508 HDi Issues?

GBW

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
My 508 HDi is about to come out of warranty and I was hoping to call upon the collective experience of other owners as to what issues might be looming before I take it to a dealer for the last service while still in warranty.

The only issues I have detected so far, which were mentioned at the last service 12 months ago and not satisfactorily addressed are;
1. clunky front right suspension, particularly when braking in reverse
2. slow to engage drive from reverse when cold
3. possible heater core leak, I think it's smelly when operating.
4. the GPS has a female voice with a broad Scottish accent. How is that possible? Some words are almost incomprehensible.

Otherwise it performs beautifully and by far the best touring car I have owned, in 40 years of driving Peugeots.

Thanks
ps. The 406 ST which i still own, has better suspension, but is somewhat wanting in the performance department, particularly compared to the 508.

Last edited:
Howdie

i had a 508 HDI for three years - second owner - from about 60K to 150K ... issues:

- two electric window mechanisms failed - full units had to be replaced - about $2000 each!
- the auto/sports gear box started to malfunction in that it (in full auto mode) would get stuck in a gear and not move up or down. Had to pull over and let it cool down (or something?) and would usually come back to normal. To avoid this i used it in sports mode all the time. To try and minimise future gear box issues i had the mechanic "clean" and top up the gear box oil regularly - even though mechanics are told not to touch the gear boxes ... it never got worse but i never worked out what the fix was. I had error codes checked out and followed up - never sure if it was an electrical or mechanical issues with the box

eventually had the car traded in as part of buying the next vehicle

cheers and good luck

Jeremy

I have a C5, which has the same HDI engine and Aisin gearbox as a P508. I have never experienced that gear shift problem, and I'd ask about it.

The heater in any car can get mouldy growth internally, as it's warm and damp. It may be this that smells.

Brake pads can shift a tiny amount when you reverse. It is easy to check if the wheel is off.

I wish my C5 has a Scottish lass to speak to me!

Second on the noise coming from the brake pads.
My 308 had this, and it went away after changing the brake pads.
I found that one pad was sticking slightly as it had worn more than the others, so I added some lube to the slides. Could have something to do with the noise. Either way, it is gone now.