 150 003. A little searching online quickly reveals that these :evil: suckas is bad news! An early DS21 part prone to causing fires...

Then it becomes clear that 0 280 150 043 are all that are apparently sanctioned. Well, Cindy has a matching set of 0 280 150 015 fitted! Never heard of them :confused: ? More searching online reveals that they have the same flow rate rating as the others.

My concerns are what are the differences? If the flow rate and spray pattern is the same then they ought to be OK? Maybe the part number is to do with something minor like length of flexi hose or style of clip.

What exactly is it about the 003 that causes fires? An internal leak filling the plenum full of fuel or an external leak spraying the engine bay? Also are the 015 I have safe - they don't have a similar design flaw like the 003?

The 015 seem OK, I had them out a while back and tested with 28PSI & 3V, all sprayed nicely and didn't drip. Is there any point in getting them serviced having done that test? Were 015 ever fitted by Citroen - the number doesn't show up in the Bosch EFI catalogue which lists vehicle applications - only shows the 043 for DS21 and DS23...

Would like to have my mind put to rest! :cool:

:cheers:

Richard.

I've never really found a definite explanation of why there is a problem with the original style injectors, but I thought it has been claimed that the body could sometimes crack where the barb enters. These days you would have more risk of a fire from perished fuel hoses than failing injectors. If you still have the braided hoses, you will probably find they have had it under the braiding. Don't discard the braiding by the way as you can, with care, recover it and slip it over replacement hoses to improve the appearance and give the new hose a bit more protection.

Earlier D-Jet injectors have an inlet/barb with a raised ridge to retain the hose. A lot of D-Jet injectors with the early style inlet/barb had the hose crimped on to the injector and you were supposed to replace the injector when the hose failed. That was the case with the Volvo 164 (used -015 apparently - same rating as DS) and the DS parts book shows a crimped on hose type injector. On D-Jet Jaguar V12's, the hose is not crimped, but clamped and you find the same type of injector inlet/barb used with both crimping and clamping. I would think most people would have just cut the crimp and clamped on a new hose, but as on the Jaguar, you have to check the clamps every so often to prevent leaks. There is nothing wrong with injectors that have an inlet without a proper barb and it's probably the easiest choice for the DS.

Although not used on the DS as far as I know, the inlet/barb style was changed later to a proper barb and the part number would also change for this reason. An example is 0280150036, which was originally used on early Benz 450's with D-Jetronic and has a barbed fitting. It has a suitable rating for the DS23 and will work. It's not really a good idea to use a hose clamp on the barbed fittings, so the hose diamater becomes important. Many people use generic 5/16th (almost 8mm) EFI hose that will be an easy push fit on the barbed inejctors, but I wouldn't trust it over the long term as I've had this setup leak on a V12-HE (not D-Jet, but similar). Fine for clamping at both ends, but I wouldn't use it when relying on the push fitting. Jaguar sell their original, but expensive, 7.0mm hose for the injectors, but it's virtually a press fit onto the barb. While it's fine for the injector end, on the DS the barb size will be a little smaller than the rail ends and that 7.0mm hose won't fit. So a bit of a compromise would be needed there.

Last edited:
Thanks David, very informative.

Firstly I didn't realise the hoses were braided. 3 of them had already been replaced when I got it with one original hose still crimped. They were all badly cracked. Photos attached.

20090331003_DS_IE_Fuel_Rail_Hose_Crack_1.jpg 20090331006_DS_IE_Bosch_Injector_2.jpg

I replaced all the hoses on the fuel rail with 5/16" injection hose a couple of years back. It seemed like a nice fit on the rail and the injectors which have the crimp type barb. Didn't think of braiding though!

the inlet/barb style was changed later to a proper barb

By proper barb are you referring to what I would call a 'fir tree' or garden tap style design?

As long as there's no reports of the 015 doing what the 003 might, it sounds as though they're sound. If I'm feeling prosperous in the future, maybe getting them serviced would be worthwhile and some new mounting rubbers too. :)

Thank you,
Richard.

Yes, 'fir tree' is a good way to describe the later type. That's what's under the hose with the ferule on the injector on the left in the photo. The earlier style is on the right. Cutting old hose off the fir tree type fitting can be done with a soldering iron to prevent cuts in the barb.

I'd been on the hunt for some injectors from a Volvo 164 as I knew they'd be OK, so 015 would appear to be fine and the 5/16th hose would suit both the rail and those injectors. It's not worth leaving any of the old hoses while you have the rail out as it's really very inconvenient to do them in situ. A good EFI hose has an inner liner, a webbing layer and then an outer covering. Some of the cheap stuff isn't very good, but as you need very little, it's worth spending more for something like Gates hose. Braiding is fine, but hides rotten old hoses as in the photo.

You might also check that the regulator releases at the correct pressure (about 30psi as I recall) before refitting it as it's a pain to get at without removing the rail. The plastic pintle cap is missing, so make sure it's not stuck down the hole in the manifold, where it might fall in. Having them serviced is a good idea as also you get a clean basket filter and a new pintle cap. It may have lost it, so check to see if you have the small clip to secure the rail to the bracket at the front of the head.

One little gotcha is that the 4 setscrews securing the individual inlet manifolds to the head go into the water jacket. If you remove them for any reason, you need to apply some sealant or you will have coolant weeping out.

Attachments

• OriginalHose.JPG
    OriginalHose.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Injectors.JPG
    Injectors.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 662
Thanks again David, that clarifies things a bit. From what you're saying, the 015 are Volvo then, never original Citroen fitment?

I adjusted the fuel pressure regulator in situ a couple of weeks ago, down to 26PSI (slightly lean) from 33PSI (too high). Some info on why I did that on another thread I started here: Air:Fuel Ratios . For a DS, it wasn't too hard to get at!

I don't think any of the injectors had a 'pintle cap' - if that's the blue plastic sleeve on the spraying end of the left injector? Is it important, I think long gone in my case? Maybe through the valves and incinerated! From memory (it was 3 years ago I did it) there is indeed a support at the front of the rail, I will have a look next.

I'll ask around here locally for a good injector service agent when the time comes.
:cheers:
Richard.