tuning light 15

This is a summary someone did on the second chance garage site that had short videos of all 15 scenarios. Maybe someone doesn't have the correct software or adobe installed, I don't know.
If one can get the short videos let the others know how you did it. They were very good.

"This is your typical vacuum gauge.
2393_13lo.jpg

As you can see, its a temporary installation, and used only when there is trouble.

However many manufactures now sell gauges you can put on your dash or A-pillar so you can read vacuum on the go!
413E7EDSVAL.jpg

Its VERY important that you hook up your gauge to a constant vacuum source, otherwise the readings you will get are useless.

The most important thing to do when using a vacuum gauge is to connect it to a constant vacuum source on the engine. Some manifolds incorporate a plug that may be removed for such purposes. If none exists, the next best place to connect is the PCV hose. If that's too hard to reach, connect to the power brake vacuum hose (on the engine side of the one-way valve in the hose).
Most gauges read in "Inches of Mercury" or abbreviated "in/Hg" or simply in.Hg
Some people prefer to measure in other units. For simplicity's sake. We're going to stick with in/Hg.

Now you're probably asking at this point,

"How in the hell can it tell me somethings wrong with my engine? Its just gonna move when I open and close my throttle plate. How useful is that?"

Well you are right! Under normal operating parameters the throttle fluctuation will cause the gauge to fluctuate normally. However outside of normal operating parameters, you will notice a difference in the gauges reading, be it at idle, or under throttle.

Here are some typical scenarios, Better explained by Second Chance Garage. (Color Coded based on severity. Red being serious and green being not serious.)

Scenario 1:
Engine: Stock at Idle
Gauge display: 15-22 in/Hg HOLDING STEADY.
Means: The engine is operating normally. The compression is fine, and there are no vacuum leaks or ignition anomalies.

Scenario 2:
Engine: Stock WOT or Rapid acceleration and Decel
Gauge Display: Drop to 0 in/hg and slow rise. On Decel (while engine is revved up) Increase to 25-30 in/hg and return to normal
Means: The engine is operating normally. During WOT the intake momentarily equalizes pressure resulting in the vacuum drop. During Decel the vacuum will increase due to the difference of pressure from the throttle being closed.

Scenario 3:
Engine: High Performance Cammed engines at Idle
Gauge Display: ~15 in/Hg Typically. Needle will shake slightly.
Means: Engine is operating normally. The needle shake is from valve overlap. As a result the vacuum level varies slightly as the valves are open at the same time. They real lower than stock engines due to high durations, and their high lift.

Scenario 4:
Engine: Worn piston rings and/or diluted oil
Gauge Display: 15-17 in/Hg @ Idle | 0 in/Hg @ WOT | 20-23 in/Hg @ Decel from WOT
Means: The piston rings are leaking allowing gasses to escape and results in lower vacuum.

Scenario 5:
Engine: Sticking Valves
Gauge Display: Flicking needle. Drops of 2-3 in/Hg while idling.
Means: When the needle flicks, the faulty valve is being triggered.

Scenario 6:
Engine: Burned or Constantly Leaking Valves
Gauge Display: Evenly spaced Downward flicking from Idle vacuum. Usually 6-8 in/Hg
Means: You're valves are burned and/or are constantly leaking!

Scenario 7:
Engine: Poorly Seated Valves
Gauge Display: Regular downward movements of 2-4 in/Hg at idle (not really a "quick" needle movement)
Means: One (or more) of your Valves are poorly seated.

Scenario 8:
Engine: Worn Valve Guides
Gauge Display:Regular swing of 4-6 in/Hg @ idle.
Means: To check slowly increase engine speed. If the needle slowly becomes steady, then you are safe to assume your valve guides are worn.

Scenario 9:
Engine: Weak Valve Springs
Gauge Display: Violent flicking of 10-14 in/Hg under gradual throttle increase.
Means: If the reading at idle was relatively steady, this usually means you have Weak Springs.

Scenario 10:
Engine: Slight Intake Leak or Late Valve Timing
Gauge Display: Low steady reading @ ~10 in/Hg at Idle
Means: Test your intake with carb cleaner or starter fluid in hopes for the engine to smooth or RPMs to change. If not and your intake is sound, then You have a lot of work to do in order to properly correct the issue.

Scenario 11:
Engine: Retarded Ignition timing or Poorly Gapped plugs and/or Defective Breaker Points
Gauge Display: A steady but "mediocre" reading at ~15 in/Hg. at Idle
Means: You may need to adjust timing. If accompanied by a regular pulsation (not a flicker.) Then check your plug gapping and/or breaker points if so equipped.

Scenario 12:
Engine: MAJOR Intake Leak
Gauge Display:Low steady reading of 3-6 in/Hg at idle.
Means: You have a serious leak, inspect all gaskets. If nothing is found, trace your vacuum system looking for cracked, split, disconnected hoses and loose fittings.

Scenario 13:
Engine: Blown head gasket
Gauge Display:Starts at normal then drops regularly.
Means: Usually made obvious by smoking and other symptoms, this is typical of a blown head gasket.

Scenario 14:
Engine: Clogged Exhaust System
Gauge Display: On start and idle, normal vacuum reading. As engine speed increases, vacuum slowly decreases.
Means: Your exhaust is plugged somehow. Inspect it. It is not always the cat, but sometimes the muffler too.

Scenario 15:
Engine: Maladjusted Idle Mixture (Typically carburated engines)
Gauge Display: Slow movement from 13-17 in/Hg
Means: Maladjusted F/A Mixture. Once adjusted reading will return to normal.

Now this is just many common scenarios that can be typically decipered using the obligatory vacuum gauge.

If you wanna see pictures along with the descriptions, You can do so here [this link is where the error occurs].
Which is a very useful resource.

I hope this has cleared up many questions about Vacuum Gauges, and hopefully everyone will throw one in their tool box just in case!

Happy Tuning!

(if anything needs to be added or changed, please let me know.)

Information culminated from both existing knowledge and knowledge obtained from Secondchancegarage.com"

Thanks Artificer :)
I did google How to Use and Interpret a Vacuum Gauge and found images of using them and tables of readings like Artificer has said here. So if anyone wants to look further there is more information to be easily found.
In our modern electronic world possibly a simple gauge is overlooked as it has no switch to turn it on and no flashing lights. I did use mine recently to diagnose a blocked cat that i did write up on AF.
Jaahn
example of one random site; https://d2culxnxbccemt.cloudfront.net/car/content/uploads/2017/03/10131139/CCRC-Vacuum-image.png

With regards to tuning. Have a look at "Uncle Tonys garage" on youtube. Forget the fact he loves old Mopar v8s .... His understanding of the basics of *anything* automotive is fascinating. His carby, ignition and vacuum gauge videos are great ( the old carby automatic chokes, his overview of them is spot on .... I didn't understand at all how they worked until I watch that video).

hi guys yeah that link was helpful, on vacuum gauge,took carb off and stripped it down cleaned everything and put it back on,no change
connected vacuum gauge to drain pipe at bottom of inlet manifold and gauge says its in the normal range,maybe its just me
but when you stand behind car an listen to exhaust, sounds like its missing to me,no change in mixture screw but plugs
suggest its running pretty rich will take it for a run tomorrow and keep you posted, thanks for your help cheers.

Scoutpilot' take on using gauges....setting up a Jeep but gives one a good idea on what can be done.
Be aware high performance cams etc will have effects on vacuum readings as does altitude.

Last edited:
My light 15 didn't have a miss as such but would occasionally 'spit ' or hesitate on idle at the exhaust. Is this what yours is doing? I always thought maybe valves.

pull the rocker cover off and watch it running. It may have bent pushrods if the motor has ever sat for any length of time!

Hi all,
I am interested in getting a vacuum gauge to check out our various citroens. Would you say a cheapish (Repco/Toledo) one (seem to be combined vacuum gauge and fuel pump pressure testers so 'goes both ways') be fine? They are around $60 to $80 (Repco 30% off such things this week).
Thanks Leconte

(ps yes I know strictly speaking this is "tech tool talk" thread talk)

Last edited:
Cost is not an important factor to a DIY guy. A professional may pay a bit more but the results will be the same.
Check E-Pay about AUD $25 delivered:
Carburettor Carb Valve Fuel Pump Pressure Vacuum Tester Gauge Test Tool Kit
Harbor Freight in the US is about USD $15 so not a bad deal.

If doing ignition timing you really need to road test then be able to recognize & eliminate any over advance....pinging by retarding [usually anti-clockwise] the distributor gradually until noise is gone.

Also be aware that there is often more than one thing going on on older cars so the vacuum gauge can be showing more than one thing.
Don't get discouraged just eliminate one thing & a time.

They are a wonderful inexpensive tool with many uses, as is an automotive multi-meter & a trouble light.

OTC & Lisle are listed on Amazon AU @ not much more & are both very good brands.

Last edited:
hey guys great information on how to use vacuum gauge,didn't realize it could do so much,pulled
rocker cover off and yes can see two bent push rods,why does this happen ? just too thin under pressure :rolleyes:
or wear an tear,suppose i have to remove complete rocker assembly,or will push rod come out if i take
tappet adjust screw out anyhow great debate cheers :cheers:

Sticking valve guides will cause this! Push rods will come out just by undoing the tappet adjustment! Test each valve for 'Bounce' of the spring by tapping with a ball-pein hammer. Lubricate the valve stems with WD-40 until the hammer will bounce off each valve evenly and regularly.
Your engine has perhaps sat for some time with out being run? I used to get Number four inlet sticking and used this method to free it up. After running for some time it longer sticks! The push rods can be straightened but do it carefully. If in doubt ---replace!