1.2 3 cylinder engine?

simca1100

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I have some friends who currently have a Berlingo. That want something with a bit bigger load space, and are considering either a Partner Maxi LWB or an Expert SWB, or other brands equivalents. New or almost new.
They would like advice about the 1.2 litre 3 cylinder engines used in the petrol-engined Partner. I vaguely recall reading about big problems with them here. Are they reliable, well sorted now? Or should they get the diesel? They will be low km drivers but always country roads, clogged dpf shouldn't be an issue in the diesel. They do regular long drives but the car may sit in the garage for a week or two between drives.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi simca1100

Others on this forum know much more than I do about this engine.

We have one in Mrs Whippets Peugeot 2008 SUV with the 6speed Aisin auto.

We like it for its torque in the 25 to 80kmh range that the turbo provides and it is great for urban driving. It also has adequate 81kW power for the highway as well. When we do our regular 300km Melbourne trip it usually achieves 6.0L/100km. The long term 9,999km fuel economy is 6.6L/100km. The engine has many design features and goes into Miller cycle when on part load during cruising. 95RON petrol is specified.

This engine has experienced problems with the camshaft drive/timing belt as the material swells, degrades and breaks down mainly due to petrol blow-by in the engine oil as the belt is a "wet" design located internally in the engine. My understanding is that the latest cam belt revisions have improved material selection and are more durable than original belts. The liberated rubber / fibre particles coalesce in and block the oil pump inlet strainer, this then can cause oil cavitation with reduced oil flow and subsequently the low oil pressure alarm will trigger. This occured on our vehicle after approx 65,000km. From what I have been able to ascertain the worst faults were in the range of 2000 to 2016. Also I have not found any evidence that the cam belt actually breaks even after shedding of material.

The only other issue we have experienced is that the original spark plugs can fail causing the centre electrode insulator to crack and cause a misfire. I am aware that in some instances the insulator can be liberated from the spark plug and be lose in the combustion chamber, which might cause damage. I am informed that the later NGK spark plugs don't experience this issue.

Other than the above I have found the engine easy to work on and access for sparkplugs and oil/filter changes etc.

Again, others more familiar with this engine than I will likely comment.

Link to my comments about the cam drive belt failure: https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/many-fault-code-for-2008-my-2018-1-2lt.147967/
Post #37 details my sparkplug failure: https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/i...t-2008-1-2lt-ownership-feedback.134842/page-2

Cheers.

Last edited:
Partners only come new with the 3 potter. Experts however have the 2.0L HDI diesel. For all round reliability and service life, take the diesel.

Thanks Whippet and Seasink, that is helpful.
I didn't know the Partners were petrol only now.
An Expert SWB may be the go, or a Trafic SWB.

Our LWB diesel Kangoo is now getting more use than the 'normal' car ! and at 50+mpg it's a winner all round. Only complaint is the road noise, typical for a van - killed somewhat by putting an old heavy rug on the load space floor. Probably needs some rubber on the walls and roof, maybe those 2' interlocking squares with the holes in them from BigW and others.
Bob