308 wagon spare wheel

dimistyle

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
So a few of us know the issue of the 307 wagon spare wheel winch jamming up or not working but this is slightly different.
Helping a retired guy get a 308 wagon back on the road but we can't get a RWC as we can't install the spare wheel underneath as the winch works but we can't source the box that connects to the winch cable. Strangely enough when he bought the car it had no jack thats because it fits within the box!

Other than this is a s $#@% design of having to grovel under a car to get the wheel out was thinking we make up a metal/alloy plate instead of trying to find the original box.

If anyone has a leads on where i can find this elusive box as not been able to find one in the Brisbane to Sunny Coast otherwise the plate idea will need to be followed.

Well finally tracked the wheel holder down a local wrecker with no interest in French cars had to check if it was a wagon or hatch.
Said I need to buy the winch as well as wont sell separately.

He spent 1.5hr trying to lower the winch which was of course seized.

So ended up just selling me the plastic box. ..hooray.
1 step closer to RWC.

Any one know how the front windscreen plastic side covers are removed and installed without breaking them?

I thought you were after a spare wheel - I could have helped with that.

Part 15 ? 80 seems to be the key...

308windscreen.jpg

Cheers

Justin

first class taxis ,reedy creek west burleigh heads ,wreck peugeot ,0755221525 ,ask for parts section .

Fyi having a spare wheel in the vehicle is not a rwc requirement. If you have a spare wheel fitted it needs to be secure. The tyre on that spare does not need to meet rwc requirements.

FWIW. Every roadworthy certificate I have had done has required the tyre on the spare wheel to be roadworthy.
And that seems to be the problem with the Victorian system. Everyone can make up their own standards.

When I have purchased vehicles in Victoria, or have looked at purchasing one, I have been told different things by different RWC testers.

The NSW system has its own problems, but not along those lines, IMO.

It's a money maker Robmac. Whilst having a roadworthy spare makes sense, it's not part of a 'minimum safety check'. If a rwc spare is a requirement, then the police can defect you for having just changed out your shredded tyre. Yes it's common sense to have a good spare at all times, but it can't fail a car in an inspection.