GS: Another Box Ticked

pottsy

Citroen Loony & BMC Nutter.
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Ever since the first time I bent down to put something in GiSelle's boot, I've been contemplating creating this. The boot on the GS is a good size and shape, it's just that, especially when the car is de-pressurised, it's really low to access.

Once the brain cells kicked in, I figured that a slide out floor arrangement might be the proverbial water bird's testicles, so I hunted around to see what I had, or would need.

A sheet of aluminium checker plate was sitting quietly in the shed looking at me. I also had some aluminium lengths to serve as stiffening for the sheet. (and the front one doubling up as a handle)

The House of Bunning stocks some heavy duty drawer slides which seem to work just as well set flat as vertically, so a pair of those was obtained (click and collect of course!).

Today saw a frenzy of measuring, cutting, rivnutting and riveting culminating in this piece of Pottsy Art. The final piece de resistance was fitting the original boot mat I made under the slide out section, with a couple of strategic cuts for the runners. My new favourite tool is the air powered shear that made a doddle of cutting the aluminium plate to size.
Floor 1.jpg
Floor 2.jpg
Floor 3.jpg
Floor 4.jpg
Floor 5.jpg

I'm really happy with the final result. The runners are supposed to be good for 125kg, but I suspect less than half that would be wise since they're mounted flat, not vertically. Still sufficient though I reckon. Size of the slide out panel is 840mm deep by 940mm wide.

Not patented yet, so feel free to copy if you must. I only charge in Single Malt as a royalty! :)

Cheers, Pottsy

wow that is clever.
If I ever get a GS again it will be a wagon.
I have to say back in about 1983 or so I transported a Hoover front load washing machine in the boot of my GS 1220 sedan.
It JUST fit. As in, tight sliding fit. Try that in any other sedan (except a P76...)

Great idea Pottsy. I'll look at that for stage 4 of Gaston's upgrade. Still in the final stages of stage 2 - rebuilt engine /transmission back in last Sunday and now installing all the fiddly bits. Ian

Great idea. But why not go further and redirect the exhaust to right under the center of the plate, so that on longer trips, you can use as a bbq plate and cook a couple of cutlets and eggs?

at least the boot lid isn't in the way like iwth a CX :) Nice! I'm guessing you took a close look at the fridge slide and drawers fitted to a lot of 4wds ?

Last edited:
Funny you should say that Dave. Spent today loading (with help from older sons) a large container with all of Sister-in-laws furniture prior to her moving out. If I was old I'd possibly fit your above description! :)

Oh, and Shane, it sort of grew from the youngest son's creation of a fridge slide in the back of his classic Rangie. Held in place by the tailgate when folded up and sliding out on rollers attached to the inside of said tailgate.

The drawer slides I used are probably not intended to operate flat, rather, are intended for mounting either side of a drawer. That being said, they work well and as long as I don't add too much weight they should be good for quite a while.

Cheers, Pottsy.

Last edited:
it makes me wonder if Citroen wasn't kicking thhemselves for not making them a proper hatch like an R16 when they first came out, maybe scared they'd cop some legal action? Definitely next version sorted it out.

Having owned the GSA hatchback whilst travelling for a few months in Europe, consequently using the boot daily for luggage, I’d have to say I still think the wagon is the best solution in the GS range, as that lip on the hatchback boot creates its own lifting loads issues (as did a similar lip on the R16). With the BX they at least kept the bumper level with the lip, giving you something to rest / balance loads upon as you shuffled them into or out of the boot.

Ever since the first time I bent down to put something in GiSelle's boot, I've been contemplating creating this. The boot on the GS is a good size and shape, it's just that, especially when the car is de-pressurised, it's really low to access.

Once the brain cells kicked in, I figured that a slide out floor arrangement might be the proverbial water bird's testicles, so I hunted around to see what I had, or would need.

A sheet of aluminium checker plate was sitting quietly in the shed looking at me. I also had some aluminium lengths to serve as stiffening for the sheet. (and the front one doubling up as a handle)

The House of Bunning stocks some heavy duty drawer slides which seem to work just as well set flat as vertically, so a pair of those was obtained (click and collect of course!).

Today saw a frenzy of measuring, cutting, rivnutting and riveting culminating in this piece of Pottsy Art. The final piece de resistance was fitting the original boot mat I made under the slide out section, with a couple of strategic cuts for the runners. My new favourite tool is the air powered shear that made a doddle of cutting the aluminium plate to size.View attachment 126464View attachment 126465View attachment 126466View attachment 126467View attachment 126468

I'm really happy with the final result. The runners are supposed to be good for 125kg, but I suspect less than half that would be wise since they're mounted flat, not vertically. Still sufficient though I reckon. Size of the slide out panel is 840mm deep by 940mm wide.

Not patented yet, so feel free to copy if you must. I only charge in Single Malt as a royalty! :)

Cheers, Pottsy

Attachments

• 845486DF-69EB-4487-9E88-CC7808D04798.jpeg
    845486DF-69EB-4487-9E88-CC7808D04798.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 155
Well blow me down! I thought I was being original. Shows there are other thinkers out there.

I might box mine in like that one day but want see how it goes as is first.

Thanks, Pottsy.

That is old DS theory. Breaks had two number plates on the lower tailgate, one vertical, one horizontal so the number plate was always visible.

That is old DS theory. Breaks had two number plates on the lower tailgate, one vertical, one horizontal so the number plate was always visible.
Incorrect M.Fritzelhund! The GS sedan never had 2 number plates. In any case, this one is clearly inside the boot.!

This all reminds me of when we were getting packed up back in 1981 to return to Brisbane in the GS Pallas after 3 years living and working in Perth. We were going to be without our stuff for a few months at least when we got back to Brisbane, so we decided to load some kitchen essentials and clothes/linen in the boot and live out of bags on the back seat during the trip.

Did you know that two of the old tea chests fit very neatly side by side into a GS boot. I had to cut them down a bit so they wouldn't foul on the boot roof and the 6 x 9s in the parcel shelf, and then we loaded them up to the brim and then manhandled them into the boot where they stayed unmolested for the duration of the trip.

Getting them in and out would have been easier with the drawer slider but that would have involved a slight loss of height and capacity.

Cheers, Ken

Well, with time on my hands, I used the photo of the boxed in version as a partial inspiration for an addition. I had an offcut of the checker plate aluminium which was slightly narrower than the floor plate. I decided to mount it at the back as a deterrent to stuff falling down the back as well as providing a partial luggage barrier.

A bit of work with the bevel gauge and some bracketry saw it all mounted up. Serendipitously, the slightly narrower dimension of the offcut enables it to fit past the lower mounts of the gas struts when removing the plate completely. I'd love to claim I thought of that but I'd be lying! :)

So this is the final iteration for the moment, but never say never!

Cheers, Pottsy.
Floor 6.jpg

Last edited: