The new Peugeot 208 has beat 6 other finalists to claim Europe's Car of the Year

The sneering bonnet is a real turn-off. The distorted form is not based on the radiator behind. It is just the work of a scribbler who has never been involved with design. Who finds these perpetually juvenile stylists to give salesmen their new model point of difference?

Citroen particularly suffers from them.

That's three current model Peugeots that are European Car of the Year winners:

308 in 2014
3008 in 2017
208 in 2020

It would be a real shame if Inchcape considered dropping the 208 altogether...

The front looks like the butt end of a Mustang.....

Cheers

Justin

yet despite the win, Peugeot Australia decided not to sell 208 anymore. Not selling the European car of the year 2020 - wise move Peugeot Australia
Where did you read this?? That is utterly absurd!! Do Peugeot Australia want to fail?? Cutting the 308 GT and GTI, cheapening the interiors and inclusions on the Allure and GT-Line and raising the prices, and now not selling the 208.. it is absolutely ridiculous. They are making their best cars but they just can't seem to promote them or bring them out in a timely manner.

Are they pulling a Renault and dropping all their good products to focus on dumb arse SUVs?

I currently own a 308 2.0 HDi (they don't sell these any more) and a 308 1.6THP (they don't sell these any more).

What do I buy next ? The reliability of the 1.2 scares me.....

Is this just Inchcape trying to run the brand down ?

Cheers

Justin

Matters in France may be occupying the minds of the French makers. Lots of red ink for the last quarter. Money to promote new models on the Australian market may be short. But the 8 billion euro subsidy program to support new car sales seems to be working with 233,000 sold June, up 1.2% on last June. Renault up 6.5%, PSA down a worrying 9.1%. Subsidies of 7000 euro for an electric, scrapping subsidies of up to 5000 euro, so up to 12000 euro off a new electric. Renault predicts the market will be back 20% for the year.
Inchcape is a British company that operates on a high margin/profit basis. The Australian operation stands out on their balance sheet for its low return. Rather than work to restore sales to an earlier level they brought out a corporate undertaker from Europe to downsize the operation. Having successfully reduced the dealer network, put Citroen into a coma and reduced Peugeot sales to the 1950's the executive has moved on to Renault Australia. If the French makers do eventually decide to have major Australian operations they will have to partner with Australian distributors that share the same objective.

It's likely (though nowhere near certain) the first electric or hybrid Pug here will be the new 2008.

Given the generous subsidy on electrics in France of up to 12000 euro the prospect of a difficult sell in Australia is not attractive. Which is why Renault is withdrawing their low selling electric model from this market.

They need to go back to basics - what do the customers want to see (and buy)?
more dumb ass SUVs less car of the year models.

They need to go back to basics - what do the customers want to see (and buy)?
more dumb ass SUVs less car of the year models.
Citroën:
Berlingo – 0
C3 – 4
C3 Aircross – 0
C4 Cactus – 0
C5 Aircross – 6
Dispatch – 0

Peugeot:
208 – 0
2008 – 2
308 – 19
3008 – 144
508 – 12
5008 – 24
Boxer – 5
Expert – 52
Partner – 32

pretty obvious what sells

Citroën:
Berlingo – 0
C3 – 4
C3 Aircross – 0
C4 Cactus – 0
C5 Aircross – 6
Dispatch – 0

Peugeot:
208 – 0
2008 – 2
308 – 19
3008 – 144
508 – 12
5008 – 24
Boxer – 5
Expert – 52
Partner – 32

pretty obvious what sells
I agree that Australians are obsessed with SUVs at the moment. The 208 and now the 2008 should really be dropped off this list as they're no longer available for sale (208 supply stopped in Sep 2019 and there are few 2008s left).

It won't sell if there is no stock (look at the Citroën numbers, for example).

Parents are now buying small SUVs for their kids instead of small hatchbacks - but not 2008s because they are almost runout and not good value compared with the other makes. Hopefully the new version makes it here though.

Renault are also abandoning the non-SUV market, other than RenaultSport Megane variants.

Peugeot no longer has an a Australia wide presence. (Citroen never had one). There is not a dealer between Ballarat in Victoria and Adelaide. Another dealer in Perth and that's it for the rest of Australia. The dealer network serves the east coast population centres. As it is no longer wise or in some areas legal to drive hundreds of kilometres to buy or service a vehicle Peugeot cannot be considered by buyers in many country parts of Australia. Smart company executives may say so what but they need to adjust their thinking to present economic realities and visit country towns to remind themselves what full order books look like.

I remember walking into Peugeot in Mount Gravatt Brisbane and asking the dealer principal about the e208 electric car. He didn't even know about it. I googled it for him and showed him. I knew more about it than him. He said they get absolutely no communication from Peugeot France or Australia. I decided to walk away - so disappointed!!