Peugeot 508 Heated seat plug

johnnyc

Tadpole
Hi everyone.

I have just purchased a 508 GT wagon. It is a lovely car but so far the Driver's side heated seat isn't working.

I am aware this is a common problem and have done a lot of research. I will check the ground etc and then try to source a new plug.

Can anyone recommend where to buy such a plug? I would prefer to go new so I'd rather not ring my local wrecker.

thanks for any help in advance. Attached is the picture of the burnt out plug

Attachments

• 508 Seat plug.jpg
    508 Seat plug.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 1,360
I wouldn't bother replacing at this stage as nothing looks melted. Go down to Jaycar and buy there contact restorer cleans the contacts and then coats them.
Try adding a little pressure on each contact sprin with a toothpick..they are also in the cleaning set from Jaycar.
Leave for a day unconnected and reconnect.

If you buy the replacement connector you will need the correct crimp tool for the new contacts anyway.

I wouldn't bother replacing at this stage as nothing looks melted. Go down to Jaycar and buy there contact restorer cleans the contacts and then coats them.
Try adding a little pressure on each contact sprin with a toothpick..they are also in the cleaning set from Jaycar.
Leave for a day unconnected and reconnect.

If you buy the replacement connector you will need the correct crimp tool for the new contacts anyway.
Have you seen the top left pin? It's very much melted...

Cheers. I will give your suggestion a go in regards to the connectors.

I already own a few wire stripping and crimping tools so re-connecting a new plug is relatively straight forward if it doesn't work

JC

Oops.....yes a bit melted. Similar to whats seen in the engine bay fuse boxes on some PSA vehicles.
File the plastic flat again. See if you can push it out of the plug. Clean, retention put back in.
If not held in place any longer a new plug may need to be used.

Oops.....yes a bit melted. Similar to whats seen in the engine bay fuse boxes on some PSA vehicles.
File the plastic flat again. See if you can push it out of the plug. Clean, retention put back in.
If not held in place any longer a new plug may need to be used.
Cheers I will give this a go! Appreciate it

So I'm interested in the cause of the failure. Are you saying the plug / pin is the cause of the failure and 'fixing' that resolves the issue never to come back again ?

Or is the pin count / size under-specified and this overloading / burning of the circuit will simply reoccur ?

We've had similar plug burning issues in the tail light circuits of both a 308 Touring and our C3. Both issues were only resolved by duplicating the earth wiring as the original earth wire into the tail light circuit was under-specified.

Cheer

Justin

So I'm interested in the cause of the failure. Are you saying the plug / pin is the cause of the failure and 'fixing' that resolves the issue never to come back again ?

Or is the pin count / size under-specified and this overloading / burning of the circuit will simply reoccur ?

We've had similar plug burning issues in the tail light circuits of both a 308 Touring and our C3. Both issues were only resolved by duplicating the earth wiring as the original earth wire into the tail light circuit was under-specified.

Cheer

Justin
From what I've read on overseas forums, the wires on the female plug are bent in an awkward position which can cause issues with resistance. When I inspected the plug under the seat, this did seem to be the case. I will clean the pins tomorrow and check function but I am leaning towards extending the loom to the female plug just to be safe.

Sensible, connectors with pins under strain by wiring is a recipe for disaster. do as suggested relieve strain / stress and follow the instructions above to ensure good connectivity of each pin.

They are a gorgeous looking car! Congrats.

I don't think you'll have any issue for at 3-4 years. they seem to go bad after then. Maybe they've upgraded the plug from the dodgy molex type connector so it may be ok!

Hi, Just read these threads and I also have the same issue of not heating the driver side. I see an airbag label on the side of the seat. Is there any chance I could make a mistake disconnecting the wrong connector and Air bag to deploy ?

Thanks for your reply, Just to confirm do I need to remove the battery or switch off the car completely is OK ?

The connectors under D9 406s give trouble as well - lack of proper strain relief and possibly poor quality connectors.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get this fixed. I had this car for 7 years and this is the first time this sort of issues. As per forum, I also noticed that right side does not get warm air when the heating is on. Not sure it's interconnected to the same issue.