The Grand GTi Revival.

EvilElmo

Fellow Frogger
After three months I'm kinda Nearly done,
Booked in for a blue slip on thursday, might make it... :)

(I went wildly off topic in another thread with this, I thought I'd put it somewhere a bit more relevant, My GTi was blowing smoke just like that when I got it. It had low fuel pressure so it would only run with the AFM disconnected, (WOT signal) which causes the sump to fill with fuel, so it had almost seven litres of two stroke mix instead of five litres oil...
Same thing happened to my Si when the vac line to the MAP sensor busted.)

So far it's had -
Fuel pump reducer pipe, fuel filter, drive shaft, timing belt/tensioner, water pump, rust repair, fixed the wipers, re-tracked the AFM, reset the throttle switch, new slave cylinders in the back, new master cylinder, replaced the front brake lines, reconditioned the headlights AND fitted glass!
Fitted correct slam panel, polished random body panels, repaired the glovebox lid, removed various bits of random wiring, Cleaned all the plugs/connectors under the bonnet, cleaned the broken glass out of the drivers door....
- And so much more!

Before...
IMG_7044.jpg

gti2.jpg

gti3.jpg

(A strange attachment).

Attachments

• gti1.jpg
    gti1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Nice 205 Evil!
Looks like a survivor alright! Great to see another S1 being revived. I'm looking forward to some after pics also [emoji102][emoji106]

Thanks,
It's a 1987 1.6 english import. I bought it back in april pretty cheap. Last rego'd in 1998 I think.
So far, I've thrown about another thousand bucks at it.
The plan is get it to the FCD next week. :)

Highlights so far - As new never been used ashtrays, (sounds silly, but have YOU ever seen three in the same car?)
Lowlights so far - Both nuts and the bolt on the cam belt tensioner only finger tight.

More random before pics.
IMG_7043.jpggti4.jpgIMG_7046.jpg

Nice find, got to be rare here and in the UK! and that interior inc dash looks excellent, you should see the sorry state my S1 dash is in!
And low km's that's great. I especially like your lhs headlight, is that where the turbo breathes!?!? [emoji12]

The dash has a little damage around the glovebox, apart from that it's very nice.
Both headlights were like that, so twin turbos I think?

Finally got to go for a spin around the block today, happy days! :)
Pretty much functioned like a proper car. The engine has a little stumble now and again, but nothing too bad, vaccum leak maybe...
A different animal to my Si for sure, snappier throttle, shorter gears, heavier and longer steering, and more power!
I thought it wasn't that quick at first, then I remembered the speedo's in MPH....Oops! :)

Well apparently there is a waiting period if you want the nsw peugeot club to sign off on the classic car rego paperwork.
And it also needs to go through a committee?? Would have been nice if that was on their website.
So one less red GTi at the FCD...Dunno if I'll even bother bringing the grey one at this stage..:(

If I got a decent offer I'd probably sell this little F'er right this moment...

In Brisbane there are plenty of multi-make classic car clubs in various areas that have approval to sign off for classic car rego in Queensland, maybe there's one near you? There's also the department of transport 1-day permit scheme which allows the car to be driven to a specified location and back, such as for repairs or an event, I presume NSW has something similar? Cheers, James.

There are local "multi-denominational" clubs about, but I'm not really into that kind of cruising scene.
I'd also like to join a club that might understand my 205 fetish...

...Anyways, after a good lie down, a can of beans and a quick chat with a certain big fella, turns out I'm pretty screwed for now as far as club rego goes, need to be a member of PCCONSW for six months first.
If I pass the blue slip on thursday, (vaguely possible) I might consider full rego and just daily drive the feisty little bugger for a while...

Having a UK 1.6 Gti myself i have heaps of spares for it if you need them. [dizzy caps, coils, ign leads ] You will find parts are not as easy to find for it in OZ however some bits are carry overs from the 1.9.

Thanks guys, but I think I'm done with this car stuff for a while.

If you are going to get rid of it by parting out can I have first pick of stuff on it :( Hope you don't though.

Just put 1 year or 6 months full rego on it and drive it for a bit, that's what I've done with mine. Then you can decide whether to go onto club rego after that.

So, having gotten over the worlds worst case of the sulks, I've got a blue slip for the GTi. Don't know how, but I've got one.
And after remembering I don't just own pugs, (48/215 anyone?), I may have found a club that suits my needs.
I'll know more tomorrow...

So, having gotten over the worlds worst case of the sulks, I've got a blue slip for the GTi. Don't know how, but I've got one.
And after remembering I don't just own pugs, (48/215 anyone?), I may have found a club that suits my needs.
I'll know more tomorrow...

Awesome. Who did you end up with? One of the local clubs? Not sure if Bathurst light car club do club plates?