My XM has landed

Isn't that like saying your kids run fine on red cordial?

This is what the strut mounts should not look like. Pic of Chris's (Green Blood's) car, now at my place. I drove it into one of the sheds yesterday. The rubber perishes and lets go. It has to flex quite a lot from lock to lock.

View attachment 35468

John, I can probably help you with at least some of the interior bits (if I can work out how to pull it apart without breaking anything). Pic of same car. I may not be able to spare all the bits you need though (mine has cracks too).

View attachment 35469

Roger

I have the plastic surround that runs across the lower dash behind the steering wheel across to the aircon control panel, seems to be in good un-broken condition but black (grey on my old car). It was promised to David S, if he no longer needs it, it is available for the cost of transport.

I also have a passenger side driveshaft in good condition, (process of elimination when diagnosing the gearbox).

Cheers
Chris

The failed strut would be an old style, but larger diameter strut from Shane's diesel. You look at the bottom of the mount after you pull the gaiter down. If it's got a visible steel ring, it's the later style, but early style mounts do not have the extra, top hat ring at the bottom. That's why they go right through like Roger's photo. The photos are of Xantia parts, but the differences are the same. To check them, put the car to maximum height and look for tearing to the major part of the rubber, ignoring the webbing left over from manufacture. With early style mounts, if the bottoms are no longer round, then they are sagging and need replacement. The bad news is availability ...

For a 12 Valve V6's, the larger diameter struts have a nut on top of the mount that's 27mm across the flats. If it's a smaller nut, then the car has the smaller diameter struts used in earlier cars. Early 24 Valve and other engines are likely to be of different diameters as built, but may not be as original by now. As long as you move the strut and the strut top together and as a set, they can be moved between early and late cars as the bodies are the same. All of the original small diameter struts were the old type, but some would have had replacement stut tops of the new style. Initially, larger diameter struts had the early style strut tops, but probably changed about 1998 to the later style. As they are so easily changed from car to car, you have to check what's actually on the car or maybe end up with the incorrect strut tops.

p.s. Chris, No I won't need the dash parts now.

Attachments

• OldMount.jpg
    OldMount.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 429
  • NewMount1.jpg
    NewMount1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 413
  • NewMount2.jpg
    NewMount2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:

Don't yours? :)

This is what the strut mounts should not look like.

OK, mine don't look like that. No problem. :)

John, I can probably help you with at least some of the interior bits (if I can work out how to pull it apart without breaking anything). Pic of same car. I may not be able to spare all the bits you need though (mine has cracks too).

Yes please!

Actually, I noticed today that my T-bar is ratted also, so if you don't need that, I'd like it please.

Very nice Michael I used to see these all the time in the uk, yet havent seen one over here ever!!

Hi Gezza,

I'm John. Michael's my son. We share this account. (Well, he steals it, often...). :)

My dash

Here's how mine looks...

Attachments

• IMAG0422.jpg
    IMAG0422.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 538
  • IMAG0423.jpg
    IMAG0423.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 466
  • IMAG0424.jpg
    IMAG0424.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 445
  • IMAG0425.jpg
    IMAG0425.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 457

This is what the strut mounts should not look like. Pic of Chris's (Green Blood's) car, now at my place. I drove it into one of the sheds yesterday. The rubber perishes and lets go. It has to flex quite a lot from lock to lock.

View attachment 35468

View attachment 35469

Roger

Some of that plastic in GB"s car is amazingly good...... If by some miracle you get it out without destruction ( I've worked on BX's so believe me, it won't be simple), how on earth will you get it to Western Australia without destruction. :(

BTW: That car has been parked in a shed the entire time it was at my place, yet look at all of the pine needles in those two piccies .... How on earth did they find there way *inside* a shed :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

John, if you wait for me to do the dismantling work you will probably be waiting a fair while. Do you have any prospect of venturing over east at any time soon? Pretty much whatever you strip you can have for free. I would prefer to keep the long surround piece that goes around everything below the instrument panel, because mine is broken in a couple of places. But you would be welcome to mine as it is still much better than yours.

