POSSIBLE TELSTRA INTERNET OUTAGE??

I kind of liked the story of the cleaning lady that unplugged a lead so that she could plug in a vacuum cleaner..... pretty plausible..;)

Justin, Telstra is the only organization that has a copper wire network in the country. It may be decrepit and have major failures but that's what's there. They seem to have been saddled with the provision of basic phone services when they were privatised. Its not economical to build mobile towers serving remote areas because kangaroos are not good customers. Now white ants like cable so it's not bury and forget. Telstra eventually responds after a complaint is put into the Telecommunications Ombudsman. The Indian call centre staff are most helpful and very polite. Not that anything happens as planned. Eventually after some months and many conversations that rarest and most endangered creature turns up, the experienced Australian technician. Expect to become quite good friends with him because he will be under equipped and will make a number of visits. Eventually a working phone line is re-established and even works when it's wet. Then all will be sweet for some years to come. NBN is via the Skymuster satellite which is okay for most part.

Justin, Telstra is the only organization that has a copper wire network in the country. It may be decrepit and have major failures but that's what's there. They seem to have been saddled with the provision of basic phone services when they were privatised. Its not economical to build mobile towers serving remote areas because kangaroos are not good customers. Now white ants like cable so it's not bury and forget. Telstra eventually responds after a complaint is put into the Telecommunications Ombudsman. The Indian call centre staff are most helpful and very polite. Not that anything happens as planned. Eventually after some months and many conversations that rarest and most endangered creature turns up, the experienced Australian technician. Expect to become quite good friends with him because he will be under equipped and will make a number of visits. Eventually a working phone line is re-established and even works when it's wet. Then all will be sweet for some years to come. NBN is via the Skymuster satellite which is okay for most part.

I was one of the lucky ones on each occassion. I never had to engage the Ombudsman, but yes, mostly everything you mention there matches my experience over the years. My mother-in-law has had great experience through Skymuster but her requirements are quite low.

Cheers

Justin

Telstra's "copper wire" PSTN network will be largely unused when the NBN roll out is completed.

All NBN connections, in the city and suburbs at least, use a VOIP phone service via the ISP gateway.

At the current time Telstra are not connecting any new copper wire telephone services. Nor are they maintaining the copper wires.

They only telstra copper wires which will remain in use is their HFC network, part of which is rented to NBN Co and the service lines used by NBN co to connect Fibre to the pit customers to the internet.

IMO SKYMUSTER is a disaster waiting to happen. It is massively under specified to perform the tasks required of it.
Even now it's operation is marginal. NBN were intending to carry out a massive, expensive upgrade late last year. This didn't happen due to budget constraints. As I understand copper wire telephone services are still provided on skymuster sites. Because it's too unreliable for VOIP services.

As usual the Country residents are forced to suffer the inferior services.

Last edited: