Michelin vintage & classic distribution in Aus

Buttercup

D Stracted
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm looking for XVS for the DS21, and 165x400 X for the DS19.......

I looked on the michelin website, and see a few distributors in Vic, a few in WA, and a couple of others scattered around.

None...... not 1 in NSW.

It looks like they have done a deal to distribute in a restricted way...... to keep the price up.

I rang Michelin, curious to know the reason for this unfortunate situation.
I was told that my local michelin retailer could get supply from Antique or Stuckey....
And there is not much discount for the reseller.... so we are going to pay at least 10% more in NSW.

One of my local dealers says he can supply Nankang 185/80 15 .... for just under $200....

Has anyone got any experience of these?

Not sure if you have any objections to buying from offshore, but I bought mine online from UK and paid considerably less than what was being touted locally.

I've had the Nankang retro fitted to mine for about 3 years now and they seem to perform fine. That said, my only point of comparison is the 30 year old Michelins that came on the car when I bought it. Partly it came down to price but the other factor was that nobody in Australia had any XVS in stock and weren't likely to for a few months.

The local market for original Michelin XVS basically disappeared over the last 10 years as they became very expensive and difficult to obtain. Until recently they were nudging $1000/tyre by the time shipping and fitting was factored in. it's not surprising only a handful of tyre shops in Australia decided to continue trying to stock them.

Longstone tyres in the UK used to have a pretty favourable deal for Aussie customers.

Not sure if you have any objections to buying from offshore, but I bought mine online from UK and paid considerably less than what was being touted locally.
Yeah, but how was the freight and GST?

Longstone current price plus freight and GST looks more than Antique quoted at $499...... in Melbourne.

I looked on the michelin website, and see a few distributors in Vic, a few in WA, and a couple of others scattered around.

None...... not 1 in NSW.

It looks like they have done a deal to distribute in a restricted way...... to keep the price up.

I was told that my local michelin retailer could get supply from Antique or Stuckey....
And there is not much discount for the reseller.... so we are going to pay at least 10% more in NSW.

One of my local dealers says he can supply Nankang 185/80 15 .... for just under $200....

Yes Bob, I put a pair of the Nankang Retros fitted to the front of my DS23 around 3 years ago and do around 4,000 ks a year. I have been very happy with them, good grip, no tyre squeal and good adhesion in all conditions. Mind you, the driving is less enthusiatic these days and not pushing to limits at all. I will buy another pair very happily when needed. Ken

I ran the Nankangs on my DSuper and they were fine, especially considering the price difference.

I checked Longstone’s pricing ex the Uk for 5 of the 165x400 Michelin X, but once shipping was added (and assuming I could get around the 10% GST that it should attract), The $365 each from Stuckey wasn’t far off. And it supports an Australian and local company, which after all goes through all the hassle of importing.

I got the impression from my chat with the Michelin office that they do the importing but for some reason have agreed with very few distributors to retail.
2 in Vic, 2 in WA (one of which has 3 stores)
Even the Michelin branded dealer in Tamworth can't access them directly.

None...... not 1 in NSW.

I guess if you don't mind going povo there seem to be a few Chinese options from an outfit called Tyroola.
I inherited Federal Super Steel 185/80 R15 93T's on my DS23. When I drove it home for about 400km I couldn't fault them. What I hate in tyres is out of round and imbalance and they had none of that. Shit handling just makes for more fun so no problem there either.
From my searching around I think you will find a round black rubber thing to put on your rims for circa $90 - $120 each. Ovation is one such at $103 each.
Like I say - don't be too proud unless you're in a fashion show

Some observations:

First, my recollection is that the DS has 5.5" rims. If that is correct, then I suggest some vastly superior 195/65-15 modern tyres. Current best in class is Continental's PremiumContact 6 but the shortlist is robust. Only downside I can imagine is that these will undergear the DS by 6.4% - not a major issue I suggest.

Second, when considering local sourcing versus Longstone's in England, I suggest that price is a less important consideration than stock age. Longstone's have greater turnover & are likely to be more able to supply tyres younger than 18 months of age. If, for some reason, one insisted on XVS, I'd use them & pay a slight premium unless a local source provided a guarantee of acceptable age.

Third, the argument against Federals or Nankang-made faux XVS or whatever merely round & black rubbish is not that they won't keep the rims off the tarmac or feel fine when quietly trundling around but that they are going to be part of the problem, not the solution, if one's beloved DS is involved in an emergency swerve &/or brake in the wet. There are not a lot of classic tyre tests about but the estimable German publication AutoBild does them & I have an electronic copy of a test of classic tyres including the Nankang-made Retro faux-XVS & Michelin's XWX. Also included is a very mediocre modern tyre, the Maxxis MAP-1. A quick summary is that none of the classic tyres is dramatically superior to the mediocre MAP-1, the XWX is disappointing (the XVS would fare worse, especially in the wet) & the Retro in appallingly bad across the board.

YMMV but I'd fit 195/65-15 (tubeless) PremiumContact 6 tyres-

When it comes to 165-400 though, the choice is X or X or X. As opined above, I'd use Longstone's on stock age grounds.

cheers! Peter

Reactions: cjl
Some observations:

First, my recollection is that the DS has 5.5" rims. If that is correct, then I suggest some vastly superior 195/65-15 modern tyres. Current best in class is Continental's PremiumContact 6 but the shortlist is robust. Only downside I can imagine is that these will undergear the DS by 6.4% - not a major issue I suggest.

Second, when considering local sourcing versus Longstone's in England, I suggest that price is a less important consideration than stock age. Longstone's have greater turnover & are likely to be more able to supply tyres younger than 18 months of age. If, for some reason, one insisted on XVS, I'd use them & pay a slight premium unless a local source provided a guarantee of acceptable age.

Third, the argument against Federals or Nankang-made faux XVS or whatever merely round & black rubbish is not that they won't keep the rims off the tarmac or feel fine when quietly trundling around but that they are going to be part of the problem, not the solution, if one's beloved DS is involved in an emergency swerve &/or brake in the wet. There are not a lot of classic tyre tests about but the estimable German publication AutoBild does them & I have an electronic copy of a test of classic tyres including the Nankang-made Retro faux-XVS & Michelin's XWX. Also included is a very mediocre modern tyre, the Maxxis MAP-1. A quick summary is that none of the classic tyres is dramatically superior to the mediocre MAP-1, the XWX is disappointing (the XVS would fare worse, especially in the wet) & the Retro in appallingly bad across the board.

When it comes to 165-400 though, the choice is X or X or X. As opined above, I'd use Longstone's on stock age grounds.

cheers! Peter
Ahhh...... I wondered when you would turn up again.
Your suggestion of 195/65 15 is not really appropriate.
The rolling diameter is too small.
At 40mm smaller than the XVS they just won't do here in the bush, with a fair bit of dirt driving.
Years ago I used 195/80 15 Bridgestone Duellers. They were great. High and strong. I never had one fail before wearing out, where Michelins rarely survived to be worn out.
If there was a 195/75 15 ..... that would be perfect on the front, and i'd put 175 on the back.

And...... stock age.... ha ha ha.

I always (when possible) store my tyres for at least a year before fitting.
New soft rubber just doesn't do the job, for long!

And here we go again...... about the sudden emergency swerve or wet braking.

DRIVE TO THE CONDITIONS!

In 48 years of driving, and it must be getting close to 2 million km, I have never ....... NEVER..... exceeded the limits of my tyres. This includes 10 year old nicely hardened Michelins, as well as cheap round black things.

We don't all drive like Fangio, and don't want to.

Some observations:

cheers! Peter
Peter,
Your suggestion of a totally inappropriate sized tyre, reflects an inability to answer the question posed by the thread starter and a lack of current or recent real world Citroën D ownership experience.
What is available here in Australia, IN THE CORRECT SIZE is the subject of the thread and specifically experience of living with the Nankang.

Bob,
The Nankang has proved to be a suitable tyre, though like everything, the price has increased considerably ( and availability has decreased ) in the past 18 months. They’re a decent useable and affordable consideration.

I was thinking of modding rim for 16inch tyres but It was not worth it as I only drive occasionally. I will get a set locally= 1600AUD fitted....

Hi guys. I'm looking at tyres for a MkII Jag. Very different vehicle to the D but similar size, being 185R15. I was wondering about Vredesteins. Not as cheap as a Nankang but much cheaper than the classic Michelins or Pirellis. Has anyone used these?

Hi guys. I'm looking at tyres for a MkII Jag. Very different vehicle to the D but similar size, being 185R15. I was wondering about Vredesteins. Not as cheap as a Nankang but much cheaper than the classic Michelins or Pirellis. Has anyone used these?
Hi guys,

I used Maxxis tyres on my 404 resto. So far, so good. They are quiet and responsive. That being said, after 9 years of rebuilding, I'm not exacting throwing the car around. Have had cause to do one emergency stop recently and the tyres did what was expected.

Very reasonably priced as well.

Have a look around their web site.

https://maxxistyres.com.au/
https://maxxistyres.com.au/tyres/hp5/

Dano

Last edited:
I've had Vredesteins on a D, they were noisy but otherwise sound. Not easily available where I live and were already fitted.

Hi guys,

I used Maxxis tyres on my 404 resto. So far, so good. They are quiet and responsive. That being said, after 9 years of rebuilding, I'm not exacting throwing the car around. Have had cause to do one emergency stop recently and the tyres did what was expected.

Very reasonably priced as well.

Have a look around their web site.

https://maxxistyres.com.au/
https://maxxistyres.com.au/tyres/hp5/

Dano
I followed your link Dano, but didn't see anything in the required size?

The only 185/80 is 13"