'05 Peugeot 206 GTI 180 Engine Assembly Manual

Aln

VIP Paid Subscriber
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
A friend is in some difficulty with his 206 GTI 180, in that when a non Peugeot repair workshop went to change the cambelt they were unsuccessful in getting it to start. The mechanic thought that he may have got the cam timing wrong and bent some valves, and so pulled the head off, and that is where it is at after some months, the mechanic washing his hands of the whole thing.

I just don't have the time to put this back together, but my father in law has agreed to do it. The head is now fully disassembled and cleaned, finding that no valves are bent.

What we need is the instruction pages from a manual for refitting the head and cambelt. I see Haynes do not do one specific to the 180, EW10J4S engine. I have downloaded a manual from EmanualsOnline, but have currently not got it to talk to me.

If someone has this info and could scan and email or somehow get this to me, I would be very thankful. Otherwise if there is this info in an available manual I would like to purchase it.

Interestingly this engine has had a solid copper head gasket fitted previously, and I have since found that the head bolts on the 180 are only 127mm, and not 141 like the standard 206 GTI. For a standard head they have good sized valves and ports, and are a pretty nice thing.

Last edited:
You used to be able to create a service box account for free; pop the VIN in, then look for and print out instructions for most jobs. Also helps in tracking the part numbers for correct parts for that model (although I’d still recommend double-checking with a dealer or aftermarket supplier).

Service Box - you should be able to switch to English or use your schoolboy french.

You will need to pay for the instructions but in saying that I might have the info you need you will need the crank pin tools I have and can lend if you pay post and will offer the lose a left nut if you lose them the head was built by mecha chrome uk that did formula one engines back in the day head tensions etc are very specific for this motor so be careful I will have a look for the pin locations they are different to standard 2.0

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I went onto the Service Box site and printed a few diagrams, but as you say a small fee of 7 Euro needs to be paid to have 1 hours access to the desired information.

If you can give me the pin dimensions I will be able to make them on my lathe. Thank you both for your help.

dimensions are there with you, cam has the thicker of the two needed and the locating hole in the head the other. Perfect whilst head is not fitted or is it? Pistons at half mast will allow you to do some measurements.

Drill bits work well for the Cam timing (4-4.5mm cant remember exactly), I never felt the factory tools fit snug enough where as drill bits did. For the crank you will need the factory tool. Cheap enough to buy a Chinese copy. With the J4S motor you can peg the exhaust cam in 2 places. Causing low compression but no belt valves. There was a Service Bulletin about it.
timing.jpg

dimensions are there with you, cam has the thicker of the two needed and the locating hole in the head the other. Perfect whilst head is not fitted or is it? Pistons at half mast will allow you to do some measurements.
The head is off the the car and completely dismantled. Valves are not bent and will give them a lap before reassembly with new valve stem seals.

Drill bits work well for the Cam timing (4-4.5mm cant remember exactly), I never felt the factory tools fit snug enough where as drill bits did. For the crank you will need the factory tool. Cheap enough to buy a Chinese copy. With the J4S motor you can peg the exhaust cam in 2 places. Causing low compression but no belt valves. There was a Service Bulletin about it.
View attachment 115483

I expect the "a" position to be the correct one give another responder has said the pin is only 4.5mm thick. I have only seen the completely disassembled head for a few minutes a week ago, and nothing else, and didn't look for the pin positions.

I have printed off a heap of instructions from Service Box, and we will see how it turns out. Always a hassle getting a job where someone else has pulled it apart.

Yes I believe it was A. Its been a long time since I've touched a car, but the other location "felt" completely wrong. If the pin fits snug you've got the right hole- what a nice metaphor!

Is the car/engine in Brisbane?- I could walk you/FIL through the rebuild, they are not a terribly complex engine at all.

The car is at Borallan (spelling) North West of Ipswich and will be getting moved via my trailer to my father in laws place at Ipswich in the next week. Jim is quite capable, but just has not seen one of these cars. He has made up the cam pins and I have bought a full top end gasket kit, with seals, valve stem seals, and new head bolts. I don't think there will be any drama, it just helps to have all the information at hand, or even beforehand.

I suspect the mechanic may well have made the exhaust cam mistake on the pinning of the cam wheel, but if it was all marked it would not have been a problem replacing the cam belt in the first place.