Alternative sources of LHM

duncan16v

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Hey all

As I hunt down the latest LHM Niagara, my thoughts have turned to restocking my dwindling reserve of LHM bottles. A bit of Googling has turned up these options (not paying $30 a bottle for Penrite...):
https://hi-tecoils.com.au/product/lhm-plus-hydraulic-brake-fluid/ available (apparently in 1l, 20l and 200l drums)
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/products/swag-lhm-plus-hydraulic-fluid-1l-64-92-4704 - a reasonable $12.71 a 1l bottle or $15 each including shipping for four bottles
EAI is out of stock - someone nabbed their most recent shipment

I haven't been able to locate a retail source for the Hi-tec oils product yet - they list Auto One as a dealer but they seem to have largely disappeared from the retail landscape.

Anyone got any handy Melbourne sources of LHM that won't break the bank (especially as my car treats it like my better half treats gin)?

At the rate I'm ripping through LHM, a 20l drum makes a lot of sense.

If you are not up to feeding a drum-sized leak ... Sparesbox will have the Swag product on sale at some point and the shipping becomes free over I think $99. Alternatively, see if they are currently listing it via eBay as that maybe cheaper if a discount code applies. You will have to wait though as it can take them a while to deliver. The whole car only uses about 4 litres.

I've emailed Sparesbox asking how many bottles they have in stock. I'm a little wary of them because of silly delays getting stuff in the past. It looks like for a lot of stuff they process the order from the customer, then order it from their supplier - they don't actually hold stock.

'Drop-shipping' is really common in the parts industry. It gives an impression of depth that's not really there. You might even see the last remaining part in existence listed by multiple sites and then suddenly they are all gone!

It's not my preferred approach to changing the LHM. Litres of green goo on the floor like a scene from Mars Attacks.

'Drop-shipping' is really common in the parts industry. It gives an impression of depth that's not really there. You might even see the last remaining part in existence listed by multiple sites and then suddenly they are all gone!
It doth shitteth me mightily

Hi-tec LHM shouldn't be too hard to find. I have seen it on the shelf in the place down the road.

Hi-tec LHM shouldn't be too hard to find. I have seen it on the shelf in the place down the road.
Wow that is dangerous labelling the stuff "Brake Fluid" in big letter :eek:

There are Total distributors in Dandenong and WIlliamstown North. They will sell you a 20 litre drum. Buy a cheap drum pump and you're sorted. That's how I do it. I have been known to carry the drum and pump in the car on a long trip!

Roger

Wow that is dangerous labelling the stuff "Brake Fluid" in big letters
I works in Cit brakes! It is supposed to satisfy the Citroen spec, as well as several others for hydraulic fluid.

The label and data sheet warn about use in Dot brake systems.

... I have been known to carry the drum and pump in the car on a long trip!
If you fixed the leaks, mounted the drum on the back of the car and set it to drip with the same regularity you could achieve the same net result other than the rust preventative benefit.

If you fixed the leaks, mounted the drum on the back of the car and set it to drip with the same regularity you could achieve the same net result other than the rust preventative benefit.
If you buy LHM in 20 litre drums you no longer have it in 1 ltre bottles. Why decant it into used bottles when you can just carry the whole drum around?

Roger

You obviously need to find the leak source before applying more LHM.

Is it dripping out or spraying out? Drips are return and manageable, sprays are at pressure and need attention ASAP.

Of course if desperate - as much as some may deride this suggestion - you can use a mineral based automatic transmission fluid while in discovery mode then later drop that out of the system and replace with LHM.

Settle down, everyone, I fixed the leak long ago. But I still carry the 20 drum on long trips just in case.

Roger

• Haha
Reactions: UFO
I was asked about front BX struts last week. Have you worked out a way of stopping them leaking with the now rock hard return attachments clamped to the front struts?

seeya
Shane L.