Peugeot 205 Gti 1988 Speedo Cable

JoshD

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, my speedo cable has stopped working on my 88' 205 Gti, so where can I source a replacement in Australia? I am running the original instrument cluster but have a Mi16 Series 1 gearbox in it. Will I need a Mi16 cable, 205 gti cable or a custom job? I want to replace it at the same time I pull it apart so don't have the existing cable on hand. Cheers

Should just be a 205 length one. Its probably jumped out of the drive in the gearbox or off the back of the cluster. Check the gearbox first. The cluster can only be checked be removing some of the dash and removing the cluster. You will need to do this to replace it anyway so you may find its just popped out.

So a Mi16 gearbox has the same drive input as a 205 gearbox?

Josh
Did you end up sourcing a new cable?
I can’t find one anywhere in Aus, eBay variants are many for the same car
Just causes doubt when trying to source using part number, and multiple lengths, styles appear!

Cheers

I got hold of a Mi16 one from a wreck, which are apparently the same, so will be trying to install that next week.

Last time I had my box out I removed the speedo inner cable and gave it a good grease up. Speedo now only has a very small flicker in it from time to time. When refitting make sure the bends in the cable are nice and smooth and as large as possible. :)

I found the rubber on both speedo cables of mine had deteriorated near the exhaust. I have since wrapped the new one in foil heat wrap, in theory to stop it drying out. Since re-routing it a different way from factory it has absolutely no wobble.

As long as you have the end fittings, that are repairable.
Have done many over years
Speedo Cables One of many, many companies