By T-bar do you mean the auto transmission control lever? You're welcome to that too, but it does have some cracks in it.

Get some loctite 406 and use it to strengthen your height control lever. The plastic breaks and you are left with the metal stub and it is difficult to change heights. I bet yours already has cracks in it. I have already had to repair mine, and I see this one has broken off.

Roger

Roger all that, Roger. :)

I was in Warnambool three years ago, and will probably be there again some time in the next 25 years. :)

Lovely place, btw.

Let me have a think about it. There might be a solution. One thing I would like is the fuel pump. Mine's arrived this morning from the UK and it is a smaller diameter than the original. That doesn't matter as I can make it fit, but what now concerns me is whether the new one produces the same flow and pressure as the original.

Does anybody have any experience with these? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Citroen-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43afbf0ccf

The pressure in Bar will be stamped on the pump's side somewhere. It should match the pressure on your pulse damper and regulator.

I fitted a similar one to my Xantia in the pre-Lexia days when people were suggesting "it might be the fuel pump". The difference in girth was made up for by fuelproof foam you wrap the new pump with.

One hundred thousand kilometres later, either it or my pressure reg is now slightly losing standing pressure over a good few hours - this causes more cranking to be required upon startup.

Just as an FYI, an incorrect four digit code will also cause the pump not to work. Does the keypad light go green when you enter the code?

Neither the pressure nor anything else, not even the manufacturer's name, is stamped on it. :)

Yes, the immobiliser is working - or at least, it goes green as required. I checked the pump manually, pulling it out and connecting power directly to the correct terminal, and it's dead.

I asked around at various places this morning and nobody mentioned fuel-proof foam. Do you know where that's available?

Instead, I have asked my friendly machinist to make up a couple of shrink-fit brass bushes and he'll have that done later today. So we may well have a running XM tonight!

I have looked at the tops of the struts and they appear fine. Do you have to unbolt them and lift them to see underneath in order to inspect them properly?

I don't know where you get the foam separately. I have some here, wrapped around the pump from PT's old Xantia.

Yes, I posted some photos on the previous page of this thread, which were actually Xantia parts. You check them from the underside with a torch and the car at its maximum height. A very simple check to do every so often, at least twice a year I'd suggest, more frequently if you know you have trouble brewing there.

Thanks all, I'll have a good look in the next day or two.

Also, our phone line has a fault so we're off-line at present, but I should have reported that we have lift-off. The new fuel pump works, and the car runs and drives nicely. Spheres need re-gassing, so the ride isn't superb, but it's exciting to drive it anyway!

Thanks all, I'll have a good look in the next day or two.

Also, our phone line has a fault so we're off-line at present, but I should have reported that we have lift-off. The new fuel pump works, and the car runs and drives nicely. Spheres need re-gassing, so the ride isn't superb, but it's exciting to drive it anyway!

always keep in the back of your mind that it's nearly as good as a 605 :D

:)

So, who was at the French Car Day in Perth? We got the XM there at about 12.30.

Ah, if I had only known! I'd definitely have said G'Day.

It was great to catch up with a few blokes I had not seen in years - Kerry Torpy, for example. Lovely chap, and his restorations are just perfect. After looking over his green 404 I was not sure whether I was a darker shade of green that it!

Here's the XM btw - IMG_0410.jpg

It's probably one of the great failings of any car gathering. We all arrive in our cars, lock them up and walk away - most of the time, to look at what else is there. Perhaps it would be better if we had a sign in the window "Name, AF nickname, mobile phone, I'm here - like to chat" etc.

So many times you find out someone you wanted to meet was there and you didn't cross paths.

I wandered over a couple of times to say hi, but didn't find you hovering around the XM! Next year! :D

Maybe we met but didn't put car ownership to the face :confused: